glow plugs stuck / loose on 95 E300D help

s_sprry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
85 300d, 95 E300D
Hello,

While changing my deteriorated glow plug wiring harness on my 95 E300D 606 engine (132k) I decided to change the glow plugs (unknown when last done). I soaked the glow plugs in penetrating oil for hours and carefully tried to loosen each one. The first 3 didn't budge so I left them alone. The 4rth one was loose except it was the nut spinning around the gp so I couldn't loosen or tighten. When you wiggle the gp there is a little play in it (unlike the first 3). Also gp #6 has some stuff on the nut (glue or weld ) and is a little loose when you wiggle it so I didn't even touch #6. How can I get these GPs out without removing the head? I'm worried if I leave the loose ones in (#4 and #6) in then they could potentially blow out of the engine. Is there a tool to take these out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
SS
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Bigtee

Reaction score
Get the engine hot from driving it then have a go by working the plug back and forth with plenty of plus gas not wd-40 which is ok for your lawn mower!

Last edited:

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hello,

The 4rth one was loose except it was the nut spinning around the gp so I couldn't loosen or tighten. When you wiggle the gp there is a little play in it (unlike the first 3).

Also gp #6 has some stuff on the nut (glue or weld ) and is a little loose when you wiggle it

Is there a tool to take these out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hi & welcome I wish your first post could have been a bit happier, anyway here is a link video for starters.
http://www.klann-online.de/englisch/Filme_E/KL-0369-30K_E.htm
depending on you engineering back ground this could be a big problem

I have never see the type of glow plug that is in your motor so I dint know the dimensions so as to ascertain tooling to remove the plug but you would need to drill & tap the core before you drill the locating thread to its core diameter, so you can get a bolt in to remove the lower section after they part company
I'll leave it for now to see where your at

Kevin
ps where is maryland

Last edited:

exeng

Reaction score
Hi the glow plug problem you discribe means the glow plug is actually snapped there is little risk of them blowing out i have removed loads of snapped plug but no6 is the problem as it is behind the oil filter

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi the glow plug problem you discribe means the glow plug is actually snapped there is little risk of them blowing out i have removed loads of snapped plug but no6 is the problem as it is behind the oil filter
Hi steve what would one need regarding no6

Kevin

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
its a more complicated matter to remove them than you would imagine when they snap! id not be too keen to attempt it. im not steady enough with a drill and i dont have the other tools required. Steve's (exeng) the man to point you in the right direction. i had no4 break off on me. 1 phone call to organise it and Steve appeared and sorted mine for me. Top man!

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hey Steve Fancy a trip to America ;)

OP
S

s_sprry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
85 300d, 95 E300D
I saw the video Kevin mentioned, I'll have to check out what that tool set costs for the 95 (606 engine). The tool from Extract Engineering that vibrates the gp sounds like it would do the trick but probably expensive. Since the oil filter will have to come off for #6 I may just put everything back together (since the plugs are working) and deal with it when one does goes bad. Maryland is in the US (near Washington DC). If I get the guts to drill in the head I may try http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/BrokenGlowPlug Maybe a diesel purge to remove some of the carbon would help?

s_sprry

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
If you leave those glow plugs in you could finish up with replacing glow plug relay they are not cheap, hope this helps.

exeng

Reaction score
Dont think the caddy van will make it to america but i believe taking oil filter housing off is a bit of a job but some techs would know better

simon_wall69

Reaction score
My old e300d used to start with only one glow plug working, but it used to take about 30 seconds before it was firing on all cylinders. It doesn't get that cold over here, only about -5. I'm not sure how good this was for the engine though...

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Dont think the caddy van will make it to america but i believe taking oil filter housing off is a bit of a job but some techs would know better
Hi Steve
I read up on that Vibropac M40, sounds like extraction is a totally new ball game with one of those tools. dug this video up

http://www.hubitools.com/products/video/282_fr.wmv

Kevin

PS might need to re think advice regarding extraction

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thats some piece of kit that vibropac m40! great if the plugs are tight. not much good if you have already broken one though!

exeng

Reaction score
Hi Kevin it a good job it works after what i paid for it problem is it only works on intact plug that have not been stressed by over torque used in normal methods of extraction

OP
S

s_sprry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
85 300d, 95 E300D
what does that tool go for? it looks like it would work for any diesel. there has to be shop around here with one of those - maybe.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
judging by what Steve has said (good job it works after what i paid for it) id guess theyre a good few quid! they may be cheaper in America, but it may be that unless you do lots of seized glow plugs theyre not worth the outlay! however if theyre very cheap over there, i imagine a few members would be interested, myself included!

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
what does that tool go for? it looks like it would work for any diesel. there has to be shop around here with one of those - maybe.
Hi I did find a price, not much change out of £1500.00

Kevin

exeng

Reaction score
As i said ss its to late for you as it only works on intack plugs that no body has tried to remove with normal equipment once the threads pick up its to late my customers use a torque wrench and if it does not move they call me in

OP
S

s_sprry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
85 300d, 95 E300D
Put car back together and it runs

I decided to put the car back together skipping the glow plugs and will deal with them when they do fail. The glow plug light does not work however the car starts right up, I think it's a bad relay. Hopefully I'll find a shop that has the tools / expertise in dealing with stuck glow plugs. I'm going to write up a wiring harness replacement article complete with pictures. Thanks for all the help.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom