Going from a W124 to...

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Yeah so it’s essentially a station wagon 4x4 crossover. They’re a bit out of my price range Tbh and I’m a traditionalist with car configurations (hatchback small, saloon medium, estate big, 4x4 for the farm and convertible for the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Yeah so it’s essentially a station wagon 4x4 crossover. They’re a bit out of my price range Tbh and I’m a traditionalist with car configurations (hatchback small, saloon medium, estate big, 4x4 for the farm and convertible for the weekend.

Yup but it does everything and has 7 proper seats whereas a W211 has 2 rear facing ones and no boot when they are up

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I don’t think handling wise anything compares to a Honda S2000. Possibly the best handling sports car I’ve ever driven.
Now isn't that strange.... I consider them one of the most evil handling cars I've ever had the misfortune to drive!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Interesting vendor on that one- showing it ‘honestly’ i.e. haven’t tarted up the missing paint

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Now isn't that strange.... I consider them one of the most evil handling cars I've ever had the misfortune to drive!
Never driven one of these, but I had the later/latest Prelude V-Tech 2.2 Motegi with 4ws, that was quite a machine

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500

Seriously?

I loved it. Perfectly dialled in, awesome engine with hooligan exhaust note, and stable enough to do the strines pass in a silly amount of time!

My mate put his in a hedge after pulling out to overtake a car on a straight road lol. Not massively ruined, but definitely hurt his pride. He sold it after getting water in the engine a few years later

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Yup but it does everything and has 7 proper seats whereas a W211 has 2 rear facing ones and no boot when they are up

Do you have to remove the seats and store them somewhere if you want a boot?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Seriously?

I loved it. Perfectly dialled in, awesome engine with hooligan exhaust note, and stable enough to do the strines pass in a silly amount of time!

My mate put his in a hedge after pulling out to overtake a car on a straight road lol. Not massively ruined, but definitely hurt his pride. He sold it after getting water in the engine a few years later

Great engine but the backend (cars not mne) was was too wayward for my tastes. On the limit the back end twitches and feels very unstable (mine as well as the car when it does it!). It was fine upto about 90% of the limit but that last 10% was terrifying.
An Elise/Exige/VX220 is so much nicer to drive at the limit (even a Smart Roadster is more stable albeit its at lower speeds)

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Great engine but the backend (cars not mne) was was too wayward for my tastes. On the limit the back end twitches and feels very unstable (mine as well as the car when it does it!). It was fine upto about 90% of the limit but that last 10% was terrifying.
An Elise/Exige/VX220 is so much nicer to drive at the limit (even a Smart Roadster is more stable albeit its at lower speeds)

Haha! Well my first car was an E30, with cheap tyres, so anything after that was docile and predictable by comparison. Real world road driving wise that 10% is hardly approached even on a spirited drive through the peaks.

Digital dash too! Love that.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Haha! Well my first car was an E30, with cheap tyres, so anything after that was docile and predictable by comparison. Real world road driving wise that 10% is hardly approached even on a spirited drive through the peaks.

Digital dash too! Love that.

Fair comment. I did once explore the limits in an S3 on a very spirited drive through the peaks in the early hours of the morning....
It was a very quick trip from Glossop to Sheffield!

Ah the younger more stupid days....

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Fair comment. I did once explore the limits in an S3 on a very spirited drive through the peaks in the early hours of the morning....
It was a very quick trip from Glossop to Sheffield!

Ah the younger more stupid days....

Can't do that any more with so many speed cameras and average speed checks and police helicopters. You'd think the police would actually try and catch real criminals rather than harass us priced off the roads motorists. But the Snake Pass is still fun on a motorbike even with the speed limits in place.

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Tbh there are too many idiots on the road, so I can’t say I’m surprised there are cameras everywhere. Woodhead and strines are the closest to being unspoilt but they’ve got the Nurburgring factor - read:dangerous.

Anyway does anyone have any additional advice on what to look for while I’m searching for a enthusiastically priced 7 seat w211?

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Interesting vendor on that one- showing it ‘honestly’ i.e. haven’t tarted up the missing paint

Have I missed a comment here?

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
JBELL posted a link to Autotrader on an R Class- it had paint missing from the bumper!

Ah, the perils of Tapatalk I think. Either that or I’ve just missed it.

There are a few w211s I’m interested in on fleabay, might have a look at volvos too. See what there is. The R classes are just not me. Maybe in a couple of years when I need full time 7 seats. Until then...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ah, the perils of Tapatalk I think. Either that or I’ve just missed it.

There are a few w211s I’m interested in on fleabay, might have a look at volvos too. See what there is. The R classes are just not me. Maybe in a couple of years when I need full time 7 seats. Until then...

Chuck any links on here then and we’ll generally criticise /dissect and put you off them however we can ;)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I can criticise that one right away..........the listing ended!

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom