1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good-bye to my R129

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by gramey, Jan 9, 2018.

1. gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    Well after much humming and haring I said good-bye to my SL320 today and replaced it with an Audi S4 cabriolet. It's nowhere near as pretty, the ride is harsh and it doesn't waft you down the road like an R129 does. But step on the loud pedal and stir the manual gearbox and it moves at a fair rate of knots and grips the road like a fat kid holds a bag of sweets.
    Hindsight may well prove this to have been a rash decision but only time will tell? :)

2. V6Matty

V6Matty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Peugeot 508 RXH (His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)
    Congratulations on the new car, we won't judge you too much for the choice ;):p

What I'd you do with the 129?

gramey likes this.
  3. flowrider99

flowrider99 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 (R230)
    I can't believe you sold the SL. I have also recently bought an Audi, an S5 Sportback, but i still have my SL500.

sl500amgsport and gramey like this.
  4. OP
    gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    I traded it in, he offered me a price that whilst it could have been easy to refuse was much better than several other dealers regardless of the price the cars they were selling.

V6Matty likes this.
  5. OP
    gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    Sadly my financial circumstances don't permit me to have two cars, to be honest I regretted it on the way home in so much as in the SL old as it was it still felt special. The S4 feels just like my old VW Passat, hardly surprising consider the number of parts they share, but for the type of roads I drive on it's better suited to my needs.

6. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I'm disappointed you sold it. I'm sure you'll end up regretting it in a few years to...
    The S4 is incredibly capable - the Quattro system is really very good but I always feel Audis are a bit numb - a bit like a screwdriver... Does the job admirably but not all that much fun to use.

See you back in an MB soon ;)

gramey likes this.
  7. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 E63 ///AMG V8 Biturbo Volvo XC90 2018
    Hope you enjoy the S4 for time to come, but we’ll get you back
    my sentiments entirely in both statements...wish I’d had the room to have kept my SL too, even if it was a troublesome heap!

gramey likes this.
  8. 00slk

00slk Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL55 AMG, 2003 SL500
    I did my time at Audi/VW, best of the best was the 200 Turbo, though the short wheel base 4WD Quottro was in a league of its own, don't become a typical Audi/Golf driver will you. :eek:

gramey likes this.
  9. daibevan

daibevan Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006
    Hope you enjoy the new car:)
    I'd have bought the SL off you, but I too can only run one car.:)

gramey likes this.
  10. OP
    gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    Sadly you can't find a decent 100 CD for sale these days let alone a 200, which is a surprise considering they were one of the original galvanised body cars and the engines seemed pretty indestructible. As for becoming a typical Audi/Golf driver no idea what that is but I certainly enjoyed myself on the country roads to my fathers this afternoon despite the wet roads. :)

11. Sasha94

Sasha94 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2003 CLK55 AMG
    I had an A4 3.0 V6 before my CLK55 and I can understand the attraction, the S4 is a nice car but incomparable to an SL, one being a hard riding V8 4 seat, 4 wheel drive mean machine, the other a silky smooth V6 2 seater boulevard cruiser that was many more £££ new. Had I not previously had an A4, I’d have looked more seriously at an S4 when buying my CLK, but I discounted one on the basis of effectively buying the same car twice and I didn’t want to do that. I think the manual box helps them too, the auto makes you wish you’d gotten another Merc!

Also, much pics of the new steed are needed!!! :)

gramey likes this.
  12. 00slk

00slk Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL55 AMG, 2003 SL500
    The 100 was a nice car, the 200 was even nicer. These were all new and some up to 2years old when I was there, be interesting to see how the have stood the test of time, though as you say very few on the ground nowadays, they all had a 5 year rust warranty on the bodies, maybe they met another fate :(
    Most overly spirited drivers and no option indicators for our beloved VAG personal ;)

13. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I had the successor to the 200 - the early A8 4.2 V8 with full aluminium body - surprisingly hardly any of these around from that era either.

gramey likes this.
  14. flowrider99

flowrider99 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 (R230)
    My S5 has the s-tronic auto which i find to be silky smooth, more so than on my previous ML350 which had a nice gearbox too. The S5 is the 3.0l V6 version and is very different to drive compared to my SL500. The S5 is definately a potent motor compared to the lazy V8 in the SL but being so different to drive i love them both.

15. OP
    gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    Well I woke up this morning with a tinge of regret but that disappeared as soon as I took a drive through the B roads of Suffolk into Norfolk to visit my father today. For the first time in 18 months despite the wet weather I enjoyed driving rather than just going from A to B. The SL was lovely but it lulled you into that lazy waft along Sunday morning drivers style whereas the S4 with a manual gearbox wants to be driven. It's not a particularly pretty car like an SL but if you like your driving old school with three pedals and a glorious soundtrack the S4 fits the bill. :)

flowrider99 likes this.
  16. s5tuart

s5tuart Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R129 SL500..sadly gone!
    Glad you're happy with your choice. I thought I was going to have to sell my beautiful SL last year, just because of practicalities, but so far I've managed to avoid selling it and still enjoy it every time I drive it. :D

sl500amgsport and gramey like this.
  17. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
    I like the S4 in Cabriolet guise, it is a good looking car, quick, lovely engine and 4x4 makes it very sure footed

gramey likes this.
  18. OP
    gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    I shall post some pics when the weather improves although to be honest it looks just like any other boring A4 cabrio, it's certainly nowhere near as pretty as my SL was. I actually drove an A4 3.0 Quattro cabriolet with a manual gearbox before I bought my SL and it was quite good fun to drive but a couple of things condition wise put me off.
    As you say the SL was a lovely boulevard cruiser but I rarely drive on dual carriageways or motorways so it never really felt comfortable pushing along on A & B roads. The S4 on the other hand eats them up and spits them out with a lovely growl emitting from the back as it does so. :)

Sasha94 likes this.
  19. OP
    gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    Even though VAG clutches aren't amongst the best I really enjoying being back in a manual car, proper old school three pedals, double de-clutching on change downs on the approach and firing it round a bend, love it! :)

20. OP
    gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    So if I wait for the weather to improve I'll be waiting a long time so here it is, I still miss the gorgeous looks of the SL and I'm sure give it a while longer the prices will go up as they've been forecasting for the past few years. But for now I have to accept the S4 is comparatively aesthetically challenged but enjoy the drive. :) Audi S4.jpg