Goodyear Eagle Assymetrics !!

Peewee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Estate
Well at least someone else has the same feel as me even though a different tyre...what motor are you?

I have a receipt for 4 wheel alignment done when i bought the car and have only done 4000 max. in 14months!!

Suspension is all A1 and the tyres are on the correct way around.

I am going to light them up a few times with the ESP off and scrub off the surface also drop a psi and see what happens.

Shame really as they are really quiet tyres.

Was the wheel alignment done with the old tyres on or new??

I would get it on a hunter alignment machine or similar, made bog difference to how mine drove

andys320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S211 280 CDi 2009, Porsche Boxster ,much missed Mercedes S320CDi 2003
Pair of these fitted to front of car today, too early to tell how they will perform, BUT they are so much quieter to the worn Kumho's I had!

Really further enhance refinement of the vehicle.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem.....I have had 4x Goodyear Assymetrics on for about a month now ...the fronts seem ok but the rears make the car skittish ......instead of the rear just rolling over the bump or cats eye in damp weather it will skid off it sideways or just drop off the bump and i do not like the feel of it???, this is driving in a straight line.

As you already picked up tyre pressures, but the one I'd like to know is load index? it makes a massive difference to the way a car behaves. Never go lower than std, you could try higher but expect worse ride comfort by 10 to 20% it may help steering feel (might be a mistake). Other one, would be run flats a complete disaster.

Between brands there will be differences. Bit surprised with goodyear you are noticing issues, as they tend to be softer and more progressive in the way they move about then almost anything else.

Unless the old tyres were particularly capable, are you sure you not just driving 15% harder because the car is so much better? If the old ones were good I bet they didn't last long?

The other one will be weather any cold snap (especially if they salted the roads) brings the gunge to the surface and it gets slippery.

Another one similar to you here Keith.

Put mine on last month and the first time I took it out it was *interesting* to say the least.... so far I'm not over the moon with these tyres. Hopefully in another couple of months it will start to get a bit warmer and they may hopefully work a bit better, but at the moment I'll be taking it very easy.

Roll on Summer. :D

very good point, these will be more sport orientated and probably much more a "summer tyre" than most. As they say anything below 7C and tyres we get have no grip, buy a really sporty version and they'll probably not work safely below 15C

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
the A30 going to Exeter all concrete and just so noisy, but not on these as you say they are so quiet. :D:D

you're not wrong I did in in October, that road is stupidly noisy, I was in a hybrid Mitsubishi Outlander horrible thing, rock hard, gutless and with a range of about nothing I had to fill up twice to get Plymouth.

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
Jumping on the back of an old thread but I'm having a nightmare with these tyres on the back of my E350 CDI Coupe. I had Conti's all round but when the rear tyres needed replacing I took note of reviews and fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 255/30 R19 91Y XL's.

Soon as I left the fitter I noticed the difference. The back end doesn't so much slide when cornering but do "bunny hops" sideways and it feels dreadful. I light up the anti-skid light on the dash with great frequency and the car feels unstable, bordering unsafe to drive. I've played with tyre pressures - up and down, had the balancing re-checked, had the tyres taken off and re-fitted (spun 180 degrees around compared to rim) and had the 4 wheel alignment done. All to no avail.

I bought the tyres through MyTyres and no joy from them as yet. Anyone else having similar issues? Any collateral info may help my discussions with the supplier.

Thanks in advance.

Laurie

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Did you change all four?

What your describing sounds more like you get when you mix treads front and rear and they don't match well.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
What model of Conti did you have fitted? The Eagle F1 Assy 3 is a really, really sticky rubber compound so a front: rear frictional imbalance would cause bouncing issues at a guess.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 3's on the rear of the 130i with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on the front and it was ****ing lethal!!

The back end felt more like it had broken springs than mis matched tyres it was that bad.

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
What model of Conti did you have fitted? The Eagle F1 Assy 3 is a really, really sticky rubber compound so a front: rear frictional imbalance would cause bouncing issues at a guess.

Hi Craig - this is what I have on the front wheels - Continental SportContact 5P 235/35 ZR19 91Y XL

When I had these on the rear as well the car handled fine. Think I might have to bin the Goodyears - with only about 1000 miles on them - they are that bad.....

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
I had Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 3's on the rear of the 130i with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on the front and it was ****ing lethal!!

The back end felt more like it had broken springs than mis matched tyres it was that bad.

Agree with that assessment. I cannot believe just how bad these Goodyears are on this car. I am talking about cornering "with intent" rather than "driving miss Daisy" but the Conti's handled it just fine. I feel like I need danger money to drive the flaming car on this tyre combination....

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Craig - this is what I have on the front wheels - Continental SportContact 5P 235/35 ZR19 91Y XL

When I had these on the rear as well the car handled fine. Think I might have to bin the Goodyears - with only about 1000 miles on them - they are that bad.....

It is not the Goodyears, it is the mixed tyres, the Goodyears **** all over the Contis, but don't mix them.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Agree with that assessment. I cannot believe just how bad these Goodyears are on this car. I am talking about cornering "with intent" rather than "driving miss Daisy" but the Conti's handled it just fine. I feel like I need danger money to drive the flaming car on this tyre combination....

As soon as the Goodyears arrived for the fronts it handled wonderfully. They are still on there now.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've banged on about this for years. RWD cars do not like mixed tyres front and back, they can become a dangerous, twitchy mess.
Now, more often than not you are lucky and it is fine, but when it is wrong, it is really wrong as you have found out.

FWD can be the same, but not as extreme.

Thing is most people don't even notice as they never push the car, the first time they notice how bad is often in the wet or when braking hard and then just put it down to....well.....being wet or braking too hard. But put different tyres on front and back and really push the car and with mixed tyres front and rear you often see the traction light light up (it shouldn't unless really tested) or the car feeling skittish.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I'm really surprised to hear this!
Might be off the top of my list then when I come to change!

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What are you surprised to hear?

Would you seriously consider putting mis matched tyres front and rear on a 525bhp RWD car anyway?

These tyres are excellent, one of the best out there at any price. However, they are designed to be fitted on all corners, not mix and matched with something completely different.

Back in the days of 150nm of torque it was not an issue, now with 300nm, 400nm, 500nm or in your case 630nm having tyres that act differently between front and rear is bordering on negligent.

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
I have the Goodyear F1 Assymetric 275 30 R19 96y on the rear and 245 35 R19 93y on the front and the car handles like it's on rails.

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
What are you surprised to hear?

Would you seriously consider putting mis matched tyres front and rear on a 525bhp RWD car anyway?

These tyres are excellent, one of the best out there at any price. However, they are designed to be fitted on all corners, not mix and matched with something completely different.

Back in the days of 150nm of torque it was not an issue, now with 300nm, 400nm, 500nm or in your case 630nm having tyres that act differently between front and rear is bordering on negligent.

I hear what you're saying but I've mixed and matched front and rear tyre combinations on similar powered cars with no ill effects many times.

I've also read of this issue on various forums and the Goodyear seems the common thread. I would rather go down the path of replacing the 2 new Goodyears with Conti's than gamble by buying 2 new Goodyears for the front. Lastly, I'd never consider mixing different tyres on one axle obviously but it seems to me that the tyre manufacturers are totally responsible, and remiss, if they don't clarify any potential handling problems (and mine are severe and I believe borderline dangerous) caused by having different tyres on the front and back. If this is the case, then I struggle to believe that Tyre manufacturers are not aware.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Tyre manufacturers advocate the same tyres all round for that very reason.

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
Tyre manufacturers advocate the same tyres all round for that very reason.

Well if they do they sure don't push that when it comes to marketing for the obvious reasons - they'd lose sales. How often do we go to a tyre dealers and change out all 4 tyres at the same time?

My car is RWD, hence the rear ones wear out first. I've never been advised that I must replace the rear ones with the same manufacturer as the front ones.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Well if they do they sure don't push that when it comes to marketing for the obvious reasons - they'd lose sales. How often do we go to a tyre dealers and change out all 4 tyres at the same time?

My car is RWD, hence the rear ones wear out first. I've never been advised that I must replace the rear ones with the same manufacturer as the front ones.
I almost always replace all 4 at the same time. To even out the wear I swap front to rear at around half tread on the rears.

Top Bottom