Goodyear Eagle Assymetrics !!

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
I almost always replace all 4 at the same time. To even out the wear I swap front to rear at around half tread on the rears.

Fair enough - swapping around at half wear point isn't an option for me as front and rear are different sizes.

Guess I'm peed off at the manufacturers tbh. Unless it's mandatory to swap all 4 tyres at the same time - which it clearly isn't - then all tyres should be manufatured to be compatible OR there should be clear warnings about the potential handling issues of rear/front tyre mismatches. Rant over - time for my medication.....

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Load of different advice going on, so to clear it up:

1. The tyres with the most tread should always be put on the rear (provided you have the same size all round). This is for stability under braking particularly in the wet

2. You should never put directional front and Assy rear on, they clear water in completely different ways, the other way round is fine though.

3. You should not mix brands / tread depths across axles

4. Different brands on different axles are fine unless point 2 is relevant.

5. Swapping front to rear is not recommended but the other way round is fine, this is due to the way cars wear their tyres

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
5. Swapping front to rear is not recommended but the other way round is fine, this is due to the way cars wear their tyres

From the Continental website:
"To achieve uniform wear and to maximize tread life, your tyres should be regularly rotated. Follow the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation for the rotation pattern and interval. Unless otherwise specified by the vehicle manufacturer, Continental recommends to rotate the wheels axle-wise at regular intervals. For example when changing from summer tyres to winter tyres or at mileage intervals of between 5000 km and 10000 km, or sooner if uneven tread wear begins to appear. If tyres start to show uneven tread wear, ask the service person to check and/or correct any vehicle wheel misalignment or other mechanical problem."

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/technology/tyre-knowledge/tirelexicon-3-0/tirelexikon-3-4

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
Load of different advice going on, so to clear it up:

1. The tyres with the most tread should always be put on the rear (provided you have the same size all round). This is for stability under braking particularly in the wet

2. You should never put directional front and Assy rear on, they clear water in completely different ways, the other way round is fine though.

3. You should not mix brands / tread depths across axles

4. Different brands on different axles are fine unless point 2 is relevant.

Which is great but.... I comply with all of this and still have severe handling issues after fitting the GY F1's to the rear.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Fair enough - swapping around at half wear point isn't an option for me as front and rear are different sizes.

Guess I'm peed off at the manufacturers tbh. Unless it's mandatory to swap all 4 tyres at the same time - which it clearly isn't - then all tyres should be manufatured to be compatible OR there should be clear warnings about the potential handling issues of rear/front tyre mismatches. Rant over - time for my medication.....

What you're suggesting there is that all tyres should be 'as good as' the worst tyre from China.
Its just not practical as it would kill tyre development and advancement.
Fundamentally the issue is you have a high performance tyre on the rear and a lower performance tyre on the front. To get the best of the rear tyres they need to be matched to a high performance front tyre (which it would be if all four were replaced together).
To expect all tread patterns and compounds from all manufacturers (budget to premium) within a given tyre size to be equally compatible is just wishful thinking.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
I hear what you're saying but I've mixed and matched front and rear tyre combinations on similar powered cars with no ill effects many times.

I've also read of this issue on various forums and the Goodyear seems the common thread. I would rather go down the path of replacing the 2 new Goodyears with Conti's than gamble by buying 2 new Goodyears for the front. Lastly, I'd never consider mixing different tyres on one axle obviously but it seems to me that the tyre manufacturers are totally responsible, and remiss, if they don't clarify any potential handling problems (and mine are severe and I believe borderline dangerous) caused by having different tyres on the front and back. If this is the case, then I struggle to believe that Tyre manufacturers are not aware.

Contis are the only one of the premium brands I refuse to use, imho they are crap.
They are fine for the first 12 month or so but then go hard and brittle, often crack in between the treads.
At that point they simply don't grip well, get crashy and get too loud.

The G F1 Assy is a very similar design to some of the performance focused Michelin designs, again arguably the best there is, but, you can't mix them and expect them to work properly.

All tyre manufacturers say to keep the tyres matched.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well if they do they sure don't push that when it comes to marketing for the obvious reasons - they'd lose sales.

Continental website:
"In order to achieve optimal driving characteristics Continental recommends that the same tyres are fitted on all wheel positions of your vehicle. In other words tyres of the same brand, tread pattern, tyre size, load index and speed symbol should be fitted all round. "

Goodyears website:
"Replace all four at once
It’s a good idea to replace all four tyres at once. For optimum handling and control we recommend they are all the same type and size, unless otherwise specified by the vehicle manufacturer."

Dunlop website:

TIPS FOR BUYING REPLACEMENT TYRES
  • Replace all four at once: it’s a good idea to replace all four tyres at once. For optimum handling and control we recommend they are all the same type and size, unless otherwise specified by the vehicle manufacturer."

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
I think it is more the case the tyre sellers don't push it.

It normally takes for it to effect you in a drastic way to make people realise. I bet you don't mix and match again.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Under normal driving it will probably be fine. Its only when pushing it it will become apparent.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From the Continental website:
"To achieve uniform wear and to maximize tread life, your tyres should be regularly rotated. Follow the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation for the rotation pattern and interval. Unless otherwise specified by the vehicle manufacturer, Continental recommends to rotate the wheels axle-wise at regular intervals. For example when changing from summer tyres to winter tyres or at mileage intervals of between 5000 km and 10000 km, or sooner if uneven tread wear begins to appear. If tyres start to show uneven tread wear, ask the service person to check and/or correct any vehicle wheel misalignment or other mechanical problem."

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/technology/tyre-knowledge/tirelexicon-3-0/tirelexikon-3-4

Opposed to Michelin and Pirellis advice, front tyres wear differently to rears, front wear the edges where as rear should wear evenly.

In all honesty if you have the same size all round you should just replace in pairs and always put the new tyres on the rear

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Opposed to Michelin and Pirellis advice, front tyres wear differently to rears, front wear the edges where as rear should wear evenly.

In all honesty if you have the same size all round you should just replace in pairs and always put the new tyres on the rear
Dunlop and Goodyear say the same as Continental.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

I'm with you on this - a lot of us unfortunately have the staggered set up.
I am going to go same size all round when I buy my winters as it is an option - it will be interesting to compare albeit difficult given that the tyre characteristics are quite different

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wonder why they suggest replacing all 4 at once :rolleyes:
I meant with regard to rotation.

However... replacing all 4 at the same time does guarantee consistency of behaviour.

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
I'm not dumb - no, really I'm not. I totally understand that manufacturers will advise that you replace all 4 tyres at the same time - that's a given. It will obviously give you the best possible result and them the biggest profit. Win/win - well for them especially.

On this thread I'm seeing a new concept - and it's news to others as well, not just me - that you shouldn't mix "higher performance" tyres on one axle with "lower performance" tyres on the other axle. So where may I ask does one find the "tyre performance table" showing what tyres can, and can't be mixed. Without it this whole scenario is, frankly, a can of worms. Like I said earlier, I blame the manufacturers for the fact that I lumped out about £360 for 2 new GY F1's which have almost rendered my car un-driveable. That's un-defendable.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm with you on this - a lot of us unfortunately have the staggered set up.

With staggered you replace by axle as needed (nothing else you can do)

I am going to go same size all round when I buy my winters as it is an option - it will be interesting to compare albeit difficult given that the tyre characteristics are quite different

With the RS3 they work in the cold and it never gets that bad down here. Will be interesting to see how yours handles with winters on

lolboy147

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2018
I think it is more the case the tyre sellers don't push it.

It normally takes for it to effect you in a drastic way to make people realise. I bet you don't mix and match again.

You got that right !

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On this thread I'm seeing a new concept - and it's news to others as well, not just me - that you shouldn't mix "higher performance" tyres on one axle with "lower performance" tyres on the other axle. So where may I ask does one find the "tyre performance table" showing what tyres can, and can't be mixed. Without it this whole scenario is, frankly, a can of worms.

I don't subscribe to the different tyres on axles being bad unless the tread patterns are significantly different as I said earlier.

I blame the manufacturers for the fact that I lumped out about £360 for 2 new GY F1's which have almost rendered my car un-driveable. That's un-defendable.

You need to investigate more rather than just blaming tyres, the GY F1 is one of the best tyres out there, my father has them on his W204 and it handles considerably better than the Conti SC5 it had before.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom