Grunt noise when breaking or releasing break

ajayboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 220 SE 65 Plate
Hi

Just signed up for my first ( after been on a watcher for many years) Merc E Class 220 SE with 65 plate after test drive, has 7500 miles and registered in Jan 66, When I test drove it all was good except that when i put my foot on the break or moved the foot away it made a sort of grunt sound that passengers in the back seat could also hear and notice

I asked the sales person who said it was how these breaks are in Merc E class as they are hydraulic. I am not an expert in these things to went along with the car dealers explanation. We sat in another similar car and he pressed on the break and it did have that sort of sound

Family liked the car so we bought it also as the car has Merc warranty for 2 year we thought if there is any issue it will be covered.

Car gets delivered tomorrow but just wanted to check with experienced people here if the sound is normal due to hydraulic break and if not what options I have

Thanks in advance

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Wow, hydraulic brakes. Must be a new thing :rolleyes:

No, it's not normal.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Wow, hydraulic brakes. Must be a new thing :rolleyes:

No, it's not normal.

Haha.

I heard about these new fangled hydraulic brakes, they were released on the Model A Duesenberg I think.
That was 1918 and 99.9999% of cars have had them since.
The sales guy should go back to selling fax machines.

No, not normal, get them to sort it before you get the car delivered. Seriously!

If you take delivery and then it can't be sorted they will make all sorts of excuses. Rejecting a car is very hard, not accepting one that has not been sorted is much easier.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Are we talking about the normal brakes here, or about the application and release of the parking brake?

Umble

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
If the brakes are broken hydraulically...you have a problem.

It's just the pads releasing and dragging a bit...probably sort itself out when it gets used regularly.

OP
A

ajayboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 220 SE 65 Plate
Thanks Guys

I have taken on Agility Finance, the finance got approved on Saturday but it will go through tomorrow and I guess dealer will get money on Monday when they will release the car and and car will be delivered tomorrow afternoon

I guess as I have signed on the papers I have committed to buying ? As the car is under warranty , if there is a problem don't they have to sort it out. I went for buying from dealership as I thought I could trust them.

Gizzie / Submariiner - IF i take delivery and if there is a problem won't they sort it out as part of the warranty ? Or can I call back tomorrow and say I have taken another opinion and want to try it again and possibly take a mechanic with me to check before I take delivery ?

Umble its the normal brake

I spoke to the sales guy about my concern again and he said it the car is just serviced and under warranty so if there is any issue it can be sorted and I can just invoke the warranty and have it looked.

Slightly frustrated that i went to dealer for peace of mind and end up in this situation by trusting the sales person.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't stress yourself about it, just enjoy it.

If it has been sitting around a bit it might be that.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would however mention to them that you are hoping it is that. If it doesn't go after 7 days you expect them to sort it immediately, within 7 days.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a few niggles when I bought mine at around 5 years old and have to say, they were fantastic at sorting the problems out.

We went for a drive today and I turned the radio off, turned the heater fan off etc then I asked the missus if she could hear me pressing and releasing the brake. No noticeable sound at all.

When stationary and the brake is pressed quickly you get a whoosh sound, even that isn't a noise that would get passengers attention.

The salesmen are just that, salesmen and they will give some bull, they may even believe what they say.
They just need to get it checked by their technician and I'm sure they will sort it for you.

OP
A

ajayboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 220 SE 65 Plate
Thanks Gizze , I was also thinking along the same lines , let it get delivered and try for a couple of days

Other option is to call the sales person tomorrow and ask him to get the mechanics to look at it and give me a written statement that there are no problems with the brake and the technical reason for the sound

They have given me a multi point checklist which has stuff on brakes and road test with all ticks

also if they have serviced ( minor he said ) they would have picked up something if there was a issue

Still i guess a written statement on the condition from a technical person would not be a bad idea ?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
If you are at the dealership drive a similar car from their stock across their forecourt and see if that makes the same noise . If it doesn't they can't deny the issue . Good luck

OP
A

ajayboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 220 SE 65 Plate
I had a few niggles when I bought mine at around 5 years old and have to say, they were fantastic at sorting the problems out.

We went for a drive today and I turned the radio off, turned the heater fan off etc then I asked the missus if she could hear me pressing and releasing the brake. No noticeable sound at all.

When stationary and the brake is pressed quickly you get a whoosh sound, even that isn't a noise that would get passengers attention.

The salesmen are just that, salesmen and they will give some bull, they may even believe what they say.
They just need to get it checked by their technician and I'm sure they will sort it for you.
Thanks John

our posts crossed I was also thinking that it might be reasonable for me to ask him to get a statement from a technician before he delivers the car tomorrow

Also just reading their site they have said on their website that there is a 30 day exchange policy if i don't get along with the car under certain millage so might invoke that in case of an issue ?

OP
A

ajayboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 220 SE 65 Plate
If you are at the dealership drive a similar car from their stock across their forecourt and see if that makes the same noise . If it doesn't they can't deny the issue . Good luck
Thanks Wighty

He did get into another car same year and presses the brake while moving it in the forecourt , it was similar sound , I think i was so keen to have the car that i just said ok if it happens to this car then it happening to mine is ok , but as the initial euphoria has settle and the practical me is thinking that the sound seems odd especially as I drove my faithful 2002 zafira with 160k on it and the brakes are so smooth ! I also went to test my friends C class 65 plate E300 and his brakes felt normal and that sort of started making me think if I has taken decision in a hurry and emotion ! It is a drain to find the car that ticks all ur boxes

I am wondering if a number of these cars that seem to have become available at the same time are from same source and have similar condition giving the sound as they have not been used for a while ?

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Also just reading their site they have said on their website that there is a 30 day exchange policy if i don't get along with the car under certain millage so might invoke that in case of an issue ?

If there is an issue I have every confidence they can sort it out for you.

The 30 day exchange is good on paper but if you're anything like me it takes time to find the right car.
A 30 day exchange is likely to have you jumping in feet first and possibly regretting your choice.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I'm sure that some regular use for a few days should make the sound disappear it can't be the case that two similar cars have a brake problem .
Enjoy the car . I have also found that main dealers are pretty good at sorting problems for cars you have just bourght :p

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I also went to test my friends C class 65 plate E300 and his brakes felt normal

Ask the salesman if your friends car has these new fangled hydraulic brakes ;)
If so maybe his are faulty as they don't have the correct noise.
:p

OP
A

ajayboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 220 SE 65 Plate
Ask the salesman if your friends car has these new fangled hydraulic brakes ;)
If so maybe his are faulty as they don't have the correct noise.
:p
John lol

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Never buy with your heart. Buy with your head and walk away if it isn't right.

The only sound you should hear from normal brakes is the master cylinder pumping pressure if you brake hard.

OP
A

ajayboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 220 SE 65 Plate
Update

Had emailed the Sales agent in the morning to not delivery the car without checking with technician and give in writing that the car brakes are fine and the noise is part of the feature, and if it is not then to sort it out before sending it to me as I dont want to receive to put it through fix under warranty straight away

Had a message from him that the technician has said that the noise was due to water logged due to pressure washing as the car had been valeted just before I arrived - Is this something that can happen ?

He said he was in the car and there is no sound whats so ever so its ready to be sent to me

will update when I go home and try it out

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom