Have you become a snob?

nialler

Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of you have driven them over the years but I'm new to Mercedes, would have never thought or even considered one, always wanted an A8 4.2 but anyway, fell into it and abolutely loving it.

Do you find yourself looking at other cars and thinking "get a real car"? Even had the wife tonight (few beers watching the england game) flooring it and beating other cars off the lights, sad I know but hey we're allowed sometimes.

Opinions?

[edit] I had the few beers now not her

psmart

Reaction score
...started off with a 2CV then a Skoda Estelle....

.... and now Im riding high above all other mortal Mercedes drivers in a hairdressers ML..... dont consider myself a snob.... but thats my opinion, probably a shrink would disagree :rolleyes:

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
its only a car,
you only buy what you can afford and what your happy with

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
nialler said:
Do you find yourself looking at other cars and thinking "get a real car"?
No not even slightly, everybody has to start somewhere. There are lots of people out there for whom a car is mearly transport and has no value other than a means of getting from A to B. IMHO it is more how they drive than what they drive that is important.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
but if you drive a stylish car in a stylish way

does that make you more stylish? I've always liked nice tidy, classy motors, but haven't always been able to afford them. Now that I can ( relatively), I do, but I still keep some perspective. After all, you are just as dead off the edge of a cliff in a Merc as you are in a Saxo. Blobcat's point is worth reinforcing.
However, 100mph in a Merc feels like a walk compared to 70mph in an old school VW Beetle. It also takes about as much effort as a stroll in a Merc, whereas in a Beetle, it's all brain cells switched on and sniff out that cross-wind before it sniffs out you. I know what I'd rather drive, but that doesn't make me a snob, just safety-conscious. I'd have to say the same for some of the Peugeot 105s I drove, and a 405, and the Vectra, and the Mondeo. The Alfa 156 and the Citroen ZX Volcane and the BMWs and the Passat and the Bora and the Octavia are ok though, all feeling pretty sorted on the road at speed.
Just a thought.

OP
N

nialler

Reaction score
Don't get the wrong impression by my last post, and not necessarily sure I can afford the 320 either, but I do worship big cars, call me a petrol head my friends do, the snobbery thing came from I've got a #2 tight haircut, I wear t-shirts all the time I am generally unshaven and I was up outside my kids school the other day, there was a guy there who had a maybach waiting on his client I asked for a look/see to see the inside of the maybach and he screamed "Carjacker" and locked all the doors, personally I was taken aback, but then again I've had the 998cc corsa, 1.2 corsa (never drive an opel again), passat, 620 rover (loved that car) and got an opportunity to buy the 320. I still look at girls/guys driving their A8s and 500s and go mmmmmm very nice car. The get a real car was way outta line.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I drive a 1995 S500 (CL) Coupe, it pizzis me off when the wifes SLKrap's doors dont self close and the seat belts done come out to greet me.
Bizzare how many other MB owners look and stare at my Coupe though, I wonder if its pity or bitterness, probably pity.

Chap in the village drives a black CLS AMG, even he gives admiring glances at the coupe, I'd willingly sell all my major organs and the wife for his CLS.

jib

psmart

Reaction score
I'm driving a Fiat Seicento at the moment.....

...in Dusseldorf and its a great car for city work, zips in and out, parks anywhere, but you definitely feel and experience a superiority attititude from most other drivers, even people in Meganes think there superior, yee gads!!

Top Bottom