Headlamp range adjuster - How does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenH

Reaction score
Website
www.sublimatic.co.uk
Question 2 in my series of 376 questions about how my E-Class works... :)

The headlamp range adjuster on my W210 E200 is pneumatic, judging by the noise it makes when I adjust the setting. Can anyone tell me the mechanism by which the headlamps are adjusted? How does a pneumatic connection between the switch and the lamp assemblies provide a stepped adjustment?

(Pneumatic systems are either pressurised or not; there are only two states. A variable position setting means there must be some clever way of transmitting a variable signal down the vacuum tube to the lights.)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Ben

OP
B

BenH

Reaction score
Website
www.sublimatic.co.uk
Headlamp range adjuster

Thinking about it, there are two vacuum tubes leading away from the switch, so perhaps the system uses a cunning binary-type method of controlling the four steps in the adjustment:
0 0
0 -
- -
When a pipe is 'open' it adds a pull on the actuator by the lights, so if both pipes are 'open' then you get twice the pull and twice the movement. Hmmm.

Is this just barking? I expect so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom