Hello! Please help

Mitesh90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 bluefiency 2012 (‘62’)
Hi I am new here with very little technical knowledge on cars so please bear with me.

I have recently purchased a Mercedes c220 62 plate 83k on the clock.
Last week the engine management light came on which worried me as this is the first time I have seen that light as Iv never encountered any sort of problems on my previous car. I took it to the garage they connected it to a laptop which gave a “code” when I looked it up it said something about a DPF filter?
I read up on this and I do normally do short journeys but I was told if I took it on a long drive on gear 4 with the revs up to 2500-3000 the light should go off, so I did that but the light is still on the dashboard, I have had a look in the online manual for the car it doesn’t state anything about the DPF which is strange to me as it seems to be a big issue online.
I would appreciate it if anyone can help me get rid of this engine light!
I’m also aware the DPF light looks different but when I turn my car on all the lights flash up as normal but it doesn’t have the standard DPF light so the mechanic said sometimes the engine light comes on if there’s no DPF light is this true?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
One aspect of the engine management light (EML) is that, even when the fault that triggers it has been fixed, it can stay on - either until it has been cleared by using a suitable scanner (fault code reader), or by making several journeys before it no longer illuminates. This will depend on the type of fault.

Your car has an automatic dpf regeneration sequence built in to its computer program, and as you've found out, this preferably includes making longer journeys where the engine is working hard - clear motorway runs or cross country with hills for example.

The scanner used to diagnose faults accurately should also be a Mercedes dedicated unit. Many garages do not have this facility, and use a general-purpose generic scanner instead. The Star system is designed especially for Mercedes vehicles, and using a garage with this equipment is the only way to carry out an accurate diagnosis. There are a number of Indies around the country who not only have this gear but who know how to use it, so you do not have to visit a Mercedes dealer for this.

..... and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Mitesh90, welcome to the forum :)

OP
M

Mitesh90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for your response and warm welcome
How do I know when the car is doing an automatic regeneration?

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
There is no indication when a regen is in progress, my ML didn't successfully regenerate for 12months before a warning light came on for a sensor failure.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Automatic regen?
Fuel consumption rises during a regen (if you have instant consumption redout on your scrolling display, it may be just possible to guage this), and if you stop you might get a whiff of bad eggs.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
If you stop during the process , you may notice the resting engine revs are higher than normal during the regen process .

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Welcome!

Engine revs generally rise to 800rpm at standstill during a DPF regeneration, as you get used to the car you’ll start to notice when it’s taking place, other subtleties include engine exhaust note changing due to the extra fuel injected directly into the exhaust, excess heat generated under the car and accompanying hot smell very noticeable when you open the doors.

When I sense a regen in progress I usually drive a few more miles if I’m on a short journey.

There is very little information in the handbook regarding the DPF which is annoying but I can understand why, from the manufacturers point of view it is an automatic process and to be fair MBs seem to have less problems with the system than a lot of other manufacturers. A friend of mine has a newish Audi A3 and his EML seems to on most of the time due to DPF issues. My Benz engine soon gets up to temperature which is a very important factor in the regen process.

Hope this helps!

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
iF YOU HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT THE VEHICLE FROM A DEALER, THEN ASK HIM TO DIAGNOSE AND CORRECT THE PROBLEM AT NO COST TO YOU
You have a six month statutory warrany which means that he is responsible for any significant fault which was present,or deveolping at the time of purchase or occurs within six months of purchase.
Good luck.

OP
M

Mitesh90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
iF YOU HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT THE VEHICLE FROM A DEALER, THEN ASK HIM TO DIAGNOSE AND CORRECT THE PROBLEM AT NO COST TO YOU
You have a six month statutory warrany which means that he is responsible for any significant fault which was present,or deveolping at the time of purchase or occurs within six months of purchase.
Good luck.
Thank you for your reply
I have contacted the dealer he said there is no warranty on the car.. he said it’s a DPF issue which is normal on diesel cars and will correct itself or I can use something called forte to aid the regen.. would mercedes be able to do something about the DPF or is that something they don’t get involved in?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for your reply
I have contacted the dealer he said there is no warranty on the car.. he said it’s a DPF issue which is normal on diesel cars and will correct itself or I can use something called forte to aid the regen.. would mercedes be able to do something about the DPF or is that something they don’t get involved in?
How long ago did you buy it ??

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
9th September 2017 so just over a month ago
As above , there is always a warranty , unless you have agreed some form of unprotected trade sale . It sounds like the dealer is trying to get out of fixing the car . You should contact citizens advice .
There are some very knowledgeable people on this site who will hopefully tell you exactly what order to progress in

OP
M

Mitesh90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As above , there is always a warranty , unless you have agreed some form of unprotected trade sale . It sounds like the dealer is trying to get out of fixing the car . You should contact citizens advice .
There are some very knowledgeable people on this site who will hopefully tell you exactly what order to progress in
I think that’s what my next step will be..

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As a retail customer that cannot be done legally !! :)
Thanks , I have seen it on car programs , I didn't know it only applied to trade .

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom