Helmet Cameras.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I drove into and through Cambridge today, right to one of student accommodation centres (a friend, who looks after their WiFi of a few thousand users, is on holiday, and asked me to sort out some issues) ... there were, what seems like millions of cyclists, in various stages of undress - from normal clothes to spray-on stuff (and I'm pretty sure some without - unfortunately, not the ones I would care to look at), almost every one, who ran a red light, and there were many, had one of those cams. I dare not come up with any summation ...

o_O
I've seen hat too David, it's an eye opening sight to be sure, we were driving through mid summer so very warm and as you can imagine pretty much every one wearing nothing but their birthday suit and yes some body paint

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
View attachment 46426 Just leave this here....
Indeed... On my June trip to Scotland heading into Fort William from Inverness there were three cyclists riding down the road creating a 15 car tail back. Just 10 feet away there was a wide smooth cyclepath (which was clearly marked).

XJ600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 S204 220CDI Auto
Gave up wearing mine, makes a terrible mess of the Headlining.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Indeed... On my June trip to Scotland heading into Fort William from Inverness there were three cyclists riding down the road creating a 15 car tail back. Just 10 feet away there was a wide smooth cyclepath (which was clearly marked).

Yep (I'm generalising again) but cyclists do seem to be inconsiderate to other traffic and have a huge amount of arrogance about them. Can barely go anywhere without seeing a cyclist doing something stupid or selfish.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Used to put my diesel Landcruiser into highest gear and floor it as I passed - clouds of black smoke.

Childish I know, but my BP immediately went back to normal.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Used to put my diesel Landcruiser into highest gear and floor it as I passed - clouds of black smoke.

Childish I know, but my BP immediately went back to normal.
He he ! Love it!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The right to be on the road is often thrown into the conversation by the more outspoken lycra loonies but rights usually come with responsibilities,
why can't racing as with cars be confined to tracks or closed off roads.
Like many of us I have come across the three abreast road warriors taking up their "rightful place" on the road I liken it to a right to be run over.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The right to be on the road is often thrown into the conversation by the more outspoken lycra loonies but rights usually come with responsibilities,
why can't racing as with cars be confined to tracks or closed off roads.
Like many of us I have come across the three abreast road warriors taking up their "rightful place" on the road I liken it to a right to be run over.
I have a right to be on the road too (in my cars) but I don't have the right to drive like an absolute tosser....

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Half the problem with cyclists is that cycle lanes are not compulsory. So even if one is there they don’t legally have to use it.

I remember some bellend telling me that if they were going over 12mph they weren’t allowed to use a cycle lane. But could only provide hearsay evidence from a forum and not the Highway Code. I did also question why anyone would use the gutter of a normal road that is often littered with potholes and drainage grids over a designed cycle path. But I then got the ‘I have a right to use the road too’ argument.

Maybe they should have to pay road tax as well. Might keep more of them on cycle paths.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
It’s also not the case the camera caused his injuries. As far as I’ve ever seen it’s only a theory that it may have been a contributing factor. But nothing proven.

I think Schumacher’s injuries had more to do with him deliberately skiing off piste and hitting two rocks, one sending him tumbling and the other hitting his head on! Not that he had a helmet camera on.

Actually he was skiing in between two pistes on a small patch that is usually roped off, there are always tracks through it (It is where you ski either to Mottaret or Meribel).

How he crashed there is beyond me (I skied past it 3 weeks later and had a good look at it), freak accident but a report I read said the GoPro was mounted on his helmet and was a contributing factor to the head injury apparently splitting the helmet.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Actually he was skiing in between two pistes on a small patch that is usually roped off, there are always tracks through it (It is where you ski either to Mottaret or Meribel).

How he crashed there is beyond me (I skied past it 3 weeks later and had a good look at it), freak accident but a report I read said the GoPro was mounted on his helmet and was a contributing factor to the head injury apparently splitting the helmet.
I’m of an age where we didn’t use helmets when ski-ing except during races of course. No cameras, minimal stupidity ....except (and we’ve all done this) when we dipped under a roped off area occasionally as a short cut...there but for the grace of god eh?
Back on MS, I did read other things at the time questioning how it could have happened, I kind of wondered (speculated) if something went wrong with him to cause the crash? Guess that must have been explored though

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I kind of wondered (speculated) if something went wrong with him to cause the crash? Guess that must have been explored though

I think he was not looking and caught an edge (he was apparently filming his son) which toppled him over, either his helmet split on impact which was what was reported stating the camera mount went through it or the rock hit him where the helmet didn't cover

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Unless the Camera was mounted not using a proper mount, or the helmet had some sort of structural integrity issue. I fail to see how the camera or the mount would cause the helmet to split in two.

I have various helmet mounts for GoPro’s for different helmets I use for work. I can’t see how any of them would cause the helmet to split at a the reported moderate speed.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unless the Camera was mounted not using a proper mount, or the helmet had some sort of structural integrity issue. I fail to see how the camera or the mount would cause the helmet to split in two.

This is why there are so many reports that differ. The only way I see it could split the helmet is if there was massive direct load onto the mount.

I have various helmet mounts for GoPro’s for different helmets I use for work. I can’t see how any of them would cause the helmet to split at a the reported moderate speed.

There is no way anyone could ski through there at any speed

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
This is why there are so many reports that differ. The only way I see it could split the helmet is if there was massive direct load onto the mount.

Unless it was fitted incorrectly or by some muppet drilling screws through. They are either fitted by the manufacturer of the helmet. Or they are glued/3M pressure taped. None of which should cause a split.

I think the claim about the camera being the issue was dropped as I read GoPro threatened to sue. The person who made the claim then stated it was just his opinion that it may have contributed due to the reported condition of the helmet and not based on any fact.

I do wonder just how bad MS is now as we haven’t really had any meaningful updates on his condition for a while. To me this says he’s either in a bad way and won’t recover more than he is now. Or is in a bad way and had a very long road to recover a normal life.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do wonder just how bad MS is now as we haven’t really had any meaningful updates on his condition for a while. To me this says he’s either in a bad way and won’t recover more than he is now. Or is in a bad way and had a very long road to recover a normal life.

I think it has gone on too long for a full recovery, they moved him to Majorca and I doubt there will be updates as this has all been kept very quiet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63, 2012 March. 5.5BT
The Highway Code

64. You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129
66. You should..... never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
69. You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals. Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD reg 10(1)

But my pet point is that If a certain part of the road is being given over to cyclists, cycle lanes, then they should also be made to have liability/ accident insurance. Too maney time have seen them damage cars and not have to pay up.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I think it has gone on too long for a full recovery, they moved him to Majorca and I doubt there will be updates as this has all been kept very quiet
Yeah, he’s proper f***ed really isn’t he. Poor sod.

Top Bottom