Help and advice please

DebbieDallas

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me with my quest for a new car. I currently drive an Audi A6, and want to purchase a Mercedes convertible of any type. My Audi,s worth about £15.000 and i will be trading it in for my new car for the next financial year.

I have never had a convertible before so could anyone advise on the best Mercedes options. I have recently been divorced and feel its time i deserved a new sporty car. I do approx 45-50 thousand miles per year therefore would require a suitable vehicle.

Iam a little hesitant about buying a soft top because of the miles i do and reliability. Are there any known problems of anykind.

Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Debra

G MAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380 slc 1981
Hi Debbie,of all the many Mercs. I've had the pleasure to own over the years , the SL's are by far the most rewarding, classy,understated ,reliable, safe & headturning. There will be obvious drawbacks with the mileage you expect to do & I'm sure you will have considered depreciation as one of the major issues. I think the SLK might suit you best as the folding metal roof means no hard top to have to remove(2 people!) whenever we get one of those rare days/opportunities that make open top driving a real thrill. The retractable roof also gives all the benefits of a cabriolet without the security risk invoved with a soft-top. Depending on budget & company support, why not try a low mileage , couple of years old to see how it suits you before taking the plunge. I'm in Leeds & know that Mercedes Harrogate are highly recommended for customer service.I'm sure you will be able to arrange a test drive there with no hassle.
Also, Philip Welch on the A19 (Selby direction) always has a good selection , although very pricey, of pre-owned SL's so go & have a browse.
Good Luck with your search & get back to me if I can help out.

EddyB

Reaction score
Convertibles are great but...

At 60mph + they can get noisy and windy.
Around town in the hot weather watch and be careful not to get too much sun.
Try and get the elec roof if you can. It's a lot less hassle. However, make sure you have it checked thoroughly as they are expensive to fix.

My favourite time to have the roof down is on a dry, sunny winters day with the heater on full.

Good luck with your choosing.

Top Bottom