Help converting BACK to OEM Xenons(!)

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S-Class S55 AMG 2000 / W220 S-Class S55K AMG 2003 / W163 ML270 / Jaguar XJR X350
Hi all
According to my w220 S55 data card, it was supplied with Xenon headlights and somewhere in its murky past I think someone had an unrecorded bump on the front end, likely damaging the headlamp/s.
The current headlamps are Halogen aftermarket replicas from Taiwan it seems, and the adjustment screw is broken on one of them (and the headlights point too much at the ground, and cannot be adjusted correctly)
I was just searching for some replacement 2nd hand halogen headlight units when I found a set of Xenon headlight units. So the question is - how do I go about finding out how much or how little of the old Xenon set up is remaining (with a view to converting back) -

1 - how far would a Xenon set up need to be stripped back (wiring loom wise) for a previous owner to have converted to Halogen -
2 - What and where do I need to look for to see what remains of the old Xenon system?

3 - I have the codes B1480 B1481 showing which refer to headlight adjustment motors (disconnected or missing due to the downgrade) - Where would I check to see if they still were in place?

Pictures would be nice, and any reply welcomed - Happy also to remove things on the car to help check for the legacy parts.

Many thanks in advance
Gaz

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I would expect built into the lamp unit... all xenon's should "nod" when turned on

the suspension system should still have the level sensors which send info back to do self levelling .... there is no reason to remove and if airmatic I expect still required for that to work

Headlamp washers are also part of euro law (but manually operated still fits legislation)

if the wiring loom has NOT been vandalised and you get the ballasts with replacement lamp units (to fire up the xenon's) its a no brainer...

OP
lordgaz

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S-Class S55 AMG 2000 / W220 S-Class S55K AMG 2003 / W163 ML270 / Jaguar XJR X350
If you mean the seller with 6406 feedback, then I have bought them having spoken on the phone to the seller.. £70 for 2 and with ingniter and ballasts present it is claimed. I made it a condition of sale that this the case and they are working and a pair. So hopefully Just plug and play then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
lordgaz

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’m fairly optimistic, and there are some unconnected lighting connectors behind the lights currently. Fingers crossed eh.. I’ll let you know later next week :)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Fingers crossed for you! Now you need some Xenarc Nightbreakers to fit in them!

OP
lordgaz

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anything has to be better than current beam.. dip far too low and unadjustable.. like a couple of candles on the front, and pretty dangerous, even with the halogen nightbreakers. Thanks for the tip to spend more money .. will google the xenarcs now and no doubt add them to the Amazon wish list

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
If you mean the seller with 6406 feedback, then I have bought them having spoken on the phone to the seller.. £70 for 2 and with ingniter and ballasts present it is claimed. I made it a condition of sale that this the case and they are working and a pair. So hopefully Just plug and play then...

there's another post about headlights pointing at the floor. If the suspension self levelling sensors are detached / not working it doesn't send correct info the headlights either. and we all know the links like to fall off merc suspension

Hope it all goes well.... I'd plug it all in see where u r and then if its all good put in new dipped beam xenon bulbs
they get dimmer with age and are normally a nightmare to fit after the event

watch out for fake bulbs many are, all packaged like the originals.... even made watchdog the other day as the might set fire to the car

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
The Xenon have an electric operated adjuster (if same as my W210) which is not present on the halogens so is likely to be disconnected and hence the errors.

Everything should be there so it should be a matter of plug and play. The headlamp harness is the same on mine regardless of halogen or xenon so fingers crossed same for you.

If you put up your Reg or VIN, I (or another member) can check the part numbers that are usable for your car. this way you will get the correct headlamp units

OP
lordgaz

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Great reply. Thank you. Here’s the VIN
208c9bc060680572496971f031affe66.jpg

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom