Help - glove box won't unlock on 03 SL500

Reaction score
Recently swapped 97 SL320 for an 03 SL500 (not really sure what I have gained other than a more modern look, sportier ride and a tin top) and I am having a problem with the golve box which will not unlock. The hidden key in the key fob seems to work OK in that it locks and unlocks the other interior lockable storage areas OK but the glove box simple will not release when they are unlocked. Could really do with getting into it and hoping someone out there knows of a simple cure!

type49

Reaction score
Simple-ish depending on what has failed. There is an adjustment for the cable release but the adjustment is inside the glovebox! Not very clever. You can get to the cable however & give it a pull & it "may" release, like I said, depending on what is wrong in the first place.
Put the NSF seat back & down as far as poss.
The long cover on the side of the centre console can then be removed.
Start at the rear, lower corner, about level with the roof switch.
Pull the cover towards you & it will release.
Move along towards the front, releasing the clips.
The front of the trim is slotted into the dash & so, once the clips are released, pull the trim towards the rear of the car. The trim should then come out & reveal a gap between the glovebox & the heater panel. Fiddle around & find the cable & give it a pull.
Make sure you have hold of the cable & not the vacuum pipes for the central locking. Let me know if this frees the lid open & I will guide you through adjustment. Good luck.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Simple-ish depending on what has failed. There is an adjustment for the cable release but the adjustment is inside the glovebox! Not very clever. You can get to the cable however & give it a pull & it "may" release, like I said, depending on what is wrong in the first place.
Put the NSF seat back & down as far as poss.
The long cover on the side of the centre console can then be removed.
Start at the rear, lower corner, about level with the roof switch.
Pull the cover towards you & it will release.
Move along towards the front, releasing the clips.
The front of the trim is slotted into the dash & so, once the clips are released, pull the trim towards the rear of the car. The trim should then come out & reveal a gap between the glovebox & the heater panel. Fiddle around & find the cable & give it a pull.
Make sure you have hold of the cable & not the vacuum pipes for the central locking. Let me know if this frees the lid open & I will guide you through adjustment. Good luck.

You are an angel in disguise and I could kiss you (I wont) Non to clear in my book.. I can do a couple of little mods now:D :D

OP
G
Reaction score
Glovebox now open - how do I adjust it?

Thanks for the directions - not too fiddly at all and took 2 minutes. I would very much appreciate knowing how I go about adjusting the mechanism so that it operates as it should.

Graham

type49

Reaction score
Leave the glove box open - do not shut. Push the catch across with a small screwdriver untill it "locks". Press the unlock button. (I presume it won't release the catch at this stage). At the back of the glovebox is a knurled wheel in a cut-out. Give it about 5 turns to the right & see if the catch will release, if not, go another 5. If still nothing, go back 10 to where it was & then 5 the other way & so on. If nothing at all happens then I'm affraid you may have a broken mechanism but it's worth a go.

OP
G
Reaction score
Now working

Thanks for your assistance - I don't know if it was my prodding, pushing and moving the release cable or what, but it is now operational again and I didn't have to go as far as finding the adjustment wheel. No doubt it will go wrong again but at least I know what to do now.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom