Help me Please? Jammed Rear Seat Belt - Merc Estate C Class Elegance

ELE35

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class Elegance
Hi

Wondered if anyone could offer any help with my Jammed Rear middle Seat Belt? She is due for an MOT on Friday we took a look at it today but we can't see how to get into it? It feels as it has twisted inside and so has lots of excess belt hanging but won't feed back in?

Are we being totally thick? We just can't see how you can get into fix it?

I would appreciate any advice?

Ele ;)

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
The centre rear seat belt is a lap belt only so doesn’t reel in and out like its neighbouring belts.
It is also fully adjustable at one end.
There is a clip at each corner of the lower part of the seat bench, when both clips are depressed, the bench part of the seat can be lifted up and removed from the car, you will then see how the centre belt is set up.

Dec

Edit; just seen that you have an estate, I was thinking saloon, I’m now not quite sure if the above is applicable to your car.

OP
E

ELE35

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class Elegance
Hi Dec

Thanks for the reply however it is an estate with a full blown belt not a lap belt?

Am hoping someone else my post and help we are at our wits end with it. Our lights fading and the seat is in bits!

Urrghh

Ele

Top Cat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(97) W202 C230 Elegance Estate
Hi Dec

Thanks for the reply however it is an estate with a full blown belt not a lap belt?

Am hoping someone else my post and help we are at our wits end with it. Our lights fading and the seat is in bits!

Urrghh

Ele

Correct, on the estate it reels out from within the backrest at the left shoulder position when sat in the centre seat. I just looked at mine here and it looks like you would need to remove the boot roller blind from the seatback first of all, does that expose any screws that would allow the plastic cover to be removed from the top of the seat?

OP
E

ELE35

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class Elegance
Thanks!

Hi

Thanks for posting. No we have taken the roller blind out and there are absolutely no screws to be found?

I have searched this forum for answers and also searched the net with not much luck?

Any ideas as to where I would look next?

Ele

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
The following is a potential workaround for the MOT, not a safe cure for a duff seatbelt which should be replaced immediately.

Put a baby/ small childseat in. The inspector should then make a note on the test docs that the belt could not be tested because the child seats were fitted.

Attached is the diagram. Looks like one bolt holding the reel (accessed from the rear of the seat (???) and the plastic trim on the top of the seat.

Attachments

• seatbelt.jpg
    seatbelt.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 313

Top Cat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(97) W202 C230 Elegance Estate
Looks like one bolt holding the reel (accessed from the rear of the seat (???) and the plastic trim on the top of the seat.

Perhaps the carpet needs to be peeled back from the seatback to expose the screws and bolts?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The following is a potential workaround for the MOT, not a safe cure for a duff seatbelt which should be replaced immediately.

Put a baby/ small childseat in. The inspector should then make a note on the test docs that the belt could not be tested because the child seats were fitted.

Attached is the diagram. Looks like one bolt holding the reel (accessed from the rear of the seat (???) and the plastic trim on the top of the seat.

I was going to suggest this as well.. I had to do it recently with a clio we have with a faulty rear belt, had one sourced but the guy sold it before I got there... It will be replaced shortly..
Suggest you have a word with one of the local merc breakers and pick up a good working s/h unit

Kyliewww

Reaction score
Website
www.dead-ringer.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Astra 'H' CDTi; '89 MK2 Orion 'Ghia'
Are the seats in positions correctly? The rear belts won't move correctly if the seats are not locked into position; Just a thought...

OP
E

ELE35

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class Elegance
Ok it's done!

Today my brother-in-law came and saved the day!

He removed the carpet from the back of the seat.

Released the bolt on the back of the seat.

Put the seat in an upright position. Took down the centre arm rest. Removed the pins and took out the plastic cover.

He put his hand in scratching it to death and started to rolled up the seatbelt it suddenly unjammed itself! Phew!

Thanks to all!

Mike Thomas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class estate 2012 2200cc
I have a similar issue where the centre belt is jammed with the seat folded down. For the seat to be raised the belt needs to pull out a little. So I can't raise it into its upright position where I guess it may totally release. It would appear I need to remove the whole rear seat assembly. I've undoneb2 bolts at each side but the ones in the centre look impossible to remove, and worse to replace. If I could undo the belt anchor this could well crack the problem, but gaining access? Need to remove the squab, but how? Help!!

Mike Thomas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class estate 2012 2200cc
The rear seat squab can be removed by pulling it up, then pushing it backwards. Once removed the seatbelt anchor can be unbolted from the floor to release tension on the belt which can then be unrolled and reassembled.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom