Help needed with electrical problems - dodgy earth? but wher

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

Reaction score
My 1989 207d van (I know its not a car but it is a Merc) has developed an electrical fault and I don't know where to start. I can't really afford to get an auto electrician to fix it so I will have a go myself. I'm reasonably competent with mechanics but electrics are a bit beyond me at the moment.

It is an intermittent fault where anything electircal (lights, wipers, indicators etc.) sometimes work OK and sometimes doesn't. Sometimes when I put the indicators on the temp and fuel gauges flicker in time with them. The headlights also cause the gauges to go beserk. Occasionally there is a short buzzing from the fuse box area. Also, the ignition will not switch off - you have to stall to stop the engine.

Obviously I am not using the van at the moment and I need to get it sorted as soon as possible so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I believe that the previous owner had a new alternator put on. Could the faulty be a dodgy earth somewhere?

andyk

Reaction score
Website
www.supanet.com
Help needed with electrical problems

hi Dave
         just a stab in the dark but have a look at the earth strap from the engine to the chassis as it is possable it may be working loose
Andyk

David Halsey

Reaction score

you may want to check the ignition switch/steering lock. If my memory serves me correct;y (thats a disclaimer btw) the engine is switched off from a vacumm switch on the steering lock, also most electrics are activated by the same unit.

OP
D

DaveH

Reaction score

Thanks for your replies. I will check the main earth strap and also the ignition switch. I have spoken to the local Main Dealer who said that it is probably a loose earth connection causing the electridal problems, and that the engine stop problem is probably due to the vacuum unit or valve.

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com

Hi Dave

Let me give you a bit of free advice. All that has been said before is correct. But if it is not anything simple. Get it to a good auto electrician. The buzzing from the fuse box, makes me a little anxious. With out seeming like doom and gloom. There are plenty of incidents where vehicles are seen burnt out on the side of the motorway, due to electrical fires.
Electrics is not every ones forte, but it can be dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced.

Good luck

Andy@www.mercedesservicing.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom