HELP!!! no fire to cylinder #3 and #6

Mr.Meabon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190e 1991 6cyl
HELP!!!!!!!!! my 91 190e 3.0 is having a problem, i cant figure out cylinders 3# and #6 isnt firing... But all the rest are i just put a new distributer cap plugdsand wires on it will run but it sputters, cant be fuel related right? PLZZ & thanks all inputs greatly app.:-(

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
Have you checked to see if you are getting a spark from the number 3 and 6 leads? Have you put the leads on in the correct order?

OP
M

Mr.Meabon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190e 1991 6cyl
when i take them out has no effect running wise if i pull any of the other four a drastic change and almost dies we tryd a volt tester an it seems to be getting a faint spark

Robbostanhill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Estate 2003 and *Her* C220 W203
Tray posting in the correct forum and see if you get a better response. Also better not to use text speak

CRH71

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD
Three possibilities spring to mind:

1. The leads are on incorrectly for those two cylinders (compare the lead layout on the distributor cap to the firing order of the engine).

2. The rotor arm is worn or the 'new' distributor cap is faulty, with too large an air gap for cylinders 3 and 6, causing the weak spark.

3. The distributor shaft/bearings are worn, causing the distance between the rotor arm and distributor cap segment to enlarge at certain points of engine rotation - again, leading to a weak spark.

Also remotely possible (seen it done on an old Vauxhall Senator engine) the distributor cap has been fitted incorrectly (this one was 180 degrees out and it caused a misfire on two cylinders).

HTH

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Firing in the M103 engine is 136245 . The plug leads are sometimes very difficult to remove--- the connectors have built in resistors where they connect to the plugs these can break and cause misfiring.
Best thing would be to get the car on an old fashioned oscilloscope engine analyser. An examination of the firing lines will tell you all you want to know.
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/11832/Resources/201Create/PDF/50010.pdf

OP
M

Mr.Meabon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190e 1991 6cyl
well thing is that it ran like this with the old plugs wires and caps so when i replaced no deference when i put the new ones on and i looked up the firing order its all correct so im baffled ill post a video in a second so u guys can see and hear what i do

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Sorry that firing order should read 153624. Have you checked your spark plugs to see waht sort of deposits are on them. You could have leaking valve stem seals oiling up the plugs or perhaps the injectors on cylinders 3 and 6 are a bit chokedup you could try some injector cleaner in the fuel to se if that helps?

OP
M

Mr.Meabon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190e 1991 6cyl
did u watch the youtube video i made and posted amd mo fuel issues just spark but only to cylinder #3 and #6 the other four spark strong as you will see in video

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
The obvious obvious thing you did not try in the video (I did watch it) is putting a spark plug in the cap and holding it against the rocker cover.
Beyond that - what about spark plug condition/deposits? As has been said, often failing valve seals have the plugs getting oiled very quickly on these engines...
Otherwise it is back to the rotor arm, cap, leads and plug caps - if there is no spark.

You are far keener than me at pulling off those plug caps with the engine running BTW!

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
You are far keener than me at pulling off those plug caps with the engine running BTW!

And me, a bit of damp or insulation breakdown and there's a completely different video.

Obvious thing as you said is to have a plug out and against an earth but I wouldn't like to recommend it to the guy in the video.
Not being funny at all but a bit of safety goes a long way.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, 2 cylinders are not firing, could be no fuel to those cylinders but far more likely to be a spark problem.

Does your car have a single coil? If so, ignore the next sentence.
Some cars have multiple coils, if your has 3 coils and one of them is faulty you will lose the spark to 2 plugs.

Take the spark plugs out to check for condition and tell tales.

With engine off, check HT leads for a firm fit at each end and ensure the leads are in good condition, check for corrosion in the distributor cap, both inside the cap and in the holes where the leads connect.

Check the correct leads from the distributor go to correct plugs.

Replace plugs and replace leads/distributor cap as necessary. Also check the rotor arm has no corrosion/verdigree.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
P.S. I was going to mention HT leads could be tracking to earth, losing the spark at the plug but best to just replace leads as your video is a bit scary.
HT shocks are no fun at all.

OP
M

Mr.Meabon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190e 1991 6cyl
L John i had this problem found out 2 cylinders don't get fire or enough i bought new plug wires still same problem i got new plugs same problem i got new cap same problem its a single coil car the only thing i can think of is the ezl or the rotor roller but still doesn't rule out y rotor roller would miss two of the same cylinders that's y im leaning toward the ezl but my roller ha some decent wear so i may replace anyway since i have a new cap

OP
M

Mr.Meabon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190e 1991 6cyl
if i can ill take cap back off make a video u can see the roller see the order of my plug wires i have my old plugs and wires ill try to get in pic to show the wear and i just wish i would of known the order i took them from but the last cylinder the plug had alot of oil on it and bad smell it was a dead plug so atleast one problem solved so far lol but you'll see it in the video if i can get it

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
You already have good advice here, please take it.

Forget the EZL, if you have a HT problem it can only be after the coil!!

And what about checking for spark with plug installed? Did you?

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
I was cringing watching you pull those plug leads on and off. !!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom