Help to diagnose bizarre electrical faults

Steve365

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi W204 Estate / 2008 / 220 Diesel
Hi.
I'm a new forum member and would really appreciate any help with an odd collection of intermittent electrical failures on my car.
The car is a Feb 2008 W204 estate, C220 Diesel.
This winter it has suddenly developed a fault on cold mornings, especially after being unused for a few days.
It starts ok, and all the electrics work at first, but after about one minute the list of electrical systems below fails:

Right and Left rear turn signals
COMAND system
Power tailgate opening and closing
Heated rear window
Rear wiper, but not the rear washer
Rear seat belt sensors
Fuel gauge

All of these things continue not to work until the car has been run for a while and the engine warmed up, then the ignition needs to be switched off for a few minutes. When re-started everything works ok. If I only switch the engine off for 30 seconds or so and re-start, it does not fix the problem.

My first guess was a failing old battery, so I had it replaced, but this made no difference.

Any ideas from the community would be appreciated, as my local dealer seems to find diagnosing problems very difficult if plugging the STAR diagnostic thing in doesn't fix it for them.

Many thanks

Steve

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom