Help with handeling my Mercedes Complaint (A Class)

Connor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class / 2016
So as a new Mercedes owner I'm unsure of what to do next/what to expect next.

3 months ago I bought my first Mercedes, an AMG line A Class (2016 facelift edition) - my first new car, an da bit of an upgrade from my 53 reg Polo. It was not a smooth purchase from the start, as the car I put a deposit down on was suddenly unavailable... but I carried on, perhaps foolishly not making any kind of complaint.

So I got my new A Class, just under three months ago now. Fell in love with it instantly. Then it rained... automatic wipers didn't bother coming on... and then I noticed my start stop wasn't coming on at all. Roll on garage visit number 1.

They couldn't fix her the first time, so had to take it back in. (visit number 2) and they did it, it took three days but they fixed it. I called up customer services and made a complaint, they called me back afterwards and said "it's fixed bye".

Then it started to behave strangely.... every now and then start stop would totally switch off the engine when stationary... the hold feature on the break wouldn't activate - or tell me if it was active on the screen. I let it slide a little while thinking it was user error - but when it did it on a busy junction and I noticed my headlights had fogged up with moisture I decided to call the garage. It went in for a day... they fixed it... but had no drivers to come and get me so I could get it. Walked an hour across town to pick it up and when I did arrive a driver was taking some people into town while their car got valeted. Collected my car, was told if the moisture returned to the headlights they needed replaced and sent to Germany and that no issues could be found with my start stop and hold break.

I thought that was it, car was fixed and I could get on with my life happily! But nope, when I arrived at work a colleague pointed out that the trim around my windscreen hadn't been attached properly and was loose. I was really p****d off. I called up customer services - they didn't want anything to do with it, put me back through to the garage who fixed it the same day.

But the start stop and hold issue was still happening, and is still happening. Headlights are still fogging up with moisture. So I emailed customer services and listed every single issue I'd have, from being sold a car I was later told I couldn't have, to the trim not being re-attached. They called me back, and are promising to resolve this within the next 7 days - briefly discussing the possibility of returning/exchanging the car. Ironically on the way home from work after that call my start stop stalled my car, turned off my hold break, on a hill - almost causing me to roll into the car behind. So another call to customer services and cider later I'm writing this! I've also been instructed to turn off my start stop mode, and use the hand break on hills and will receive a call tomorrow.

In a nut shell, if you're not bored yet - what can I expect to happen, if anything at all? I'm on my final straw with the car - it's had five garage visits in three months. I love the car, I'd take another A Class in a heart beat... I'm just beginning to loose patience and trust in mine.

Any advice from fellow Mercedes Owners would be grateful!

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear of your troubles.
I would finally start rejection proceedings. Then if MB offers a replacement of similar spec go from there.

OP
C

Connor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class / 2016
@LostKiwi - So, when they call me back tomorrow shall I say I want to reject the vehicle?

Thanks for your quick reply! Family and friends have rolled their eyes at this.... but it's an expensive purchase, and isn't a Ford Fiesta so I expected a lot better than this!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
As above...reject the car. They have had the chances they are allowed to fix the car...but it isn't fixed.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yes reject it. Follow up with a letter.
Take note of who you speak to, time of the call and what's said. Don't record the conversation unless you tell them first.
For this to work you need detailed records of everything that's happened to date.

OP
C

Connor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class / 2016
@LostKiwi

I will do. I called them as soon as the rolling down the hill incident occurred - as calling a dealer is futile - they don't seem to care. TBH I don't know if I'm with a different team of people now but the guy who is currently dealing with my case is pretty helpful and suggested returning the vehicle. We'll see what happens from tomorrow, it's a ****ty time for this to happen - and it's my only mode of transport.

I'd be happy with a similar replacement, maybe request a sunroof this time though.

But above all what I'd really like is an apology for how I've been treat - it's a bit, frustrating to be told there's no drivers available to collect you, to then sit in the garages coffee shop, watching people get lifts into town while their cars cleaned and being offered refreshments. I've yet to hear the word "sorry" once - I don't know if that's banned as it's them taking liability - but it's really the least they could say.

"Unfortunately it appears we've forgotten to reattach the trim around your windscreen correctly" isn't really a sorry.

I'll keep active here, along the way, thanks for your help guys. Hopefully tomorrow won't be overshadowed by my Merc. On the plus side, at least it's not hiding software in it to beat emissions tests, it's just flat out refusing to be eco-friendly at all.

Last edited:

Wozza14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 2010
What is the dealer, is it Salisbury out of interest, reject it now the more you accept repairs the worse trying to change will get, good luck and be interesting to see who's getting the lifts SL, S class owners maybe A down the pecking order,

OP
C

Connor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class / 2016
What is the dealer, is it Salisbury out of interest, reject it now the more you accept repairs the worse trying to change will get, good luck and be interesting to see who's getting the lifts SL, S class owners maybe A down the pecking order,

No but I did buy it from their Poole branch (same Franchise) - Newbury have been dealing with the repairs as I work in Newbury so it's my most "convenient " branch - I told Customer Services not to book it back in because I'm sick of having to try and fit it in between work/not being resolved.

If they want to treat their staff based on their vehicle class they can at least be honest, but if they want to do it by vehicle cost they may want to look at the price of mine VS entry level C classes. etc. But tbh having to walk to pick my car up is in the grand scheme of things, my smallest worry :(

I've been to the garage so many times now I think they probably just roll their eyes.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
So sorry to hear of the way that you and your car have been treated, if only the people at HQ could be human, rather than the shocking not interested manner that they take. I would reject the car, you have to.

Good luck.

OP
C

Connor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class / 2016
Okay so, the dealership I purchased it from have been in touch about my car, but they'd not heard about the latest issue so jumping MB Customer Services gun a little, perhaps to avoid wrist slapping.

Can offer me the same car with a metallic paint job.... for £10 more a month than what I currently pay for mine... because if you bought a TV and it didn't work... you'd return it and pay an extra £100 for a new one.

As for my start stop.... "You need to have the right conditions and charge for start stop to work" - why can't they understand the concept of start stop not actually working.

Thinking of waiting for customer services to call back and speaking to them, I'm not happy to accept the same car for more - then it's a lose lose. Will email back the dealership and explain I'm not going to accept more for the same.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Yup, as per Lostkiwi and Naraic, they've had ample opportunity to fix the car, it wasn't the car you'd bought, and their service has been less than desirable by the sounds of it.

Reject the car, make sure that's put in writing, and get hold of a dealer principle so you can start to extract something beyond a straigh replacement - they're giving 2 years free servicing on Approved Used at present, so they should be able to contribute something towards the sorry experience.

Good luck with it.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Okay so, the dealership I purchased it from have been in touch about my car, but they'd not heard about the latest issue so jumping MB Customer Services gun a little, perhaps to avoid wrist slapping.

Can offer me the same car with a metallic paint job.... for £10 more a month than what I currently pay for mine... because if you bought a TV and it didn't work... you'd return it and pay an extra £100 for a new one.

As for my start stop.... "You need to have the right conditions and charge for start stop to work" - why can't they understand the concept of start stop not actually working.

Thinking of waiting for customer services to call back and speaking to them, I'm not happy to accept the same car for more - then it's a lose lose. Will email back the dealership and explain I'm not going to accept more for the same.

I had the same issue with BMW a few years ago re stop/start - took 3 conversations with 2 different people to make them understand that I knew the parameters that dictated its operation, but when it stopped and wouldn't restart, THAT was not functioning as designed!

Be very persistent - I had it with my current car (bought for the Sandown Group - Dorchester), and they are lazy, fully expecting you to give up.

OP
C

Connor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class / 2016
I had the same issue with BMW a few years ago re stop/start - took 3 conversations with 2 different people to make them understand that I knew the parameters that dictated its operation, but when it stopped and wouldn't restart, THAT was not functioning as designed!

Be very persistent - I had it with my current car (bought for the Sandown Group - Dorchester), and they are lazy, fully expecting you to give up.

@Rotorhead500 - I've got mine from the same group, in Poole. I've just emailed and stated I'm not paying more for the same and I want to know what my options are for just giving them the car back. Looking forward to hear from customer services today as they're oddly the only people who seem to be listening to me, shame they can't do much on their end to help other than direct the garages toward a resolution.

And all of this on Christmas Eve! Of all times!

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I may have missed it, but have you sent a list of all the issues, in order, to MBUK?

I found them to be very prompt with their support. You can mention that you know somebody from this forum that had significant issues with the Sandown Group earlier this year, and none of it paints you a good picture of Mb ownership.

OP
C

Connor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class / 2016
I may have missed it, but have you sent a list of all the issues, in order, to MBUK?

I found them to be very prompt with their support. You can mention that you know somebody from this forum that had significant issues with the Sandown Group earlier this year, and none of it paints you a good picture of Mb ownership.

Yes I have, that's good to know - I'll repeat that to my complaint handler when he calls me back today (although I'm impatient and considering calling him).

The dealership were more than helpful when buying the car... minus allowing me to put a deposit down on a vehicle (of higher spec) and then telling me I can't have it. I wish they could be as helpful with their aftercare.

Only other worry is there's a smell dent in the passenger side door (god knows where/when it go there... based on the fact they couldn't re-attach trim at the garage I'd not be surprised if they did it) so when/if I do hand it back I'm concerned they'll use that to slap me with a big bill.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
If they were trying to reattach trim, someone was hamfisted and put the dent in it.

OP
C

Connor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class / 2016
The saga continues....

So after writing back and saying "Nope I'm not paying more for the same" and asking for return options I've had an email reply saying that what I'm being offered is a good deal, it's either that or have them look into repurchasing the car at trade price (whatever that is) or writing to MB to reject the car.

I called Customer Services, to ask if/when I'd get this promised call back today (I don't think its going to happen) and was told they were waiting on the dealership to email them back, sounded a bit surprised when I informed them that the dealership had been in touch with me - and were offering me a replacement for a higher cost, asking "Is that because the car isn't the same specification as your current model?" and sounding even more surprised when I told them it was for an identical replacement - the only difference being the 0 mileage, and if I opted, the colour.

I'm not going to let them push me into a corner, they managed to do that when they refused to give me the car I'd put a deposit on!

Last edited:

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Keep the nailing that point - they've offered a car of a certain spec, you've accepted and paid a deposit. Keep reiterating the issues you've had.

Give them two options that you'll settle for:

1. Replacement with a like for like car (or better spec), and some sort of compensation; or

2. Full refund at the on-the-road price you paid - not trade, that's a complete insult - sounds like they've had the car almost as much as you have! Oh, and compensation as the buy-back option leaves you without a car!

Last edited:
OP
C

Connor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class / 2016
Keep the nailing that point - they've offered a car of a certain spec, you've accepted and paid a deposit. Keep reiterating the issues you've had.

Give them two options that you'll settle for:

1. Replacement with a like for like car (or better spec), and some sort of compensation; or

2. Full refund at the on-the-road price you paid - not trade, that's a complete insult - sounds like they've had the car almost as much as you have! Oh, and compensation as the buy-back option leaves you without a car!

Thanks again Rotorhead500 - I'm glad (and sorry) you've had similar experience.

That's exactly what I'm going to tell customer services when they get back to me. I'm not going to bother with the dealer yet, they can speak to CS as they've been requested to do for some time now.

It's beyond a joke now. Yes if they give me a like for like replacement, I get the benefit of having zero miles, but I have the inconvenience of having to deal with a dodgy Merc for the past 3 months/the fact that it's not what I originally purchased (imagine if that happened with a house, sorry we can't give you that one anymore - how about a bungalow instead?). I should of asked for my deposit back and went to a different dealership with hindsight. Considering the way I've been treat/my cars been treat I think some form of compensation is in order - be it a slightly higher spec new car (I don't think theres much more to give me but, a sunroof maybe), and last of all a sorry we screwed up.

Bugs me that they have yet to even consider offering me a curtsey car that shouldn't stall and roll down hills / haven't questioned if my car is safe to use :confused: - I sometimes think they assume because I'm quite young I'm also dumb, I had one retailer in the north snort at me when I went in to request info on the car asking me rather rudely if I could afford it. However they've picked the wrong guy to try and pull a fast one on!

I forwarded the email chain from the dealership to CS, to add to my file - so they can see I'm not just making things up.

(If the dealership do read this, please don't bother to comment and go speak to CS and sort this out!)

Last edited:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom