Hi and THANKS already for successful help

Benton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 E320 CDI
Hello All,

Just wanted to express my appreciation for the site and the help I have received to fix two hugely annoying issues with my 2005 E320 CDI

I was able to locate and order an ODB2 device that erased the pulse count on my brakes that was causing an extremely anoying "malfunction" and "take car to nearest service shop" message. The new part would have been $2k, and there was nothing wrong with the old one. Device was $30.

Also, I was able to build the EGR delete circuit and successfully install it. No more check engine light on now!

Great site and helpful information!

Benton

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Good luck, hope your brakes don't fail and cause an accident. The pump reprogram can only be done safely when diagnosed and carried out on a star machine.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
The W211 SBC reset tool (4xRed buttons iirc) is infamous for many years now.

MB Star in developer mode can also perform the reset.

There are recon SBC units available @ £250.00
usually new motor brushes, slip ring, seals etc

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have stripped the motor section on a sbc pump with the service brake(timed out) fault. The brushes were approx 75% worn. Mercedes must know which pumps wear at this rate and which ones they can move the finish line on. If it's done without this knowledge, there isn't any guarantee you brakes would be safe in a year or so.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The SBC reset tool is popular with "pop up" car front dealers.

I get asked a lot by second hand car dealers to reset all the dash lights, ABS Airbags SBC, ESP, ASR, SRS, DSC, TPM etc

Some only want to move the problem along and some will fix it for the customer after the sale.

I politely refuse and don't do second hand car front work.
Unless they are fixing the problem diagnosed I leave it as a current DTC.

Nick Wood

Reaction score
Website
carfiles.org
Your Mercedes
S210 E320cdi 2001
My opinion:

1. If you do a reset to your own car once I don't have any problems with that.
  2. If the fault represents itself take adequate action. Yes there are rebuild units for sale.
  3. Personally I never reset anything until the problem is found and taken care of. Unless it's minor things like a short in one of the backup lights or a window actuator which once upon a time set a fault code as well as old faults of which I know are taken care of.
  4. Doing it for others without knowing the repairs will be carried out is a no go!
  5. Resetting indicators because a car has to be sold is a no go as well, actually more so.

I do agree on the statement this forum (which is made wonderful by it's members) does provide real help!

I experienced that today, LostKiwi really helped me out in the south-west of France! Just imagine....

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't agree that resetting a brake warning for yourself is ok, it's just playing Russian roulette with other people's lives. There will always be someone who will take the cheaper shortcut, I just hope none of my family are infront of him when their brakes fail. It can be done but in a safe and controlled manner as mb offer.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I had my pump extended cost me £120 and only extended after all other tests came back okay, I hate the thought of resets without full knowledge of what the fault actually is.

Ian, did you successfully rebuild the pump or was it just exploratory strip down to see what it's doing?

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just looking to see why and how bad thing were inside the motor part. They can fail in many ways, we see some that are very noisy and take forever to build up pressure, this was a timed out fault, so brushes I would have thought, and looking at them, it didn't have long.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't bother resetting any more, I used to check the brushes advise the customer and reset it,
now I just fit a recon pump as they are comparatively cheap these days and the safer option.

Nick Wood

Reaction score
Website
carfiles.org
Your Mercedes
S210 E320cdi 2001
I don't agree that resetting a brake warning for yourself is ok, it's just playing Russian roulette with other people's lives. There will always be someone who will take the cheaper shortcut, I just hope none of my family are infront of him when their brakes fail. It can be done but in a safe and controlled manner as mb offer.

Really? Do you have the experience if that pump doesn't work you got no brakes at all? Only the ABS part won't, the brakes themselves will work like they did in the last century when ABS was rare. As in cars that had no ABS, they would stop when needed as well. Whole generations like mine had to do without ABS.

I do agree on the fact it has to be sorted, only if the fault comes back and I'm sure the topic starter is well aware it can and act accordingly.

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Nope SBC upon failure will leave you with 10% braking, totally different system to anything else out there

Nick Wood

Reaction score
Website
carfiles.org
Your Mercedes
S210 E320cdi 2001
I think I have to find out more about this, you can very well be right in what you stated but I'm not aware of that fact, yet ....

If that's the case just resetting is no option, I wonder if the topic starter knows this.. I sure didn't and stand corrected when it's true.

Not doubting your expert opinion but I never looked at it in detail.

See, I'm never too old to learn. Now I will dig in deep to get the core of the system understood for myself. Thanks for letting me know I don't know everything! Keeps me on the edge and alive!

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Google merc Brake failure, lots on sbc. Heard of people crashing their cars at walking speed in car parks because sbc failed after ignoring fault. 10% is like no brakes at all. Good help you at 70mph.
Never too old to learn, myself included.

Last edited:

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think I have to find out more about this, you can very well be right in what you stated but I'm not aware of that fact, yet ....

If that's the case just resetting is no option, I wonder if the topic starter knows this.. I sure didn't and stand corrected when it's true.

Not doubting your expert opinion but I never looked at it in detail.

See, I'm never too old to learn. Now I will dig in deep to get the core of the system understood for myself. Thanks for letting me know I don't know everything! Keeps me on the edge and alive!

The reduced/emergency braking system is also ineffective as it only uses the front brakes.
Not much fun in a fully loaded E class coming down the mountain pass with 5 people screaming.

OP
B

Benton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 E320 CDI
I'm beginning to see the point, at first I thought it was all exaggerated but reading the replies I understand it's a very real issue.

I will google it, thanks gentlemen !!
Thanks for the advice. I'm well aware of the issue with the brakes. I understand how the system works, and the mod was not completed with the intentions of it being a "fix", rather just a delay until I can get a pump. I have had these apart before and saw that the unit was only 1/3 used life when the light came on. I feel very comfortable driving the car a bit more before catistrophic failure. My experience is that there will be noticable symptoms prior to catistrophic failure. I try to use common sense...didn't know this was going to blow up.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There won’t be any symptoms, the motor will just fail. Turning off the warning doesn’t extend the pump life, the brushes will only last so long.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
The W211 SBC reset tool (4xRed buttons iirc) is infamous for many years now.

MB Star in developer mode can also perform the reset.

There are recon SBC units available @ £250.00
usually new motor brushes, slip ring, seals etc
hi ,where do you get the reset tool and or the recon sbc pumps.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom