Hi, I'm back, just bought a W211

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
Hi, I'm an existing member, but haven't had a Mercedes for ages. I'm collecting my new car tomorrow, and just thought I'd share that, get some advice etc. I did have a W211 E55 previously, which was great. However being a 2003 it was starting to show subtle signs of rust. Since then I promised myself to never buy a pre (2004?) galvernised Mercedes again.

I hope to be able to share my experiences, and hopefully get some advice. One things worrying me is I forgot about the SBC system these cars are fitted with?!! :( Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome back!
I believe there are work arounds on the SBC systems now...

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Welcome back!
I believe there are work arounds on the SBC systems now...
Thanks, that's good to know. Plus, the gearbox, it's done 134,000, I presume it will never have had a fluid change? The service history is a bit odd, it started at non franchised garages and ended up having it's last few services at a Mercedes Main Dealer, weird. On the test drive it was very smooth and quite powerful, the gearbox was a tiny bit lumpy low down (dirty fluid?) and it puls to the left when you release the steering, not violently but you have to correct it once you let go. Everything works though, inc the AC. It's had some money spent on the rear suspension, airbag and pump I think. The ride was a bit firm, could that be because it's a sport?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Fluid change would be wise regardless
The firm ride is likely the combination of larger wheels, tyre type and pressure- inevitably too high spoiling the ride imo

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How much should would an indy want for a fluid change? I'm picking it up later today, I'll post some more pics and probably questions! Thanks

B

brick10

Welcome back, my indy charges about £190 for gearbox oil change.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
How much should would an indy want for a fluid change? I'm picking it up later today, I'll post some more pics and probably questions! Thanks
Good Indy on this site , Ian at Star Mercedes in Reading is the man to see where you live .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hard ride probably due to 18 inch wheels and as you say the "sport" version .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When you say the last few services were by MB , they may well have been the "value 7 year plus service" which is basically an oil change and a few checks for 7 year and older cars (just guessing) however if any of the MB services are described as B service , then it wasn't the value option . Either way , probably worth getting a B service with Ian and ATF and filter change so you know where you stand , unless you are fairly handy and do some of the work yourself , like oil and filter changes ?

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the replies. I'm collecting it later this evening. I shall report back, give some more info on the history. I'm quite excited, but also worried. My insurance will lapse on my other car tonight as well, so I hope it's OK! Do Star Mercedes flush the gearbox, or just drain the sump and, if it turns out the gearbox has never been serviced is that worrying at 134,000?

Plus, my e60 530d car stereo is garbage. I believe this car has the Harmon Kardon option, is it any good, the standard one in my last W211 was rubbish?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ The 2005 is still the 5g box I think? In which case, and indy charges around £160 for ATF, new filter and gasket. The 7g is nearer £200 IIRC. As mentioned Star in Caversham Nr Reading are your best bet.

Whether you have had ATF changes ot not, its good to have it done and hopefully you will have a drain plug to drain the torque convertor as well. It's not flushed, just drained and refilled after checking the sump pan for filings:shock: It will probably be pretty dirty if its never been changed but fresh ATF will breathe some life into it.
Mine was changed at 115k for possibly the first time and it was pretty filthy but no filings. That isn't a good sign.

As for HK, I have it in my E55 and its pretty good. Certainly an improvement on Bose. I don't know what system BMW fit.

Hope the car turns out to be as expected....a good one:)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the replies. I'm collecting it later this evening. I shall report back, give some more info on the history. I'm quite excited, but also worried. My insurance will lapse on my other car tonight as well, so I hope it's OK! Do Star Mercedes flush the gearbox, or just drain the sump and, if it turns out the gearbox has never been serviced is that worrying at 134,000?

Plus, my e60 530d car stereo is garbage. I believe this car has the Harmon Kardon option, is it any good, the standard one in my last W211 was rubbish?
Star Merc will know all the tricks and all the options to best sort your ATF , I'll leave the expert comments to them .

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I like the w211. I put a couple of dampers on the back of my estate yesterday and it's a ****** revelation! The old ones weren't shot, just gone a bit weak. Drives like a brand new car again! Good luck with yours, hope it's a goodun!

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, this is excellent. I shall report back later once I've collected it and had a chance to go through the history in detail. I may wait until it's been cleaned to share photos, it's a bit of a mess. The slight pull could be tyre pressures maybe, it has been sat for a few weeks apparently. Hope I've not wasted my money, I haven't been as through as I am normally. They guy selling it seemed very straight, the car HPI clear etc.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, this is excellent. I shall report back later once I've collected it and had a chance to go through the history in detail. I may wait until it's been cleaned to share photos, it's a bit of a mess. The slight pull could be tyre pressures maybe, it has been sat for a few weeks apparently. Hope I've not wasted my money, I haven't been as through as I am normally. They guy selling it seemed very straight, the car HPI clear etc.
Do a couple of before pics as well buddy , we all like them .

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Right to say I'm pleased is a bit of an understatement, the car seems great, very nice guy who sold it to me. It's filthy, not in a skanky way, it's never been smoked in/dogged etc. Just needs a good clean inside and out. The engine is great, very powerful, it doesn't seem to pull to one side at all, a very slight vibration through the wheel is evident once you hit 70 but the tyres are 2/3 worn so just a bit out of balance I suspect. The stereo seems very good, powerful doesn't distort. The history looks good, a bit odd and back to front, there is a duplicate book for one stamp, there was an explanation. TBH it feels like it's been very well maintained, there's a few big main dealer invoices, brakes, airbag/compressor and some hoses etc, the engine is as smooth as silk, sounds like a petrol. I've just pumped in £50 of Shell expensive Diesel as its been sitting a while thought it a good idea. I just think a box oil change is in order, I can't find the dip stick tube to seeing the cap is red or black, any ideas where it is please? P.S sorry if there's too many pics!!

Attachments

• IMAG0273.jpg
    IMAG0273.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMAG0274.jpg
    IMAG0274.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0275.jpg
    IMAG0275.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0277.jpg
    IMAG0277.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0278.jpg
    IMAG0278.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0279.jpg
    IMAG0279.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0280.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0281.jpg
    IMAG0281.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0282.jpg
    IMAG0282.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Cap for gearbox dipstick tube is right at the back, in the corner between the end of the air filter box and the cam cover. As I'm sure you know, a black tamper seal means it's never been off. Red means it's at least had a dipstick pushed in once...

Looks nice though!

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cap for gearbox dipstick tube is right at the back, in the corner between the end of the air filter box and the cam cover. As I'm sure you know, a black tamper seal means it's never been off. Red means it's at least had a dipstick pushed in once...

Looks nice though!
Thanks, still couldn't find it, I'll look tomorrow. I'll send some more pics once it's been cleaned.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Looks good honest condition , think you might have bagged a good un there

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, and I'm very pleased with it, seems much nicer inside than the 530d, even the leather feels nicer. It's done half the miles though.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom