HID not working one side

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI 2007 2.1 diesel and C180 2009
Hello

My first post as my merc never usually lets me down - had it 2 years, amazing car - a 56 plate W211 E220 CDI

After replacing the bulb (£50 ish Halfords - ouch !!) to no avail I recon Im in need of a ballast thing.

Swapping the bulb shows the replacement bulb works on t other side so Ballast unit is next down the line... unless there is a separate LH side fuse but I dint think so.

I might swap the ballast units to make sure

Out of curiosity I will ask local MB main dealer how much a new one is from them but I will probably go down the e bay / breakers used route.

Has anyone here been down this route - ? Do I need a precise model specific ballast ?

Thanks for sharing any advice - I will post the outcome when I have fixed it

Matt - Brighton

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I think the ballast is common among many makes , I replaced one on an older E class with one off a Vauxhall so you don't have to buy one specifically off an MB , oh and you will be told its a bumper off job to swap ballasts but it isn't

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The ballast is shared amongst other vehicles.

Part no. 5DC009060-00 is what I fitted to my ‘07 S211 (A2118709126 is MB part no. )

Bought off the ‘bay for £129 from 5starsparts

Fitting wise, on the right side it’s awkwardish, wheel off and drop the wheelhouse down, then 3 screws for the ballast which fits to the underside of the headlamp. On the left side, the power steering pump is right in the way.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom