1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High beam assist

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by Altamar, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Altamar

Altamar New Member

Your Mercedes:
    2014 E Class 220D saloon & 2015 SL400
    Hi all, newbie posting my first message so any help appreciated please.

I bought a 2015 SL400 in the summer but I haven't driven it often in the dark outside built up areas. I know it's got the intelligent light system with cornering lights etc, and high beam assist. I have noticed the main beam has NEVER come on and TBH put that down to the fact that there is usually at least some light from street lights but last night my son took it for a spin into the countryside and the main beam still didn't come on.

I always leave the lights on auto and when I push the stalk forward the symbol suggesting the HBA system has engaged lights up on the dashboard but the beam doesn't come on. The settings function says I can disable the intelligent light system but this doesn't appear to make any difference.

I learnt from this forum (thank you) that if I move the light switch from auto the main beam works on manual (and has to be knocked off if a car approaches) but I don't want to override it or disable it, I want the system to work as designed!

Any thoughts please?

2. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    This might be stating the obvious but are you above (IIRC) 40 mph? There is a minimum speed for it to work too I seem to remember

Altamar and sl500amgsport like this.
  3. Srdl

Srdl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253) Premium Plus
    It works above 30kph according to my manual. Have you checked the windscreen is clean in front of the mirror where the sensors are?

4. OP
    Altamar

Altamar New Member

Your Mercedes:
    Hi John, that's a good question. Most of the time I use the car after dark would have been under 40 MPH. I think there would have been some occasions over that but I will specifically test this when I get chance. Thanks for the reply.

John Laidlaw likes this.
  5. OP
    Altamar

Altamar New Member

Your Mercedes:
    Hi Steve, I will make sure it is clean when I take it out for a test run. All these suggestions are helpful thanks.

Srdl likes this.
  6. Andy.M

Andy.M Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
    I live along a single track country lane where you cant drive fast enough for the auto hi-beam and its frustrating to say the least!

Rappey69 likes this.
  7. Dell

Dell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2015 C class C220 CDI Coupe silver
    Hi Altamar
    I have the same on my car and it won't operate below 30 mph or in lit up areas or if following other traffic and sometimes reflective signs make it dip.
    I have it turned off as it won't dip until it see's lights coming other way and I like to dip as soon as I see lights also you can't flash anyone when it is turned on.
    Dell

8. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R320 2007
    It sounds like a well thought out system .... o_O

Another needless bit of tech cos they can.

9. Botus

Botus Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S500/2010/500
    on a VW you have to toggle the high beam switch so the high beam blue bulb indicator displays with a tiny "A" showing
    on a BM its in the I-drive settings

"A" for automatic switching, left as just a std looking warning light it remains in manual... mind you on a 2018 Passat, it needed a mile (much of which was at 60 mph) with the "A" showing in pitch black unlit roads before it woke up and started to do things automatically, 8 miles later it forgot how to work part way through the 20 mile journey

my experience is in perfect conditions they work very well.... for pressing on and staying up when you need it rather than reacting to some blokes house on a country lane or another nasty fault I found on my BM it will not re enable till above 40MPH so you can get stuck unable to see anything on country lanes after it dips for reflective road signs

I always turn it off... doing it manually its 100% right, instead of 90% right most of the time and frequently dangerous.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Altamar likes this.
  10. Srdl

Srdl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253) Premium Plus
    I like ILS on mine. I tend to leave it in dipped and then just go to auto high beam when there is less traffic about. Seems to work fine for me and the intelligent light pattern is a big improvement over standard high beam.

Altamar and rorywquin like this.
  11. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 SL400 with lots of fruit
    If you want to flash, you pull the stick back as you normally would...(on mine anyway)

also from the manual

Switching Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus on/off

[​IMG]
    To switch on: turn the light switch to [​IMG].
    [​IMG]
    Press the combination switch beyond the pressure point in the direction of arrow [​IMG].
    • The [​IMG] indicator lamp in the multifunction display lights up when it is dark and the light sensor switches on the dipped-beam headlamps.
      At speeds above approximately 25 km/h: the headlamp range is automatically controlled according to the distance to other road users.
    • At speeds above approximately 30 km/h:
      • if no other road users are detected, the main-beam headlamps are automatically switched on
      • if other road users are detected, the partial main-beam headlamps are automatically switched on
    • The [​IMG] indicator lamp in the instrument cluster also lights up.
    • At speeds below approximately 25 km/h or when there is sufficient street lighting:
      • the partial main-beam headlamps are switched off automatically
      • the main-beam headlamps are switched off automatically
    • The [​IMG] indicator lamp in the instrument cluster goes out. The [​IMG] indicator lamp in the multifunction display remains lit.
    [​IMG]
    To switch off: move the combination switch back to its normal position or move the light switch to another position.

Altamar likes this.
  12. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I leave mine permanently on high - never been flashed by another car!

13. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything,A class 170cdi auto

i always thought that stalk on the left of steering wheel did all this with fairly minimal effort, if one is not actually disabled

Jimbo1959, LostKiwi and Botus like this.
  14. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2012 W204 Sport ///AMG Line 4dr Auto, Obsidian Black, Light Grey Faux Leather
    I think the ILS operates a bit below 40 mph, mine start to operate at about 33/34 mph. :)

John Laidlaw and Altamar like this.
  15. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    Working from memory Andy since I defected !! Sounds like 30 is the magic figure

16. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Yes, I think you are probably right there John :)

John Laidlaw likes this.
  17. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I said 33/34 mph I think because they are sometimes a little ponderous :rolleyes:

John Laidlaw likes this.
  18. wivenhoe

wivenhoe Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2018 E Class E350e plug in hybrid
    On the latest generation of ILS (not sure when it was introduced) on High Beam you have main beam on even following a car - the cameras create a black spot on the car in front but lights around it. I was alarmed initially as the full beam light was on whilst following a car but then I realised it wasn’t causing a problem - the driver in front must wonder where the additional light is coming from !

Srdl and rorywquin like this.
  19. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:

It seems your car does not have this feature - It is far more advanced than you seem to appreciate (Adaptive High Beam Assist Plus) - it provides the best possible visibility without dazzling other drivers. The car ahead looks almost as if it is in a black box while everything around it is lit up and the headlights continually adjust to oncoming traffic and the road (actively uses GPS and speed).

This technology frees you up so you can have a safer journey and pay better attention to speed, road hazards and other issues on your journey.....You cannot really appreciate how good it is until you use it....perhaps you would prefer the old foot operated switch on the floor and headlights that dazzled other drivers.

dmb007 and Srdl like this.
  20. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    25 / 30 km/h