how do i get the alternator pulley of a w210 e220 cdi

manminder

New Registration
Reaction score
i have a problem my fan belt is shaking and my battery ant charging i assume the alternator pulley is a viscous style like pulley so i thought id change but i dont know how it comes off, the battery light does not light up in the instrument cluster panel telling me the alternator is okay, i have tried a different battery slightly smaller ampage but started car a few times then died completely as-well i have also changed the belt and tensioner but the belt still shakes at idle i'm more worried about the battery not charging at this stage i think it could be the water pump pulley causing the shake in the belt as it shakes only after the belt goes past the water pump pulley

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
If your battery wasn't charging I'd expect the light in the dash to be on. How old is your battery?
Have you had the belt off and checked the pulleys by hand for play? What makes you suspect the alternator pulley? My first guess would be the belt tensioner. I've not heard of a viscous alternator pulley.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The alternator with the built in sprag clutch can fail causing the shake,,there is a special tool for removing it but some do it without. I may have some details for you

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Wow, was just about to ask about this pulley when i came across this..
The pulley is free to rotate anti-clockwise but locks in the opposite direction.
From looking at it i assume it screws onto the alternator shaft and some sort of splined tool fits in the end to unscrew it ???
how does one stop the alternator from turning when trying to unscrew it?
What have others used to remove other than the proper tool ?
My belt flaps around too and causes a squeel on full lock.
This little beauty will set you back around £90 from MB :eek:

Attachments

• alternator pulley.JPG
    alternator pulley.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 225

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are many post here on this mainly going back to around 2006-7 Panosonic was on some of the post and he changed his on his ML.

I can give out the MB paper but that uses the special tool,,but others have improvised

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
there are many posts but none answer what i have asked.
Panosonic1 also states in reply to what you have said that he has never changed one !

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
As Malc said, theres a tool we use to remove/refit, dont know how you could do it without!!

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
So is the answer to my questions some sort of secret ? lol.
Since we are on the subject of alternators- water cooled, does it cool from the vehicles cooling system or is it self contained? Another question that i would like to be elightened upon. :cool:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So is the answer to my questions some sort of secret ? lol.
Since we are on the subject of alternators- water cooled, does it cool from the vehicles cooling system or is it self contained? Another question that i would like to be elightened upon. :cool:

The water cooled versions are done in situ,,it is that easy to do.

Just for the record they are in the cooling circuit

jj1975

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 c220cdi 2002
i have a problem my fan belt is shaking and my battery ant charging i assume the alternator pulley is a viscous style like pulley so i thought id change but i dont know how it comes off, the battery light does not light up in the instrument cluster panel telling me the alternator is okay, i have tried a different battery slightly smaller ampage but started car a few times then died completely as-well i have also changed the belt and tensioner but the belt still shakes at idle i'm more worried about the battery not charging at this stage i think it could be the water pump pulley causing the shake in the belt as it shakes only after the belt goes past the water pump pulley

i had same problem and its alternator's pulley faullt and i just changed yesterday and every thing its fine now the pulley it cost me £50 from
EURO CAR PARTS and the kit to change it from ebay £25
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390092748199
its easy to change it just remove the driving belt

Last edited:

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Silly question, but why the complex pulley, and not a direct drive type?:confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Silly question, but why the complex pulley, and not a direct drive type?:confused:

To try to combat the problems of driving high output alternators, car makers moved over to multi grooved belts.
These enabled the belt to drive everything in the chain, but they have created their own problem such as excessive wear.

To counteract this problem alternators can be fitted with pulleys that dampen the rotational speed differences, and loads.

If a normal pulley was fitted,,then you could end up with squeaks and belt judder, or at the worst the shredding of the belt

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
there are many posts but none answer what i have asked.
Panosonic1 also states in reply to what you have said that he has never changed one !

Rappey, television is correct when he said i changed my alternator pulley, you appear to have read an earlier post of mine where at that point i hadnt done one.

My pulley was seized solid (no free-wheel) so i simply held the pulley with a large pair of stilsons and used the splined tool to unscrew the pulley from the alternator. I did the job in situ and it took about 30 minutes altogether.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE

As the alternator must be driven much faster than the crank, the rotational inertia of the alternator as seen by the crank is very large (rotational interia scales with speed ration squared!).

Along with long flexible belt, this is a recipe for vibration problem. Despite the needle on your rev counter being quite smooth, the speed of the crank is constantly changing - slowing up during each compression stroke, and then rapidly accelerating when a cylinder fires.

At certain engine speeds, a vibration would build up in the belt, causing both noise and ruining the belt as Malcolm has written.

On the older cars with long belts and solid alternaotr pulleys, this led to the need to use expensive dampers on the belt tensioners - these devices prevented the vibration building too far, but didn't really deal with cause of the problem.

The overrun clutch in the modern alternator pulley effectively de-couples the inertia of the alternator from the engine, and comes closer to removing the cause of the problem than the sticking plaster solution of bolting on a damper.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
very nicely put george, i could not have said it better myself.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
All is becomming clear now !
So why do merc want £92 for the pulley yet eurocar parts charge £50 for the same item?? And yes it is the same item, branded INA !!!
Daylight robbery me thinks.
I just bought 2 rear springs which again were less than half the mercedes price (mercedes ones seem to break far to easily anyway)

P>S, jj1975, do you want to sell on your kit as if i bought one i would probably only ever use it the once ?

Last edited:

jj1975

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 c220cdi 2002
i'm sorry Rappey69 but i keep all the the toolls i buy

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
thats no problem jj1975.
I have a whole shed load of redundant tools that i have bought and used once... Just trying to avoid accumulating more !

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom