How do you alter camber on W211 E270 CDi?

james2747

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI 2003
Following my previous post, "Inner Edge Tyre Wear" on 1st January, I took car for a suspension check / alignment yesterday.
It confirmed the tracking was out which they said was probably causing the inner edge wear but also confirmed the camber on one front wheel is way out … (see report attached).
The tracking was corrected but I was told there is no way they can adjust the camber on the front wheels of this model … but if it can't be adjusted … how come its that far out.
Does anyone know any 'tricks' as to how I can get the camber back within spec?
It says it is -1.9 deg. Is this negative camber and top of wheel is further out than the bottom?
If so … I would have expected the outer edge of the tyres to be wearing quicker than the inner edge … which wasn't the case when I discovered the weird tyre wear last week.
Perhaps I'm better just to wait and see if the rapid inner edge tyre wear has now been corrected.
Any advice, suggestions most welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20190105_0001.pdf
    649.8 KB · Views: 15

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Negative camber is where the tops of the wheels are closer together than the bottoms.
To adjust camber you can buy a set of camber adjustment bolts from Mercedes. Not impressed that the alignment place didnt know that. ln general for something to be that far out its had a hefty thump or something is very worn or has an incorrect part.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I know Steve at Avangarde Mercedes's (Clevedon near Bristol) has the camber bolts and the alignment kit to set them up

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Chopped, lowered or worn out front springs (or/and) worn out front LCA bushes = -ve camber = worn inner tyre edge.

I can't say I'm pro Pro Tyre either...

OP
J

james2747

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI 2003
I know Steve at Avangarde Mercedes's (Clevedon near Bristol) has the camber bolts and the alignment kit to set them up

Hi Wighty
Thank you very much for the info …. I will definitely contact them as I would like the car to be 'right' and they aren't too far away.
Much appreciated.

OP
J

james2747

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI 2003
Negative camber is where the tops of the wheels are closer together than the bottoms.
To adjust camber you can buy a set of camber adjustment bolts from Mercedes. Not impressed that the alignment place didnt know that. ln general for something to be that far out its had a hefty thump or something is very worn or has an incorrect part.

Thanks for putting me right on which way wheels go with negative camber … that definitely explains the inner edge wear.
I will need to get the adjustment bolts or I'll continue to scrub through tyres every 5,000 miles.
Many thanks for your reply … much appreciated.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi Wighty
Thank you very much for the info …. I will definitely contact them as I would like the car to be 'right' and they aren't too far away.
Much appreciated.
Let us know how you get on :D

Top Bottom