how much for insurance?

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 2001 230k
been with RH insurance for years. have a classic car policy with them paying £60 for unlimited milage and breakdown cover. added my modern car to it and it has bumped it up to £100 a year.

so that's my Mercedes and my classic Austin for £100 a year fully comp including breakdown cover.

Thanks for the tip. Just got a quote from RH at £221 for 3000 miles limit or £232 for 5000 miles limit per year for my 2001 CLK convertible. They stipulate that cars must be parked in garage between 10pm - 6am. Still far higher than your bargain premium, but better than Lancaster quoted me this morning at £1300!!

They did however stipulate that i needed to have a more modern car as daily driver. This was awkward as my daily driver is in fact an older car, 1995 Peugeot 205, but they accepted this.

Last edited:

M.Ako

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c63 2008
c63

My c63 was cheaper to insure than my Peugeot 407 2.0d ?

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Renewal - Premium Reduction

This time last year I was over the moon because the meerkats got me a superb quote from LV and following a ridiculous renewal price from Saga (who taken my money for 20 years) I was quite smug having "saved" £299. It cost me £278 to cover myself and SWMBO in our '08 C Class Estate C220 Cdi Avantgarde with no excess (absolutely none) and full European travel and glass cover. According to the paperwork they had allotted 79.80% NCD - their maximum percentage.

Then back in June, I needed to add cover for my daughter who lives about 70 miles away because we were going to do a few long and complicated journeys via her address and it was sensible for her to be able to do half the driving. A young lady at LV said it wasn't worth talking about any temporary cover because they would charge me just £15.63 for the remaining four months with no admin fee, so that was that. It was easy to work out that the additional fee worked out at around £40 per annum and I thought that was a reasonable add-on fee.

Now here's the good news:

My annual renewal has just arrived. I expected the price increase game to start all over again with a massive premium price hike and I also thought I would have to remove my daughter from the policy because it isn't worth an extra £40-ish every year. So as I opened the envelope I mentally prepared for another round of price comparisons...

But the renewal price is £274.19! - Yes, that's £3.81 less than the price last year before I added my daughter as a driver! So it seems I am somewhere between £3.81 and about £44 better off!

I wonder if this is a result of the falling number of claims we keep hearing about or just a marketing ploy to keep me on board for another year?

So if you're looking around this year, based on my experience I certainly recommend that you search for a renewal price using the "Go Compare" site.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 2001 230k
So that rules any kind of shift work out then :rolleyes:

Ahh, the overnight garage clause only applies when parked at home address.

The 205 diesel is costing me around £400 per year with full no claims, no points and both drivers in 40's. Sheffield is expensive though as far as insurance goes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 2001 230k
I just rang the number on MBO link to Chris Knott insurers and they won't even quote for my 2001 CLK as they say it's too new. They are only able to quote as a 'modern car' whereas Pete Best and RH Insurance both considered it at classic status. Thus Chris Knott said they wouldn't be able to be competitive so to try them again when the car reaches 15 years old. A bit disappointed as the MBO site advert makes out as though there are big discounts to be had. Not in my case i'm afraid. Good luck to others however.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 2001 230k
Having considered paying to join MBO site at £30, the carrot to me was the supposedly reduced insurance premiums. Glad i saved my money now as having rang their partner insurer (Chris Knott) i found that they do not consider the 2001 CLK to be a classic car and as such it doesn't qualify for a classic car policy.

Last edited:

toby8239

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63 AMG
Same thing here;

Jaguar S Type R to Merc E350 - £200 more, for many BHP less.

Just chopped the Jag (400bhp) for an E63 AMG (550bhp) - £42 less for the merc.

Odd..in a good way!

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003
I just rang the number on MBO link to Chris Knott insurers and they won't even quote for my 2001 CLK as they say it's too new. They are only able to quote as a 'modern car' whereas Pete Best and RH Insurance both considered it at classic status. Thus Chris Knott said they wouldn't be able to be competitive so to try them again when the car reaches 15 years old. A bit disappointed as the MBO site advert makes out as though there are big discounts to be had. Not in my case i'm afraid. Good luck to others however.

I have insured my 2012 S350 through Chris Knott but they said that for my 2003 SL their underwriter would not give a classic status so quotes was several hundred pounds more than comparison website. Guess which I choose

The S renewal was slightly dearer with them this year but still cheaper than comparison web sites. Guess which I choose.

ardaelius

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class 2010 2.1 diesel four door w204 c250 cdi blue eff sport
where may I insure my mb c class 2010 c250 diesel sport saloon, I feel that I am being taken advantage of in this respect, ardaelius

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
where may I insure my mb c class 2010 c250 diesel sport saloon, I feel that I am being taken advantage of in this respect, ardaelius

I've been very happy with LV for my car and my wife's Mini Cooper for several years. Latest renewal is £254 for the Merc including European cover, excess £300. Just me and Mrs drive and car garaged overnight, both clean licenses.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

I'm using Churchill- £388 fully comp for the E63- only downside is a combined £900 excess but thats ok in my book.

AlexM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E63 AMG 2013 5.5 Bi-Turbo
£505 for my E63 with Class 1 business use and agreed value with Admiral. I thought that seemed quite reasonable. They did try to put it up by £180 at renewal, but swiftly retreated when presented with a competing quote and reduced it by £30 below last year!.

schony

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 320 cdi
Hello everyone. I am a new member and and now considering purchasing another Mercedes, this time a E class 320 cdi. My problem is finding a reasonable insurance quote. My wife is disabled so for the past 6 years we have had a motobiolity car. following her recent farcicle PiP assesment they have decided to withdraw the motobility component, dispite the fact she is registered blind for the past 40 years. However we shall appeal and will no doubt win and get the mobility component back. In the meantime we have decided to purchase our own car but this has left me with the problem of no NCB for the previous 6 years and I am getting quotes varying between 700 and 1000 pounds. Annoying as I had 20 years of accident free insurance prior to the mobility award. Can any members suggest a reasonable broker with reasonable rates for a 65 year old with clean record?
Thanks

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
This time last year I was over the moon because the meerkats got me a superb quote from LV and following a ridiculous renewal price from Saga (who taken my money for 20 years) I was quite smug having "saved" £299. It cost me £278 to cover myself and SWMBO in our '08 C Class Estate C220 Cdi Avantgarde with no excess (absolutely none) and full European travel and glass cover. According to the paperwork they had allotted 79.80% NCD - their maximum percentage.

Then back in June, I needed to add cover for my daughter who lives about 70 miles away because we were going to do a few long and complicated journeys via her address and it was sensible for her to be able to do half the driving. A young lady at LV said it wasn't worth talking about any temporary cover because they would charge me just £15.63 for the remaining four months with no admin fee, so that was that. It was easy to work out that the additional fee worked out at around £40 per annum and I thought that was a reasonable add-on fee.

Now here's the good news:

My annual renewal has just arrived. I expected the price increase game to start all over again with a massive premium price hike and I also thought I would have to remove my daughter from the policy because it isn't worth an extra £40-ish every year. So as I opened the envelope I mentally prepared for another round of price comparisons...

But the renewal price is £274.19! - Yes, that's £3.81 less than the price last year before I added my daughter as a driver! So it seems I am somewhere between £3.81 and about £44 better off!

I wonder if this is a result of the falling number of claims we keep hearing about or just a marketing ploy to keep me on board for another year?

So if you're looking around this year, based on my experience I certainly recommend that you search for a renewal price using the "Go Compare" site.

That is similar to my insurance costs with Aviva. I am 69

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
Hello everyone. I am a new member and and now considering purchasing another Mercedes, this time a E class 320 cdi. My problem is finding a reasonable insurance quote. My wife is disabled so for the past 6 years we have had a motobiolity car. following her recent farcicle PiP assesment they have decided to withdraw the motobility component, dispite the fact she is registered blind for the past 40 years. However we shall appeal and will no doubt win and get the mobility component back. In the meantime we have decided to purchase our own car but this has left me with the problem of no NCB for the previous 6 years and I am getting quotes varying between 700 and 1000 pounds. Annoying as I had 20 years of accident free insurance prior to the mobility award. Can any members suggest a reasonable broker with reasonable rates for a 65 year old with clean record?
Thanks

Hi schony, we have a disability brand (En Route Insurance). Even under our MBO Insurance brand we can accept your motability bonus. Please give us a call if you'd like a quote.

Best,
Nick

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Well doesn't time fly. :)

The last time I posted in this thread was back in 2014 when I was with Privilege and paying just under £750 for cover on my mildly (at the time) modified E Class. To be fair, I was quite pleased with this as any modifications tend to bump the price up. Unfortunately, I kept altering things and it got to the stage where I was told that they couldn't cover me anymore as I'd gone over their limit of a greater than 21% increase in power. :(

Fast forward to today and I've just received my renewal notice from A Plan who I went with after leaving Privilege. Everything is still the same, with maximum no claims, no accidents etc, though I no longer have the SP50 blighting my licence. The cost for this is just a touch under £700, which I'm quite pleased with as it includes all the modifications and an increase in power of 26%+.

I did try Chris Knott above as a matter of courtesy, though they didn't want to know due to the increase in power. :(

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Ive just taken out a policy for my son (17) on the A150. As a learner fully comprehensive with me as a named driver, £389 :D Very pleased but no where as good as it was with just me (£56). It will jump up to around £1300 when he passes his test.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Still not bad even at £1,300 for a 17 year old Mark.

Some people on PH giving figures in excess of £3k...

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom