How to: Remove and replace the front fan unit on a w210

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Hi all

Just did this today, so wrote up a quick guide. I had to re-attache the poly belt behind the two front fans, so took some pictures whilst I did it. All the pictures are clickable for bigger more detailed versions.

Its posted here:

http://fotifixes.com/2013/03/01/how-to-removechange-the-front-fan-unit-in-a-w210-e-class/

and the content:
I recently picked up a 2002 E55 AMG that has a bit of accident damage. The bonnet was dented, the fan housing was cracked and the fan grill was broken. Additionally, the poly v belt that runs between the individual fan blades had disconnected.

The Mercedes WIS guide for this has some pretty poor pictures so I thought I would do my own guide:

[highlight]Step 1[/highlight] - Remove the grill by twisting the square bolts at the top and lifting straight out

[highlight]Step 2[/highlight]*- Remove the 2 bolts on either side of the slam panel:

[highlight]Step 3[/highlight]*- Remove the cover on the right hand side of the fan, and unplug the connector

[highlight]Step 4[/highlight] - Remove the Clips on the top of the radiator that clip the radiator to the slam panel:

[highlight]Step 5 -*[/highlight]Remove the bolt hold the bottom bracket of the slam panel onto the horn mounting bracket:

[highlight]Step 6 -*[/highlight]Undo the 2 bolts at the top of the fan housing that holds the fan housing to the radiator:

[highlight]Step 7[/highlight] - Remove the 2 bolts on either side, that hold the power steering cooling pipes in front of the fans (I forgot to take pictures of this bit)

[highlight]Step 8[/highlight] - Push the radiator forward and the power steering pipes back, and lift the fan unit up and out:

I took this oppertunity to replace the clean the radiator of crap that had accumilated, and to get rid of leaves etc.

All back together, and with a new front grill that isnt broken, happy days :)

Last edited:
OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Can a mod move to the DIY section please :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Please ask a mod to put it in the DIY section or it will get lost

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Done.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom