how to remove the drive belt tensioner damper ??

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 W202 C230 Kompressor
Hi Guys,

I want to replace the Drivebelt Tensioner Damper but there is very limited space to remove the bottom screw on the Damper. While for the top one, it is a piece of cake and I am having no problem there LOL !!!!

Any instruction of how to do that ?? Is taking off the Drivebelt Tensioner is the only way to take the bottom screw off from the Tensioner Damper ??

Yes, my car is a 1997 C230 Kompressor !

Thanks for any input

Bernard

Ellsy Tanners

Reaction score
In the centre of the pulley on the tensioner there is a black cap, pop this off and then undo the 15mm nut which holds the pulley onto the tensioner. then you will get access to the damper bolt. oh and you need to remove the belt first.

OP
B

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Ellsy !

I remember that when I replaced the belt, I used 15mm socket to turn the pulley anti - clockwise, and to remove the nut on the pulley from the tensioner's housing is turning anti - clockwise too ??

Anything I have to watch out while removing the Tensioner Pulley ??

Thanks

Bernard

Legoman

Reaction score
aye your knuckles on stuff nearby :) , nothing worse than losing your skin to metal

Ellsy Tanners

Reaction score
Hello, it will undo anti clock wise when it reachs its stop, or if you hold the end of the spindal, its a torx.
as legoman mind your fingers as if will crack of and move quickly!!!

OP
B

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks legoman & Ellsy Tanners for your advises !

Bernard

OP
B

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Loosen up the drive belt, unscrew the 15mm special screw with torx head then take off the pulley, unscrew the top screw on the damper, then unscrew the bottom one but heard something drop in the back. Wow, I lost the nut on the bottom screw ! Try to find it but couldn;t, it must be drop on some parts of the car and I really hope that it is not on any moving parts at all !

Put everything back on without the Nut and have to go and get the nut then do the whole exercise all over again !

So, for anyone that wish to replace the tensioner damper, please hold on to the back of the nut when you are unscrewing the bottom screw !!

Bernard

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
nice info, were you working on the belt tensioner to fix an annoying noise with the engine while idling or something else ?

OP
B

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi anyweb, well, actually the shop do my oil change suggest me to do so. After I changed the Tensioner Damper, I do feel that the engine is a bit quiet now !

Hi Ellsy Tanners, not true in my model, 1997 C230 Kompressor, it is half threaded then have a fit in slot for a nut in the back, please refer to the photo.

Well, anyway, check your new damper and if there is a slot for a nut, be careful when you unscrew it, prepare to hold on to the nut !!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom