How Toxic is your car's exhaust?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I was about to post the same article.
What isn't considered, and to my mind should be, is the massive detrimental effect of the production of the new cars the 'initiatives' encourage.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Yes, I spotted that as well, good article even though he could have said it all in half the words so you may need to skim through some bits!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I was about to post the same article.
What isn't considered, and to my mind should be, is the massive detrimental effect of the production of the new cars the 'initiatives' encourage.

Well. I have some interesting data in front of me. I won’t bore with the details except this:

“Current environmental impact of modern motor vehicles: 17% of total lifetime environmental impact (atmospheric, noise & heat pollution) and 7% of total lifetime energy usage is tied up in the manufacturing & assembly processes”.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Well. I have some interesting data in front of me. I won’t bore with the details except this:

“Current environmental impact of modern motor vehicles: 17% of total lifetime environmental impact (atmospheric, noise & heat pollution) and 7% of total lifetime energy usage is tied up in the manufacturing & assembly processes”.
I've seen figures around double that.

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
And the viable option to the internal combustion engine is??????

Given today's communications technology, why do so many people need to live in cities, or commute into their offices every day? Do we really need to be crammed into offices?

Let's look at why we need to transport people, regardless of how it's powered.

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Electric cars would move potential pollution to the generator site, and if we pulled our fingers out and cracked on with wind and wave we would lower that total pollution.

And if we could figure out an easy way to get hydrogen that would be even better.

The tinfoil hat part of me thinks the oil companies already have the tech but won't release it til oil gets too expensive.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Electric cars would move potential pollution to the generator site, and if we pulled our fingers out and cracked on with wind and wave we would lower that total pollution.

And if we could figure out an easy way to get hydrogen that would be even better.

The tinfoil hat part of me thinks the oil companies already have the tech but won't release it til oil gets too expensive.

Oil companies don’t develop auto technology. They are experts in finding, mining, distributing and refining petroleum...

Carmakers and tier 1s develop auto technology. We already have fuel cells under development or in prototype service; we know where EV tech is going.

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I'm sure they have a long-term plan for what happens when oil is no longer viable.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
But what about the devastation done to the environment mining for the materials used for batteries in electric/hybrid vehicles?

There is no easy one size answer. And I certainly don't have the answer, but it appears much energy is wasted in production of new cars, when refurbishment should be seen as as effective way?

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
But what about the devastation done to the environment mining for the materials used for batteries in electric/hybrid vehicles?

There is no easy one size answer. And I certainly don't have the answer, but it appears much energy is wasted in production of new cars, when refurbishment should be seen as as effective way?

Funny how every environmental argument comes down to having to "buy" something and not do what is really green which is to reduce buying things and using them. Eating meat is by far more damaging to the environment (51% of all CO2 production) and all vital resources but no-one talks about reducing that because it doesn't fit an agenda.

You just can't talk sense or numbers with people. I'm told by those at work (at a car manufacturer) my old diesel must release lots of CO2 and this and that. Well I'm sure it isn't great particulate wise with no catalyst but as it averages over 50mpg compared to their new 40mpg diesel I'm pretty sure it will emit less CO2 too in the real world.

Of course they just want an excuse to justify throwing a fifth of their income away every month on their shiny new motor, and that's fine, I just want an excuse to spend as little as possible on comfortable old school motoring i suppose...but all this one is greener than the other nonsense is just a result of brainwashing.

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Sport (2009MY)
I'm sure they have a long-term plan for what happens when oil is no longer viable.

We are seeing big oil company names getting into wind energy already, especially in the USA and Europe.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Someone first needs to provide proof that elevated levels of CO2 cause environmental harm first. The scientific data I have seen point to methane and water vapour having significantly more effect. But I don’t see anyone harking on about cow farts.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom