I now own my first Merc

John Fletcher

Reaction score
Website
www.vbr-turbinepartners.com
Your Mercedes
E350 Estate
Well, picked up the E350 on Saturday and very pleased with it. A couple of things I miss such as memory seats, keyless entry/start/stop and reverse camera but hopefully I can live without them.

However, I am thinking of having the reverse camera retrofitted - just depends if the wife pressures me or not :)

Overall I am impressed , especially the power it can put down. I love the drop down tow bar with electrics built in to the bar itself - looking forward to hooking the caravan up and seeing how she handles it.

Traction in the icy roads this morning wasn't as bad as I expected - not driven a rear wheel drive car since owning a Lexus IS220d a few years ago so was a bit anxious but didn't need to worry as handled fine.

So, I am hoping I can put up with a couple of things the Lexus didn't have and the Hyundai has - by the way, if anyone pulls their nose up at the new Hyundai's I recommend going for a test drive and seeing what you are missing out on - of course the base models are not exciting but I have the new Ioniq Hybrid and the gadgets that has is outstanding!

Anyway, here's to trouble free Merc ownership and no doubt will be on the forum for the foreseeable future....

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi John, welcome to the forum, I can't even say Hyundai, it won't come out of my mouth so I will give it a miss if you don't mind :rolleyes::):)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Great you have the car now John- enjoy!
Retrofitting the reverse camera is possible of course, if you were nearer I’d suggest Comandonline who really know their stuff, but unless you want a mini break to leafy Surrey.....
I’m a bit surprised at least the drivers seat has no memory?
The lack of keyless might be a blessing in disguise these days!
And I think you are right on the Hyundai, we tested a Santa Fe before eventually purchasing our XC90, opting only for the Volvo due primarily to the ease of entry into the 3rd row seats. Otherwise the Santa Fe was extremely accomplished and well equipped. Given the number of newer and old Hyundai’s around it seems they are built well...

OP
John Fletcher

John Fletcher

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
E350 Estate
Hi John, welcome to the forum, I can't even say Hyundai, it won't come out of my mouth so I will give it a miss if you don't mind :rolleyes::):)

LOL. I was same mate - but I only paid 22k and has:

No road tax
60 mpg
keyless entry
keyless start/stop
lane departure warning
blind spot warning
full leather
heated seats front & back
heated steering wheel
cooling seats on front
distance control
reverse camera
parking beepers
auto dip rear view and exterior mirrors
cruise
speed limiter
memory driver seat
very comfortable
very roomy
great size boot

I have missed things I know as it has everything and more than the MB...obviously not as prestige and as quick but I still got done for speeding in it...as I have the MB now :-( :)

OP
John Fletcher

John Fletcher

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
E350 Estate
Hyundai registrations totalled 88,377 in 2017 (mercedes was 170543).
https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/

Yeah I know and wouldn't expect anything different lol - just making the point that Hyundai's this day and age are really good value for money but of course will never be in the same league as a MB

However, Hyundai have just employed lead designer of BMW who has created a very hot hatch comparable with Ford RS etc so the Koreans are on a roll...

Top Bottom