I think I got a great 2005 E320 CDI...

Tucson320CDI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 E320 CDI
Think I'll need a new glow plug or the controller. Maybe I'll just replace all 6 plugs to bring it up to snuff.. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I know there's a special kind of grease or lubricant I have to administer for several days before removing the plugs. Anyone know the name of the grease / lubricant?

Then, I also need to do something about shocks / struts. I think my right rear is shot. Sometimes when I get into the car or just when exiting, I hear a compressor going off for several seconds. Can anyone tell me how I can tell if the shocks are the air ride system or just conventional??

I have so much to learn!

Tucson320CDI

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
They are a sweet car, well done!
Certainly good idea to do the glow plugs too
WD40 will work fine , liberal soak and a hot/warm engine will help along with a plug removal tool if you can get your hands on one
Take your time and hopefully they’ll come out without breaking
Oh and if you can hear a hiss it means you have airmatic struts- the hiss is normal, I get it on mine, just the compressor nothing to worry about

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
If you have an estate then you get air suspension at the rear as standard, if you have a button towards the rear of the gearbox tunnel that has sport and comfort written on it then that will make it fill airmatic.
As John mentioned just any penetrating fluid like wd40 or ptfe will work well on glow plugs, I always used to get the engine up to temp turn it off and dose them with wd40 and let them sit for about 10 minutes, the block will stay hot for a while but should make it easy to one out
I wonder if the buzz you hear is the airmatic pump or if it's maybe theSBC pump running?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
WD40 is a water disperser ..... you need a proper penetrating fluid such as Plusgas to soak the glow plugs in. Be careful as they're easily sheared :eek::(

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I view WD40 like a multi tool. It does a variety of jobs, but none of them as well as the dedicated tool would.
It is, as EmilysDad said, a water dispersant, but it is also a lubricant and a penetrant. Useful in a toolkit for emergencies, but not as good as a dedicated product.

Last edited:

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Is it a v6.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I view WD40 like a multi tool. It does a variety of jobs, but none of them as well as the dedicated tool would.
It is, as EmilysDad said, a water dispersant (hence WD), but it is also a lubricant and a penetrant. Useful in a toolkit for emergencies, but not as good as a dedicated product.
War Department solution #40... designed for the Titan ICBM IIRC.

There’s a great video on YouTube showing transmission fluid equalling or beating all the main pen fluids on the market both for penetration and break-off torque.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
War Department solution #40... designed for the Titan ICBM IIRC.

There’s a great video on YouTube showing transmission fluid equalling or beating all the main pen fluids on the market both for penetration and break-off torque.
Mix it 50:50 with acetone and ATF is even better!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Mix it 50:50 with acetone and ATF is even better!

That checks out.
My son uses a Volvo penetrant at work, which he claims is miraculous at unseizing bolts. He says it's acetone based, but there is no spec on the cans.

Last edited:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Get the engine absolutely red hot before attempting to remove them. If you do it on anything other than that then you increase the risk of snapage by 90%.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
check out posts on swirl flaps / IPS (inlet port shut off) and EGR cleaning

and if you put in 6 glow plugs put in the relay / control module too.... later design looks quite different orig stuff is merc branded beru

OP
T

Tucson320CDI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 E320 CDI
I'm considering using Silikroil that one guy used in a YouTube video.

I'm also hearing that torque on extraction should not exceed 18nm to 20nm. Some in Germany have gone as high as 25nm. Anyone have experience to share?

The last thing I found out was that it's worth using the original spec grease for the glow plug shaft. Is this true? What have you used in the past?

OP
T

Tucson320CDI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 E320 CDI
Ohh get you with your silky smooth inline-ness! ;)

You're funny. Now that you say it that way, yes, it's the smoothest of the three Benz diesels I've owned and yes, it's smooth. I call it my lumbering race car! lol! Feels like a tank as you start out... punch it though, and it explodes with git up 'n go! Very nice engine. I want to bring all of the serviceable things on it up to snuff so that it will take me MANY more miles.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
:D:D
You're funny. Now that you say it that way, yes, it's the smoothest of the three Benz diesels I've owned and yes, it's smooth. I call it my lumbering race car! lol! Feels like a tank as you start out... punch it though, and it explodes with git up 'n go! Very nice engine. I want to bring all of the serviceable things on it up to snuff so that it will take me MANY more miles.
And you can do all of that without noticing the proles around you!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
On the lube front I’ve also used... diesel, yes I know wash my mouth out but it does work :eek:

Top Bottom