If you are Rich enough to afford a Merc, don't complain when it goes wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
RKWeiss said:
Most people -- even devoted MB lovers -- would probably not know what car they were riding in (as a passenger) if they were blind-folded and put in a car of equivalent size
Leading me to conclude that the difference between a Mondeo and an E-class are all about subtle things -- subtle differences in ride, noise, etc.

Sorry to come back in but it really isn't fair to think of the Mondeo as an average car. Virtually all reviewers have said how outstanding it is for the money. It is, in fact, the prime example of what I've been saying. Because of all Fords discounting, they find it hard to give away this truly excellent car BECAUSE eveyone knows the residuals are so awful!

And by the way, try and list cars of equivalent size to the E class. (The Mondeo is C class size) and of the S class. Ford and Vauxhall used to build big ones. But what happened was ...................................

RKWeiss

Reaction score
It's interesting that for most people a car is such a big deal, and to get a new one is a truly special experience that people only get to experience a few times in their lives...

..but for the manufacturers, they're just commodities. Just churn 'em out by the shipful -- all identical...yet each some poor sod's life dream.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
hawk20 said:
I worked near Rover at one time and knew people in it. They employed people to drive Rover 800's round the car park till they had twenty miles on them and then sent them to dealers and auctions. They had agreed with suppliers what the annual output of the 800 would be and come hell or high water (they both came) they were going to sell that number.
That's the critical part - you can't vary the production volumes on mass-produced cars as short notice. It's better from many financial points of view to use the manufacturing capacity to its maximum capacity.
Production orders are loaded maybe 6 months in advance - the spec, colour etc can be varied up until quite a short time before build but once that date is passed then the car gets built and it has to be sold (somehow).

OP
O
Reaction score
The other problem problem with a Mondeo of course is that no matter how good it is, it's still a Mondeo. Top Gear have proven this as they repeatedly say how good they think it is but that their viewers don't agree. It's a bit like having a Skoda Superb (although not quite as extreme). I'm sure it is a very good car, and you are effectively getting an Audi at a greatly reduced price but it still says "Skoda" on the front. With a Mondeo you will always have that "mondeo-man" company rep image (even if there are now more BMW's on the road than Mondeo's).

As a car it's fine. As a status symbol it is extremely lacking and, like it or not, a lot of people do buy cars based on their percieved status. Hell, most of us drive Mercs and based on reviews on this site it's not because they are value for money, reliable etc and yet we still buy 'em and a lot of us still love 'em.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Every time there has been a fuel crisis, the sale of larger cars falls for a short time, this has happened since the Suiz crisis, after a couple of months when people get used to paying the higher price, things get back to normal.

malcolm

Back in the seventies during a crisis, I used to buy and sell XJ6 cars and often had up to 10 in stock, the winges came around saying "no one wants these now" they all sold

Last edited:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
RKWeiss said:
It's interesting that for most people a car is such a big deal, and to get a new one is a truly special experience that people only get to experience a few times in their lives....
That is true. And though the new world of nearly new gives great bargains I do admit to missing that buzz like opening a Christmas present as a child.

Jensen

Reaction score
Indie A type service

Thought I would share this with you.

Just had my A service at my local indie cost excl VAT £73.00 to include oil/fuel and new whiper blade.
I'm happy with that, that seems fair enough.

Shame I needed new brake pads all 4 wheels cost excl VAT £80.00

Shambolic

Reaction score
Jensen said:

Just had my A service at my local indie cost excl VAT £73.00 to include oil/fuel and new whiper blade.

Thought Mobil 1 oil cost about 80 quid alone so how can the Indy do the service for that price!!!

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Jensen said:

Do they top you up with cold tea and creosote mixed?? The Mobil Synthetic oil, low ash, recommended by Mercedes for their latest diesels retails at £13 per litre and I need 8 pints.

I just had my S320cdi serviced, after 13,500 miles (A service) and the labour was only about £100. The rest was materials and Vat and for that £100 I get free MobiloLife throughout Europe and a thirty year rust guarantee. One of life's great bargains.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Here are the details: -

From Pentagon Mercedes in Southampton, Winchester, Chichester and Portsmouth.
Labour 1.2 hours at £85 per hour =£102.60p
Mobil 1 ESP 5w-39 Low Ash 8 litres @ £10.02 = £85.17p
Oil Filter £9-42p
Seal Ring £0-42p
Washer Concentrate £2-74p
Checking and advising one tyre near legal limit NO CHARGE

TOTAL BILL £200-35p
VAT 35-06p
TOTAL INC VAT £235-41p.

On Saturday I'm off to Europe, a driving holiday for 14 days. AA want over £9 per day for breakdown cover or £60 odd per trip or over £100 per year for annual cover. That alone equals the labour cost in my annual service on an S class! On top of that they want £150 odd pounds for joint cover man and wife for breakdown cover in the UK to something like Merc standards (but no guarantee that they'll tow you to a Merc dealer as far as I could see in a brief look over the policy. (could be wrong on this. Love to know if someone has full details). No wonder I think Merc services are a bargain.

I know the B service is more. Typically on the diesel S class it is about 2 hours labour. Normal private mileage is 10/12k miles per annum. One service per year is all such a person needs. Small beer in the total order of things. And good value. IMO.

Then I look at all the equipment my Merc dealer has. The latest is a huge machine; cost mega bucks. You drive the car onto it and sit inside with an engineer. The machine shakes, twists turns and does everything to find any squeaks or rattles you may have. Charge for using the new machine: - £85 per hour for labour and no charge for the equipment. That's the funny system they use. The labour looks dear, but behind it is a wealth of kit and overheads enough to make your eyes water.

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
i don't have the energy to join in.

closing the thread to prevent repeated personnal attacks.

opinions are okay but not personal opinions of other members. If you are clearly a buffoon you will either know it yourself and prove it during your conversations and if you are not aware you are a buffoon you will be ignored!

that way we can all live together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom