Ignition Tumbler Romoval C250d

colind

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have decided to renew the ignition tumbler as it has jammed up a few times and become a bit of a nuisance, its obviously on its way out.

Go a new one from local stealer and sifted through old threads to get the proceedure for removal. I thought no probs after reading the info on the subject as it is heavily documented on here.

Managed to remove trim ring from dash no probs expecting to see some kind of slots or holes to insert wire in to to release barrel but cant see anywhere, no holes or slots just a black metal cover that covers the tumbler and cant figure how the dam thing comes off to release the tumbler it moves a bit side to side but thats it.

Forgive me if i am being obtuse but i really cant see any holes or slots i have moved the key through all the positions but still cannot see how to remove the black cover.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

colin

OP
C

colind

Reaction score
Easy As That !!

Thanks a lot for that little vid Malcolm, seems i was barking completely up the wrong tree once again, looking for little holes to poke wire at.

Dont suppose anyone knows where i could beg, borrow or steal one of those "special tools" from or is it possible to make one up from a bit of tube and a large socket maybe ?

I am determined not to be fleeced again by local MB dealer i have a phobia of walking in the place as they smile nicely at me and offer tea and coffee, i can see £££ signs in their eyes and feel my wallet emptying.

Thanks again Malcolm for the great video !!

colin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Early cars do not have the DAS ring that was prised out at the start.

I wonder what would happen if you drove to MB and asked to borrow the tool, as the vid it only takes 2 mins

OP
C

colind

Reaction score
Good Idea !

HI Malcolm,
I may just give that a try, may be they could charge me by the miniute for the use of it LOL.
I think it may be more than their jobs worth to lend me this highly technical piece of their kit :roll: but you dont know untill you ask !

colin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Some dealers are very good and getting better, good luck :D

stevesey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 Sport 98
Sticking locks are normally due to worn levers. Vauxhalls with the flat edged keys have a habit of going at about 110K - previously I have repaired two of mine and a friends at around this mileage.

Once removed from the car you can see which levers are causing problems (sitting slightly proud). VX levers are numbered 0-9 and often they have worn so much you can swap them around (i.e. stick a worn 7 in the place of a 6, move the 6 to 5 and so on). If you have some spares (from an old lock) you can often get back to a perfect fit by trial and error (or with a bit of filing). Alternatively you just miss a lever out when re-assembling the lock (last time I did this I only put 8 back not all 10, the other two times I manged all 10).

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
The tool is a piece of 1.8mm hard steel wire, U shaped with a flat taper pointing outwards about 5mm long at each prong, the tool is to pull the latch into the barrel and thus release it, however the tool also releases the covering cap after you have released the barrel. There is one catch on the lock and two (one each side) on the cover.
I have given greater detail in previous reply to this question, the first time I attempted the task it was very tricky since I did not know of the two clip systems that the tool releases. Have a look at prvious posts.
Once the barrel will move a little in and out the tool must push in another 4-5mm to release the cover, if this does not happen you will struggle all day and want to give it up as a bad job.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom