Im new and from calif. in need of help!

foreveryoung

Reaction score
Marin Co. North of San Francisco, Calif. USA
Hi all, I just purchased a 1991 300 sl. Im wondering if i MADE a BIG mistake. But to late for that train of thought. I was told i may have oil in my antifreeze, blown head gasket? I'm wondering if anyone knows shop hours to fix that prob and if it's an EZ job to take on by myself. I have ok mechanical skills. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Larry

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If it is only slight there are some sealers on the market many say that they have got 12 months with no problems, worth a try at around £15 a tin

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Quite a few of the older cars produce mayonnaise in the header tank cap although the head gasket is still quite serviceable

As the car is new to you I'd clean the header tank, hoses and rad very carefully and then watch to see if signs of oil return. If they do, delve a little deeper

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
F

foreveryoung

Reaction score
Marin Co. North of San Francisco, Calif. USA
Nick,
I have no condensation out of tailpipe, the oil seems to be just a bit.I have no external leaks. I have done nothing as of yet and have not been driving the car much at all. I'll flush the cooling system, but what do you mean by header tank, The cooling reservoir?
The car run so well i seem to doubt it's the head gasket, but then im not a certified mechanic! Thanks for the input.
Bruce

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom