Importing a used SLK from Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Yaxley

Reaction score
While it's a couple of months yet before I will be buying a 230SLK I was looking at a car site in Germany and the price of used cars seems much much lower. If I were to consider importing a 1999 car please can anyone advise me what taxes I would need to pay and if I would be able to reclaim any paid to the German dealer?

Also I would be interested to hear if it is more expensive to get a LHD car serviced and if the dealers tend to treat you any differently.

I guess the insurance will also be a bit higher.

I would also be grateful if there are any other things to watch like a much lower specification.

Thanks

All the best

Regards

Peter Yaxley

Guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 Estate 2010 Brabus D6 350CDI
Peter,

Try reading this -

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/notices/728.htm

which deals with imports of new cars - and mentions at 1.3 the position if what you are importing is NOT an NMT, ie new means of transport.

You may conclude the wisest thing is to contact your local VAT office so that you can be sure of the position.

Regards,

Guy.

OP
P

Peter Yaxley

Reaction score
Guy,

Thank you for this information it was most helpful. I contacted the VAT office help line and they confirmed that provided the vehicle is over 6 months old and has completed more than 6,000 kms no tax is due in the UK.

My next question to you or anyone else relates to getting a German car through a MOT. I guess the head lamps will need to be changed to shine the right way and I have heard that the Speedometer needs to be changed from a km one to a mph one. Is this true and is there anything else that needs to be changed?

Thanks

All the best

Regards

Peter

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Hi Peter,

The main thing that will need to be changed is the headlamps. Contary to popular belief. Changing just the headlamp glass is not enough. The reflectors are actually different as well. So a pair of head lamps I think really is the least you will have to replace. Speedo is not a problem as far as I am aware.

I doubt they would consider it mittegating circumstances if caught by the police for speeding and you tell them you didn't know what the speed was!!!! Maybe put some stickers on the speedo where the relavent speeds should be. Just a thought if money is an issue.

Regards
Andy@www.mercedesservicing.com

OP
P

Peter Yaxley

Reaction score
Andy, Guy,

Thank you for your helpful replies. I have really got the bug to get a LHD car now, especially for foreign touring, so you advice has been most useful.

Regards

Peter

S A Smith

Reaction score
Hi,

The speedo will be a problem.  It must read in MPH as well as KMPH, some continental cars don't do this.  It doesn't matter if the 'milage' is in miles though, it can still read in kilometers.  Therefore getting the dials recalibrated need not be as expensive as all that.  Replacement dial faces can be bought.  These can be got/ordered from any good car spares/accessory shop since boy racers often replace their dials with fancy coloured ones.

If Merc dealerships are anything like the Jap ones they won't touch your car when it comes to servicing.  As far as I can tell this just down to spite!  However other garages are identifying the growing market for imports and will service your car and will most likely cost less then a main dealer would charge for a british spec vehicle.

Don't let anyone fob you off about Brit spec and European spec cars using wildly different parts.  This is just bollocks!  In the majority of cases the cars are built on the same assembley line.  Using vastly different parts would cost Mercedes a fortune and would quickly make them uncompettitive.

Hope this is of use,

Steve

Anonymous

Reaction score
I think the MB German-market speedo's are also calibrated in MPH (in a small font).
You are correct that used cars are much cheaper over there - parts are a lot cheaper also, so stock-up on service items whilst you're there.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom