In the market for:

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
an SUV, new or nearly new under 10k miles.
Ive looked at many...Skoda, Kia, Ford Kuga and now Merc GLC.
Of them all I like the Kuga and GLC equally.
Ive been a Merc owner for 15+years some good and some really bad as are the dealers.
Ive used them for both business and pleasure purposes.
Does any one own a GLC as want know what they are like to drive and live with.
I have retired now so for pleasure only. I will keep my SL as long as I can still get in it.
I suffer with osteo arthritus in the hips and knees and found that the Kuga and GLC was easy to get into and very comfortable.
I was unable to drive the GLC today as just had a retinal screen procedure done this am and not fit to drive.
Any experiences of the GLC good or bad.
If I opt for the GLC it will be the 2.2 diesel.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Check out the crabbing issues with the GLC. I'm not sure if Mercedes has done anything about rectifying the suspension geometry that was causing lots of problems, particularly with large wheels and low profile tyres.

OP
Quick Silver

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
My my thats bad, thats put me off completely. Lucky I asked the forum as I couldnt drive it today due to having an eye procedure done today.
The kuga I believe uses the land rover 4 wheel drive system and has 17" wheels. I had a good test drive in that and nothing apparant showed up in that as did the Kia sportage.

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
I understand your position,thought We would keep our sl for ever but have a job getting in and out. So it may have to go next year. But do you need a 4x4.

OP
Quick Silver

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
I understand your position,thought We would keep our sl for ever but have a job getting in and out. So it may have to go next year. But do you need a 4x4.
I dont particularly need a 4×4 but the ford and kia and merc 2.0 litre diesels are 4x4.
We are known to have a stinker of a winter every so often in this part of the world (lake effect snow from europe across the southern north sea)

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I believe that you can get two wheel drive versions of the Ford but haven't checked which engines they have. A 4x4 is overkill for most of our roads unless you are in Scotland. A 2x2 on winter tyres would be perfectly adequate without the extra cost and problems of running a 4x4. I put Michelin Cross Climate tyres on my E320 and they worked very well in the few days of snow we had earlier this year.

OP
Quick Silver

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
The 2 wheel drive fords and kia are all petrol engines of various sizes and 1.7 diesels.
A 2 litre diesel is a good useful size with plenty of useful torque particularly for mid range acceleration.
The 2 litre diesels are smoother and quieter and much less stressed.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Diesels may suffer greater depreciation in future if the govt pass greater legislation against them as has been mooted recently.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
If you don't need a 4x4 I would think a B Class or say a Ford C Max are easier to get into as the floor is lower but not the seat.

OP
Quick Silver

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Diesels may suffer greater depreciation in future if the govt pass greater legislation against them as has been mooted recently.
This would be the last car I will probably ever buy so not unduly worried and can also see diesel prices dropping as everybody switches to alternative fuels, its already cheaper than petrol round here.
You cant produce petrol without making diesel.

OP
Quick Silver

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Im genuinely shocked at the problems with the GLC and MB's shameful disregard of the problem.
Its a shame as I really did like that model. Perhaps thats why I've never seen any about and yesterday was the first time Id actually seen one.
The kuga just keeps on ticking all the boxes for me.
The Kias problem is its Korean and spares availability it is a nice car that drove ok.

Sylar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2006/180k
Im genuinely shocked at the problems with the GLC and MB's shameful disregard of the problem.
Its a shame as I really did like that model. Perhaps thats why I've never seen any about and yesterday was the first time Id actually seen one.
The kuga just keeps on ticking all the boxes for me.
The Kias problem is its Korean and spares availability it is a nice car that drove ok.
I brought a little kia picanto for my wife to shoot about in 2 years ago. Customer service has been top class in my experience, parts are plentiful and cheap, 7 years warranty too. I never thought id say this but kia make good cars with great back up from the dealer.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
My father has bought a BMW X1 2.0 petrol (Twin Turbo) M Sport, very impressive car and the best specced pound for pound out there.

He got 9% discount without even asking, added leather, memory seats (part of a pack), privacy glass and had the normal suspension (NCO).

It is a surprisingly spacious car and the rear seats slide forward and back so you can increase boot space, drives and rides well on 18" wheels

OP
Quick Silver

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom