Inlet manifold on Ml270cdi

dav65uk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270cdi 2003
Hi all I have a Ml270cdi that needs a new inlet manifold and also a little injector seal replacing
Can anyone recommend a independent garage in the Bedfordshire or surrounding areas
Also a rough idea on what I will expect to pay
Cheers in advance
Dave

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Not sure on Bedfordshire as such but you’ve Wayne Gates and Welwyn Merx not too far away?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Injector seal should be no more than 30 minutes labour, as long as its not all covered in "black death" and the injector comes out easily.

Inlet manifold replacement is a few hours, and the manifold itself is around £300 aftermarket, or more if MB genuine so I would say around £500 all in, roughly.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Injector seal should be no more than 30 minutes labour, as long as its not all covered in "black death" and the injector comes out easily.

Inlet manifold replacement is a few hours, and the manifold itself is around £300 aftermarket, or more if MB genuine so I would say around £500 all in, roughly.

I would snap Alex hand off at that quote. Whats your labour rate and are you VAT registered?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I was quoted £700 to replace the inlet manifold on my W203 C220CDi

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would snap Alex hand off at that quote. Whats your labour rate and are you VAT registered?

We have to start somewhere, so being competitive and competent helps.

I tend to look up ASRA hours then make a judgement on that. We charge £75 ph, and am not vat registered (I intend to stay not registered for as long as possible, as it makes us 20% more expensive to non business customers, as you know!) The only issue is most warranty companies wont touch us as a result.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I will say I need the VIN to give an accurate quote :) (just in case I regret that post :p )

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
We have to start somewhere, so being competitive and competent helps.

I tend to look up ASRA hours then make a judgement on that. We charge £75 ph, and am not vat registered (I intend to stay not registered for as long as possible, as it makes us 20% more expensive to non business customers, as you know!) The only issue is most warranty companies wont touch us as a result.

I did the same, and then you realise that as a business, not being VAT registered actually stymies your bottom line and as you are finding out, it limits your market to just private retail. You can't do warranty, fleet or insurance repairs. Not only that, the things that you can reclaim VAT on makes you money also.

People get violently scared of being VAT registered, but I don't know why, its relatively simple to operate, especially if you have a good accountant. Looking back to when I started in 2009, I should have gone VAT registered from the beginning.

Fair play to you though.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did the same, and then you realise that as a business, not being VAT registered actually stymies your bottom line and as you are finding out, it limits your market to just private retail. You can't do warranty, fleet or insurance repairs. Not only that, the things that you can reclaim VAT on makes you money also.

People get violently scared of being VAT registered, but I don't know why, its relatively simple to operate, especially if you have a good accountant. Looking back to when I started in 2009, I should have gone VAT registered from the beginning.

Fair play to you though.

Thanks. I have a few other businesses that are vat registered, so certain products/consumables etc that cross over get purchased by that company then sold to AMF automotive.

If I feel that many people are asking us for warranty work etc, I will register. As you say its not too hard and with up to date accounting software, filing and paying is straight forward. It has pros and cons as you say, but I feel at the moment the cons outweigh the pros. I'm sure that will change over the next few months.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Thanks. I have a few other businesses that are vat registered, so certain products/consumables etc that cross over get purchased by that company then sold to AMF automotive.

If I feel that many people are asking us for warranty work etc, I will register. As you say its not too hard and with up to date accounting software, filing and paying is straight forward. It has pros and cons as you say, but I feel at the moment the cons outweigh the pros. I'm sure that will change over the next few months.

Its when you get 3 or 4 high ticket parts that take you through the threshold that it can cause the problem, for very little profit too. I found I was juggling the end of the months to make sure I came under, it became more of a stress than just being registered!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its when you get 3 or 4 high ticket parts that take you through the threshold that it can cause the problem, for very little profit too. I found I was juggling the end of the months to make sure I came under, it became more of a stress than just being registered!

Absolutely, I welcome hitting the threshold, as it makes the decision for me!! :)

With the other businesses, we registered straight away, as its lots of hardware supply and mainly B2B so was an easy choice.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Thanks, I have PMed you (I have removed your vin for security).

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom