Insurance Company Logic - Go Figure

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Lol! I wouldn't say 300 odd is that bad for you?

Sent from a mobile device

it is when dad was paying under £200 and he's only 20 years older!

i got a quote for an E55 for the hell of it a couple of years back. £950!!!!

i didnt bother buying the car!

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
Im with Admiral multicar. Just had my renewal and tried to get another quote online to see if it would be better. Its often the case that the renewal is higher than a new quote

In this case the online system recognised me as an existing customer and wouldnt let me continue, just referring me to an advisor. Even when I tried another name it seems to recognise the car/ address etc and wont continue....mmmmmm:rolleyes:

They seem to have something to hide!!:cool:

Aviva is cheaper anyway:lol:

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Hmm lucky you getting it that much cheaper, just done mine, could have saved money with a broker, but need a bit better cover, so did aviva online and then got them to match their price. Saved about £80... It's still £680. But that's 40k miles a year biz use and euro...oh and I'm now 40 :(

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
When dealing with car insurance companies start with the idea that they are thieves and vagabonds and you won't go far wrong.;)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When dealing with car insurance companies start with the idea that they are thieves and vagabonds and you won't go far wrong.;)

ive had that idea all my life. ive yet to be proved wrong!

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
£390 for my 320 CLK, not garaged, parked on drive in SE London Chris Knott Insurance.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
£390 for my 320 CLK, not garaged, parked on drive in SE London Chris Knott Insurance.

exactly. i really dont see how mine is so expensive! its a diesel saloon, NOT a sporty petrol cabrio!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have gone with Ladbrokes and cut out the middle man :lol:

epervier

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 coupe 1996 Sl500 1998
I have gone with Ladbrokes and cut out the middle man :lol:

But isn't that the principal of insurance?

you place your bet, the insurance payout if you crash, they keep the bet if you don't.

Your bet level is based on a number of criteria, post code, age, form, who's the jockey :D

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
OK I retract "thieves and vagabonds" - how about dodgy bookmakers!;)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But isn't that the principal of insurance?

you place your bet, the insurance payout if you crash, they keep the bet if you don't.

Your bet level is based on a number of criteria, post code, age, form, who's the jockey :D

the point is, by going to Ladbrokes etc, then YOU CHOOSE how much you want to gamble, based on what you can afford. imagine if you were to put a bet on the Grand National, and because you lived in a rented house with a car, a dog, 2 kids, and were aged 40, you would have to bet a minimum £600 per horse, meanwhile the retired guy who lives next door, no car, no kids, bought house etc, only had to bet a minimum £50? hardly the fairest system ever, is it?

Ladbrokes dont do it, why should insurers? after all, you get a refund if your horse doesnt run in the race, so surely if you dont have an At Fault accident, it is like having a Non Running Horse, but for the insurance industry?

epervier

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 coupe 1996 Sl500 1998
the point is, by going to Ladbrokes etc, then YOU CHOOSE how much you want to gamble, based on what you can afford. imagine if you were to put a bet on the Grand National, and because you lived in a rented house with a car, a dog, 2 kids, and were aged 40, you would have to bet a minimum £600 per horse, meanwhile the retired guy who lives next door, no car, no kids, bought house etc, only had to bet a minimum £50? hardly the fairest system ever, is it?

Ladbrokes dont do it, why should insurers? after all, you get a refund if your horse doesnt run in the race, so surely if you dont have an At Fault accident, it is like having a Non Running Horse, but for the insurance industry?

Who says the insurance industry is fair?

vehicle insurance is a great money spinner for them, you pay ££££'s for your new/new to you car, you smash it,someone else mashes into you, the insurance assessor comes to look at your car and then reports back to headquarters, they then offer you bottom book value which always seems to be a lot less than you paid for it.

A great deal of home insurance offer new for old, why can't the vehicle division do similar, or at least offer the value of a replacement vehicle, like for like.

I don't expect to write off a Morris Minor and get a SLS as a replacement.

I've yet to find insurance that covers just the legal requirement, the industry have out priced TP/TPF&T to a point where comprehensive is now the standard and on the face of it their cheaper option, add to the mix, they also avoid TP cover to drive someone else's car, vans in a category of their own, you can go on and on but I feel sure you get the point,.............

That point being, when talking to vehicle insurers about the cost, always keep a 250cl jar of Vaseline near by, to make the shafting you're about to get, more comfortable.:D

Top Bottom