1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intelligent light system inoperative

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by Rams, May 17, 2017.

1. Jim Roberts

Jim Roberts New Registration

Your Mercedes:
    CLS63S
    54EEA147-B5BF-45B9-9D56-44ACF1B857E1.jpeg 7B2F34BE-8C6B-470B-98B5-63C4C770BCDC.jpeg Hi Guys,
    I had the same issue as the subject thread and have resolved it but not 100% sure what did it!
    I started the car this morning and got the same message. Did the usual switch off and on again, no difference.
    Went to the vehicle menu in the Centre of the instrument cluster where the message was displayed and tried to switch the ILS off and on again with the vehicle running, still no luck. Turned off, locked and unlocked the car, then went to the vehicle lights settings, switched the ILS off and then on again and the problem resolved. Note that this time the vehicle was NOT running.
    The other thing I did (but I’m sure is irrelevant) was to adjust the bonnet (or hood if your American) rubber stops at the front of the car. When I polished the engine bay (because I’m sad and have no life) the rubber adjusters at the front must of moved and I could see with the bonnet closed one side was slightly higher than the other. As I say this may be completely irrelevant, however I’m not sure if there is a sensor or anything that would prevent the system from operating correctly, perhaps getting too much light? It’s not logical and far more likely to be the switch off and on again that did the trick. But sometimes the least likely option could be the one. Perhaps even the closing of the bonnet jolted something into action again???!!!

2. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
    How frosted up was your windscreen this morning?

3. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 E63 ///AMG V8 Biturbo Volvo XC90 2018
    Welcome Jim, it’s a Mercedes we don’t expect logical! Nice car we need pics...but I couldn’t help but notice you have a green ‘C’ in your display- please explain it’s function to me, I have no earthly idea..:p

4. John Laidlaw

Your Mercedes:
    I get you, if it was frosty white it may switch off being fooled into thinking it was light? That what you mean?

5. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    Wife Mode John......

6. John Laidlaw

Your Mercedes:
    Aaaah, that explains it!

7. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    The ILS is controlled by a very-high-speed camera mounted behind the interior mirror trim. if that camera cannot see properly through its full field of vision it will shut the system down until it can see properly. When this happened to me late last year, I was ten minutes down the road until the engine had warmed up enough to get enough warm air on the windscreen to defrost it up at the top.

What you describe would affect the rainlight sensor which is why the advice is to turn off auto wipers when shutting down the car, to prevent them sweeping over a frozen windscreen (or trying to sweep when frozen to the windscreen).

John Laidlaw likes this.