Interior colour confusion, help please.

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I have the usual issue with the colour having worn on the bolster of the drivers seat of my SL350 which is listed with 201A Leather black/anthracite. So the dash and steering wheel are black (although the dash is just faux leather finish) and the seats are dark grey which I assume is the anthracite.
So I ordered a leather balm from a company on ebay, who I bought a black balm from when I had my S4 which was fine, but for the life of me it looks more like very dark blue than grey.
So can anybody tell me if this is simply because I'm looking at it in concentrated from in the jar and it's an optical illusion? I don't really want to test it anywhere as the interior is so small there's not really anywhere that can't be seen.
Failing that does anybody know the actual code for the anthracite as when I type in 201A I only seem to get black coming up?
As usual any help from the more knowledgeable amongst the forum is appreciated. :)

amustali

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 ml320 cdi, iridium silver
Im sure once John sees it he will be able to get you the datasheet which will contain interior colour, upon you providing the vin, so i suggest you post it and wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Well when I was given some left over paint for my silver r129 that was blue....
Take a small amount and paint it on some card and see what colour it dries to.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Im sure once John sees it he will be able to get you the datasheet which will contain interior colour, upon you providing the vin, so i suggest you post it and wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I put my VIN in the VIN Decoder and that's what it comes up with. 201A black/anthracite, this is the colour, it's definitely not light grey, the VIN is WDB2304672F054436 - Interior from left side.JPG Interior from left side.JPG Interior left side deflector up.JPG

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Well when I was given some left over paint for my silver r129 that was blue....
Take a small amount and paint it on some card and see what colour it dries to.
It's a cream rather than a paint, I've put some on a clean piece of white kitchen roll to see what it dries up like but perhaps I need to find something different to try it on as it still looks darker if not quite so blue?

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Certainly your Vin does agree 201A.
I’d do what LK suggests first but if it’s no clearer maybe try
https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Colour_Chart?Mercedes
As far as I can see your seats are grey which probably does indeed look more blue in concentrated form

Thanks John, I had looked on their site already and from where I'm looking I would say my seats are closer to the Graphite grey they list. Although the VIN decoder says Anthracite that looks a little too dark, I've even spoken to my local dealer and they can't throw any further light on it.
I put a very small bit of what they sent me on my seat and it definitely dried up up blue not grey. :(

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks John, I had looked on their site already and from where I'm looking I would say my seats are closer to the Graphite grey they list. Although the VIN decoder says Anthracite that looks a little too dark, I've even spoken to my local dealer and they can't throw any further light on it.
I put a very small bit of what they sent me on my seat and it definitely dried up up blue not grey. :(
I also thought graphite grey. Wonder if the seats were swapped out at some time?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
That looks the same as our 230... Definitely grey.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Get a bigger pot of the balm and do the lot? :confused::confused:

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
I've been in this exact position this week only didn't get around to asking the question. No way could this shade of grey br described as anthracite or black. Graphite would be a fair description.

Attachments

• IMG_20180921_234059_270.jpg
    IMG_20180921_234059_270.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 15

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom