Intro + question

OP
M

MJA 1970

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
I have a 2003 SL500
Before it stopped working I would shut the boot and the last 1/4" would shut its self or pull down if you like.
The last bit has stopped pulling down and I have to slam to shut know.

Hope that makes sence

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ah yes, makes sense now!
It's the soft close function you mean I think which is operated by the PSE pump. It's likely there is a leak in the system somewhere. Once you start slamming it more then it will gradually get worse unfortunately.
Are you using an Indy with a Star diagnostic? That would be the way to narrow it down. A temporary fix would be to disconnect the consumer battery and reconnect, that can sometimes help to clear a glitch but again something not to do too often as the pump will eventually fail.
Hope that helps a bit....

OP
M

MJA 1970

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
The catch still powers out when you open the boot if that makes any sense.
Do I need to go to the garage and get the car plugged in?
Is it likely to be a leak near the catch or could it be anywhere?
cheers

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yeah it needs plugged in to the code reader which should hopefully highlight where the leak is. I've not done it specifically for PSE pump leak but I'm guessing that's how it works. The leak could be anywhere unfortunately, I don't think it has to be near the catch.
And yes, I understand what you mean by it powering out. Means the pump is OK which is good
You may want to think about investing in an icarsoft MB2 code reader for your car, SL's are notoriously fickle and it just gives you a 'starting point' when you get stuff like this. I have the previous generation i980 code reader I got when I had my SL which saved me some grief at least and helped greatly when I was discussing with my Indy on what to tackle next....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
A common problem is the the trunk assist will randomly stop working one day, and you won't know why. You can unhook the convenience battery and reconnect, and the soft close function will begin to work again, but not for long. Eventually it will stop pulling the trunk closed again, and you will have to pull the fuse (or unhook the battery). This is only a temporary fix which could ultimately result in pump failure.

The problem is that the soft close latch is operated by air, and if there is a leak anywhere in the system, the pump times out, and the soft close function ceases to work until the system is reset.
On the latch mechanism, there are 4 air ports that Mercedes plugged with small ball bearings. The plastic around them ages and it cracks where these ball bearings are. The cracks allow air to escape, and here is the problem.
The solution is to buy some epoxy, and glue the outside of the ports and the inside of the ports shut.

OP
M

MJA 1970

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Thanks for the info
I will get it plugged in and let you know.

Cheers

OP
M

MJA 1970

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Update
Looks like slit vac pipe near hinge on boot lid.

Another question please looking at getting a current disc upgrade for the sat nav, dealer has a 2013/14 but my questions is will this change the graphics/display as well as the maps?

Also any other options with this?

Cheers

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks for the update- makes sense..
On the Nav discs I don't think it will change the display noticeably just the map update (that was my experience in the SL), someone recently was looking at this on here (can't remember who) and decided not to bother- the discs were I think £120 or so

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom