Issues matching green metallic paint

Marlo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2017
We bought a 17 plate a180 AMG in the lovely metallic green colour back in July. There was a small lump in the paint which looked like an object had snuck in when the car was being painted.

The dealership couldn't guarantee the repair so they ordered us a new car, exactly same spec and colour etc.

So, we picked up our 67 plate in September. A couple of days later we noticed the nose of this car was a slightly different green to the bonnet. It had a yellowish tinge to it.

So, off we went back to the dealership. This time they agreed to repair our original car and guarantee the repair (not sure why they didn't in the first place).

Anyway, they are now having problems getting the right colour match.

Has anyone else had green paint issues?

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
When you say 'nose' do you mean the grille area attached to the plastic front bumper?

If so plastic bumpers are always a slightly different colour, have a look on other cars.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
We bought a 17 plate a180 AMG in the lovely metallic green colour back in July. There was a small lump in the paint which looked like an object had snuck in when the car was being painted.

The dealership couldn't guarantee the repair so they ordered us a new car, exactly same spec and colour etc.

So, we picked up our 67 plate in September. A couple of days later we noticed the nose of this car was a slightly different green to the bonnet. It had a yellowish tinge to it.

So, off we went back to the dealership. This time they agreed to repair our original car and guarantee the repair (not sure why they didn't in the first place).

Anyway, they are now having problems getting the right colour match.

Has anyone else had green paint issues?

If its not the slight difference between painted plastic and painted metal; then I would want a perfect car myself.
Assuming all the money you paid was perfect i.e. Not a few fake notes ... then I would want a perfect car!
From the factory!
Unless you want to accept a second hand price. :)
One of The beauties of buying a new car, is you know for sure that its not been damaged and repaired.
One E Class coupe came with a dogy paint job, they let me drive it for 2.5 months untill the new order was fulfilled.

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
One of The beauties of buying a new car, is you know for sure that its not been damaged and repaired.

You know for sure? :rolleyes: So none of them scrape the transporter going on or off ... Years ago I knew someone that had a minor bump within days of collecting his brand new car ..... it revealed a handful of filler in the wing. Needless to say he took it back to the dealer ....

OP
M

Marlo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2017
It all turned out well in the end. We have our original car back now (which we wanted) and after a couple of tries, the paint work is a brilliant colour match.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
You know for sure? :rolleyes: So none of them scrape the transporter going on or off ... Years ago I knew someone that had a minor bump within days of collecting his brand new car ..... it revealed a handful of filler in the wing. Needless to say he took it back to the dealer ....

Exactly this ^
I know someone that worked with new cars. His mum ordered one and it got a dent in the roof in transit.
A quick rub down, fill and respray and it was delivered as brand new perfect condition.
The guy I know was told to keep it under his hat if he wanted to keep his job.
Not nice when it was getting delivered to his own mother.

Easy way to check a new car is to put a magnet in a dusting cloth and place it on several areas of each panel. Only works on steel panels if course.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Lots of "new"cars get repaired before they get delivered.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Years ago I was in a dealer just before a year letter change where they were fitting reg plates to the back of cars with things like 'new car' etc They were drilling the cars & using self tappers. :shock: The new owners would probably never know .... unless they removed their number plate for some reason.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom