Just serviced..."check engine oil on next refuel" message

rowedav

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C220d AMG Line
Hi there,

Please go easy on me - I've just bought my first MB (a c-class saloon, 220d) on Friday and already have an issue :-(

The car has 19k mile on the clock and was serviced by MB on 6k and 13k miles. The dealer I bought the car from (an indie, not MB) has also just serviced it on 19k miles. The service sheet clearly says in the comments box: "6ltrs oil"

I'd literally got 5mins down the road when a message popped up saying "Check engine oil level at next refuelling". If I hit OK, it clears. It does appear on the next journey though if I'm driving for more than 5-10mins and ok clears it again.

I've got it booked into to Mercedes next week to have it checked (that was the earliest appointment they had) and that is literally the day before the MB warranty expires(!)

I have just checked the oil as I've not used the car at all today and theres plenty of oil in it - looking at the dipstick maybe too much with oil on the top red part of the dipstick (would welcome opinions on this)
IMG_3091.JPG

Is this the type of message you'd get if there was too much oil or would you get a more specific message?

All help/comments gratefully received!

Thanks,
Dave

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I can't say for a model as new as yours, but if there is too little or too much oil, my E55 lets me know either way on the cluster message.
Can you take it back to the seller for them to check?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
modern motors,read headaches, have cats, they dont like the engine to be over full, cud be wrong but dats how i understand it , i remember my clk putting on big warning triangle going round fast corners with the oil a little over full, i was also deprived of full power unless i stopped and restarted and slowed up on the faster corners, near mont blanc i seem to remember. whatever, issue stopped at next oil change, not seen since

OP
R

rowedav

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C220d AMG Line
Thanks for the quick replies. I could take back to the dealer I got it - they're about 55miles away (but not too far from my works office) and I've made them aware of the issue. The sales guys recommendation was to go to my local Mercedes first before it runs out of warranty on 24/10, but with my appointment on 23rd that's obviously a week away from now. I could try to arrange to take it in to the seller one day this week.

Am I right in thinking if this was a serious issue, I wouldn't just be able to 'OK' the message away? I'm sure I've read somewhere that more urgent messages can't be cleared?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’m with Wighty on this, call Mobilo, you’re covered! Misleading oil values or overfill are both not desirable.
That said, any decent MB dealer should be able to check it while you wait without an appointment

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I’m with Wighty on this, call Mobilo, you’re covered! Misleading oil values or overfill are both not desirable.
That said, any decent MB dealer should be able to check it while you wait without an appointment
I just deleted my message when I re read the thread (that's a mouthful) and saw he had bourght from an Indy who had serviced it....in case that cancelled Mobilio ??

OP
R

rowedav

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C220d AMG Line
Yeah, the indie serviced it, and it's just over a year since the last MB service, so I don't think Mobilio will be active anymore.

I may take your advice and see if they can check it without an appointment...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I just deleted my message when I re read the thread (that's a mouthful) and saw he had bourght from an Indy who had serviced it....in case that cancelled Mobilio ??
Yikes you’re right!
Doh! Didn’t pick up on that- in that case it’s back to the Indy he mentioned, or just calling into the MB dealer nd asking them to do a check whilst he waits

OP
R

rowedav

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C220d AMG Line
Thanks chaps...will keep you posted :)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The oil sensor is quite sensitive, mine only has to be overfilled by less than half a litre to throw up the check oil level light, quite alarming the first time it does it and generally as the engine oil heats up and expands. If you have an extraction pump just draw off oil through the dipstick pipe until the level sits just below max

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
if u dont have pump ,and u keep car,thoughtfully designed without a drain plug yr going to need pump,so go halfords and get one draw out half litre ,reset, stop start see if all normal then if not go the 55 and get them to resolve. simples.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Looking at that oil, it certainly doesnt look like its just been changed!
Mine was a lot clearer/cleaner than the thinly smeared stuff higher up your blade after one year i.e. Just before a service. Yours is black ... on a 2014 19K ?

100ish miles after a service and my oil looks like tate and lyle golden syrup, and she is 2009 and 41,000 miles.

Did you get the oil hot, properly hot, and then let it drain down for 10 mins ... thats when to check the oil.
Mine can rise 5mm when hot. ( Mobil 1 ..really expands )
Also you have to wipe dipstick and then put it back, and then pull it out to see where the oil level is.

If that was cold you are seriously over the mark.
If it was mine just buy some clear plastic tubing from B&Q and suck out the excess, or just drive to any MB dealer and ask them to check it. Better to have a witness ***

Suggest you read about overfilled engine oil, and aerated oil? And frothing! ***

Who did you buy that off?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Looking at that oil, it certainly doesnt look like its just been changed!
Mine was a lot clearer/cleaner than the thinly smeared stuff higher up your blade after one year i.e. Just before a service. Yours is black ... on a 2014 19K ?

100ish miles after a service and my oil looks like tate and lyle golden syrup, and she is 2009 and 41,000 miles.

Did you get the oil hot, properly hot, and then let it drain down for 10 mins ... thats when to check the oil.
Also you have to wipe dipstick and then put it back, and then pull it out to see where the oil level is.

If that was cold you are seriously over the mark.
If it was mine just buy some clear plastic tubing from B&Q and suck out the excess, or just drive to any MB dealer and ask them to check it. Better to have a witness ***

Suggest you read about overfilled engine oil, and aerated oil? And frothing! ***

Who did you buy that off?
He's got a diesel , one turn of the engine and The oil is black immediately

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
That's recent oil - a bit dark from carbon particles, but it's still transparent.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.

This part is right though - they're designed to have to oil checked while you're at a garage after refuelling. So engine hot, then off for a few mins. Wipe the dipstick and reinsert it (did I really need to emphasise that?).

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
I'd take it back to the seller and get them to take some out. Even older diesels like mine don't like being over filled.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
This part is right though - they're designed to have to oil checked while you're at a garage after refuelling. So engine hot, then off for a few mins. Wipe the dipstick and reinsert it (did I really need to emphasise that?).

Looks like Dave wiped the lower critical end ;)

Paul B.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 ML 350
Hi there,

Please go easy on me - I've just bought my first MB (a c-class saloon, 220d) on Friday and already have an issue :-(

The car has 19k mile on the clock and was serviced by MB on 6k and 13k miles. The dealer I bought the car from (an indie, not MB) has also just serviced it on 19k miles. The service sheet clearly says in the comments box: "6ltrs oil"

I'd literally got 5mins down the road when a message popped up saying "Check engine oil level at next refuelling". If I hit OK, it clears. It does appear on the next journey though if I'm driving for more than 5-10mins and ok clears it again.

I've got it booked into to Mercedes next week to have it checked (that was the earliest appointment they had) and that is literally the day before the MB warranty expires(!)

I have just checked the oil as I've not used the car at all today and theres plenty of oil in it - looking at the dipstick maybe too much with oil on the top red part of the dipstick (would welcome opinions on this)
View attachment 39546

Is this the type of message you'd get if there was too much oil or would you get a more specific message?

Thanks,
Dave
Hi there,

View attachment 39546

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Did you ever get a good reply on this and how to correct? I am having the same issue. Just had my oil changed yesterday on my 2007 350 ML. Level just fine and message still coming on.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Hi Dave,

Did you ever get a good reply on this and how to correct? I am having the same issue. Just had my oil changed yesterday on my 2007 350 ML. Level just fine and message still coming on.

are you checking the level cold or hot? Though I've not had any issues with this ML350, my R320 went through a phase of telling me to check the level next time I refuelled, nothing was actually done to the car other than tested when the car was level & hot

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom