Key less GO systems

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 : SLK 200, AMG , R172 Eng' 271.861
Dear All,

Having acquired an SLK 200 one week ago it seems that I am forever posting questions on this website, accepting excellent answers to all my questions, yet contributing nothing in return. Its getting embarrassing but here I go again with a question which might put me back at loggerheads with the dodgy dealer I bought the car from.
Reading through the cars service history documentation there is a comment written in 2017 "Battery for KEYLESS-GO key replaced". Looking through the user manuals I now discover that there is reference to starting the car by means of the button which inserts into the ignition. I was not supplied with this button, neither was I made aware of it. Is this a standard feature on 2011 SLK 200s ? Or is it yet another expensive option? How do I find out whether the car had this option originally?
Is it reasonable to expect the dealer to provide this button if the car was originally equipped with it? If not where can I obtain such a button and dare I ask at what cost ( or estimated cost)?

Your advice as always would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Tedfred

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Frankly if it had KG I'd leave it as is. KG is a serious security hole.

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Frankly if it had KG I'd leave it as is. KG is a serious security hole.
Thanks for your response LostKiwi,
Yes, you have a good point, but I can not help feeling partially cheated if the car was supposed to be equipped with the "button" especially judged on my previous experience with the dealer.
One other point is that a future buyer ,if there ever was one, is bound to be better informed than me and will use the omission as a bargaining tool.

Regards
Tedfred

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Tell them it has been removed as a security precaution as keyless go is an open invitation to robbers.

You could download the data sheet and that should tell you if it had been fitted.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I bought this "start engine" button a while ago, as a prank (my car doesn't have this option) - it would certainly confuse any potential thief :) - but then I realised, I'm too lazy to keep sticking the button in, every time I leave the car, so I sold it.

You can buy one for between £12 and £18 on eBay or AliExpress.

As LK said, better leave this out anyway, even if you decide to buy one (for the next owner).

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Dear All,

Having acquired an SLK 200 one week ago it seems that I am forever posting questions on this website, accepting excellent answers to all my questions, yet contributing nothing in return. Its getting embarrassing but here I go again with a question which might put me back at loggerheads with the dodgy dealer I bought the car from.
Reading through the cars service history documentation there is a comment written in 2017 "Battery for KEYLESS-GO key replaced". Looking through the user manuals I now discover that there is reference to starting the car by means of the button which inserts into the ignition. I was not supplied with this button, neither was I made aware of it. Is this a standard feature on 2011 SLK 200s ? Or is it yet another expensive option? How do I find out whether the car had this option originally?
Is it reasonable to expect the dealer to provide this button if the car was originally equipped with it? If not where can I obtain such a button and dare I ask at what cost ( or estimated cost)?

Your advice as always would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Tedfred
If it has KG, the "start etc" button is on the end of the gear knob. If it doesn't, then the comment was probably a mistype.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If it has KG, the "start etc" button is on the end of the gear knob. If it doesn't, then the comment was probably a mistype.
On some vehicles (later ones) its a button in the key slot not on top of the gear stick.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On some vehicles (later ones) its a button in the key slot not on top of the gear stick.
Here it is:

34557440534_7a7098ce10_n.jpg

34526608734_8fd70ae96b_o.jpg

that's last year, before the HU and cluster upgrade ;)

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi All,
I am interested in GLK's suggestion that the device can be bought on eBay for 12 odd quid. If I was to buy one, taking all the comments regarding security in mind, how would I get it programmed? I assume that it should recognize the ingnition key ?
Many thanks for all your comments.
Regards
Tedfred

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't think anything need programming as the recognition is in the key itself and not the insert plug.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't think anything need programming as the recognition is in the key itself and not the insert plug.
That's my understanding too, and is also why it won't work with a non-KG system, like mine.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
as suggested check if the car ever had it from new...

probably not and your winding yourself up over nothing, the manuals explain any toy the car can have, not it has got

write the chassis number in one of many freely available websites and it will post back the exact built spec of your car

Merc call it the “Datacard”

If you cannot find the VIN, try putting your Vehicle Registration mark (VRM) in one of the following links.

https://www.mercedes-benzwarranty.co.uk/Start
https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Login/Index

These should generate the VIN from the Registration.

You should now have the VIN which needs to be put into one of the following sites.

http://mbfans.me/EN/mercedes/c/1 <<also has parts catalogue
http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check
http://www.vindecoderz.com/

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Easiest way to find out if it has keyless. Walk up to the car while it’s locked. Put your hand on the handle as if you were about to open the door. Does the car unlock? Yes - it has keyless or No - it does not.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Easiest way to find out if it has keyless. Walk up to the car while it’s locked. Put your hand on the handle as if you were about to open the door. Does the car unlock? Yes - it has keyless or No - it does not.

But doesn't the system need a card also, depending on the age of the car.

As said you are better off without it.
It's an open invitation for theifs to relay the signal and jump in your car, press the button and be away.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
But doesn't the system need a card also, depending on the age of the car.

As said you are better off without it.
It's an open invitation for theifs to relay the signal and jump in your car, press the button and be away.

Only if your too lazy to take the time to protect your car, there are a couple of ways to stop this ever happening.

Russ

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
p

If you cannot find the VIN, try putting your Vehicle Registration mark (VRM) in one of the following links.

https://www.mercedes-benzwarranty.co.uk/Start
https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Login/Index

These should generate the VIN from the Registration.
FYI. neither of these sites will give the Vin# from the Reg#. They haven't worked for quite a while.

The only one that does work is this one. You have to register, for free, but it does work for all brands.

http://www.blueprint-adl.com/blueprintlive/

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
jolly good, nice to know. But I hate giving away email address / privacy. One used to be able to check out the spec of any BMW by similar method with BM's own site#s but the gits changed it recently

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
jolly good, nice to know. But I hate giving away email address / privacy. One used to be able to check out the spec of any BMW by similar method with BM's own site#s but the gits changed it recently

Get a spare Gmail account just for this kind of registration.
Unfortunately the Mercedes warranty site doesn't give a Vin# from the Reg anymore either.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom