Later M271 engines , Better or not ?

TILTNTURN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200
Ok I lost my poor CLK 2006 1.8 Komp to the brutal dentist who stole most of Bobs teeth .

Ive deliberately avoided ANY mecs with a 1.8 engine because of this and I mean right upto year 2014 .

Decided to look at the Diesel 2.1 om651 engined models only to find similar probs .

Have they improved things with the single chain and sprokets and if so from when ?
Or am I reduced to bying a Kia 7yearitch model ?

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Go for the Kia ............. no seriously ............... Joint first with Volvo for reliability.

OP
TILTNTURN

TILTNTURN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200
OH Dont encourage the younger better looking with more hair { on her chest ! } half . Kia Picanto !!

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well work it out............. :)

If you only potter around locally do a bit of shopping and can walk home
or bus it back when things go t*ts up then go for the simplex chained Mercedes.

If you regularly travel distances use the car for long foreign trips depend on it to get you to work,
need something that will not cost a fortune to repair with 500% mark up on parts then ..........

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Ok I lost my poor CLK 2006 1.8 Komp to the brutal dentist who stole most of Bobs teeth .

Ive deliberately avoided ANY mecs with a 1.8 engine because of this and I mean right upto year 2014 .

Decided to look at the Diesel 2.1 om651 engined models only to find similar probs .

Have they improved things with the single chain and sprokets and if so from when ?
Or am I reduced to bying a Kia 7yearitch model ?
How many miles on it buddy before the teeth incident ?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you were looking at the Mercs , you could buy one , then get the chain and sprockets replaced and you are good for another 80k miles .

OP
TILTNTURN

TILTNTURN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200
How many miles on it buddy before the teeth incident ?
92k oil change every 5k bla bla bla . In Scotland they either want to charge a small fortune for said work or simply havent done it 0before but reckon its possible but looking at 20 odd hrs labour "Mate" ! One in Glasgow wants £1750 in chain set and sprockets plus labour .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
92k oil change every 5k bla bla bla . In Scotland they either want to charge a small fortune for said work or simply havent done it 0before but reckon its possible but looking at 20 odd hrs labour "Mate" ! One in Glasgow wants £1750 in chain set and sprockets plus labour .
I think the MB parts come in around 1k (labour on top) but don't quote me . You could drive south of the wall to an Indy which would be cheaper :D

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Just for the sake of argument,its a good job I did not see these posts before I bought my w212..........:shock: Would it have been a different story ??? I wont know now anyway....but seriously, in forums like these,90% of the posts are about different problems that are being experienced, and that's fair enough, but I am sure that someone thinking about buying a Merc ( or a VW, Audi, or any other make ) and reading the forum for that particular make, would be having 2nd thoughts.........So how about a few posts extolling the virtues of Mercedes? The ones with mega-mileage of comfortable driving? The ones who are committed MB owners, on their 3rd, 4th or maybe even more Merc.... and have absolutely no intention of driving something else either !!!! :D I'm sure that there are many dedicated Merc drivers out there, just they are not posting on the forum.
What do you think?
:):):):)
Jim2

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Just for the sake of argument,its a good job I did not see these posts before I bought my w212..........:shock: Would it have been a different story ??? I wont know now anyway....but seriously, in forums like these,90% of the posts are about different problems that are being experienced, and that's fair enough, but I am sure that someone thinking about buying a Merc ( or a VW, Audi, or any other make ) and reading the forum for that particular make, would be having 2nd thoughts.........So how about a few posts extolling the virtues of Mercedes? The ones with mega-mileage of comfortable driving? The ones who are committed MB owners, on their 3rd, 4th or maybe even more Merc.... and have absolutely no intention of driving something else either !!!! :D I'm sure that there are many dedicated Merc drivers out there, just they are not posting on the forum.
What do you think?
:):):):)
Jim2
Well I for one wouldn't drive anything else. I am on my third Mercedes without ever having an issue with one. You hear people saying they are too expensive to run, well here is somebody who say's they are not, they rarely go wrong so that is not necessarily the case, or at least that is my experience. :) However if you are in the big AMG market place that will be a slightly different matter :(

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Well I for one wouldn't drive anything else. I am on my third Mercedes without ever having an issue with one. You hear people saying they are too expensive to run, well here is somebody who say's they are not, they rarely go wrong so that is not necessarily the case, or at least that is my experience. :) However if you are in the big AMG market place that will be a slightly different matter :(

Ditto. We currently have three (and a half) and I've previously had 2 as well.
To date none have had major incidents and other marques have had more problems than the MBs. The 129 needed a new top engine loom but then it is 25 years old!

Audi S3 - exhaust rattled against the body whenever you drove through a big puddle. Went back 5 times and was stolen before it was resolved. High mileage ones suffer oil pump failure apparently but never got there.
Audi A8 - ate front suspension arms for breakfast. Then came back and ate more for lunch. Water pump was a proper sod of a job as was the cambelt. Factory exhaust rotted away as did the cats. All known issues.
Saab 900 (GM one) - more rattles than toys r us. Ate brakes for breakfast. Chewed tyres to death. Known to crack bulkheads.
Volvo S70 T5 - Top engine mount. Throttle body failure. MAF failure. Top engine mount. Water pump. Three coil packs. Did I mention top engine mount? They were known for all these problems and it didn't disappoint. Loved that car though...
Mazda 323F GT - Plug leads. CV joint (story to that). That's all.
Mazda Xedos 6 - Nothing. At all. (Especially not torque). I did only have it 18 months mind.
Fiat Punto 1.2 Sporting (MK2) - nothing (you were expecting a long list weren't you?). These were apparently renowned for electrical issues but never saw one.
Citroen BX 14RE - One rear door locking solenoid (another surprise?).
Saab 9-3 2.0t - where to start? Head gasket, water pump, fullest of rear suspension arms, 2 broken springs, tie rods, front arms.... I could go on forever. The council tried to charge me council tax on it I spent so long in or under it.
Toyota Land Cruiser Colorado - automatic gearbox failure. When dismantled it was full of rust as the radiator had cracked internally to allow coolant into the ATF cooler. Took over 2 months to sort. Known issue. Also failed elecrele diff lock on rear axle (known issue), rusted rear light mountings (known issue), alternator failure (known issue), 3 x centre exhaust boxes in 60k miles, water pump was grumbling when sold. That was the car MrsLK regrets me selling (but as a 3.4 V6 petrol it makes an SL500 look positively parsimonious).

Shows pretty much every car out there suffers issues, some catastrophic, some costly, some fairly minor.
On my own experience if I wanted total reliability I should buy a Fiat or a Mazda....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’m on my 4th and wouldn’t buy anything else as my ‘main’ car
50% success but even the 2 which gave me some grief gave a lot of pleasure and were special in them-self
My ‘big’ car is a Volvo XC90 but I only have that as Mercedes only have one real 7 seater (which isn’t a van) and that’s waay to expensive

OP
TILTNTURN

TILTNTURN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200
Its the Usual . The only peeps that generally come onto the forums are those With issues .
Def good if a bundle of bodies would come forth and tell us the good .

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
I’m on my 4th and wouldn’t buy anything else as my ‘main’ car
50% success but even the 2 which gave me some grief gave a lot of pleasure and were special in them-self
My ‘big’ car is a Volvo XC90 but I only have that as Mercedes only have one real 7 seater (which isn’t a van) and that’s waay to expensive

They have yet to make the 100% trouble-free car John, it's just a question of which cars give the least amount of trouble. Friend of mine ( Taxi Driver ) had a 211 320, at the last count, it had 900'000 miles done. It was showing 250'000 miles when he bought it, and he always maintained that it had been clocked !!!!!!! So if you track your costs ( fuel and maintenance / repairs ) and divide by your total mileage, it will show the true cost per kilometre / mile. ( And if you are a true masochist, you will add in the bank interest charges LOL ) That's the only realistic way to compare vehicles performance. Several of my friend's drive mercs,,, and it was their input persuaded me to buy my 1st merc, which TBH, in the few mths and 4'000 Klms I have driven it, has given me much pleasure. ( Long may it continue LOL )
Regards, Jim2

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Its the Usual . The only peeps that generally come onto the forums are those With issues .
Def good if a bundle of bodies would come forth and tell us the good .
Sadly we even get some on here with a problem, get it solved, have a moan then begger off, never to be seen again...not community minded at all. There was even someone yesterday came on to try and flog an over priced ‘one off’ example , never been on before and not so much as a by your leave....
(Rant over) :mad:

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
I know all cars have their + & -, but the feeling I get driving my Merc is the best. (even if it is illusionary). If I hadn't read about the M271 on here I would be even happier, but I'm realistic, every car I've ever had has died in the end, so I'm just going to enjoy this as long as it lasts. I'll keep posting my love of Mercs as long as that lasts as well.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Which is why I hate it when friends, neighbours, relatives and customers ask me to look for a car for them.

Unless they have a particular marque - model - specification I tell them they are all roughly the same these days,
depending on what particular badge you want to push around in front of you or impress the neighbours with.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom