221 S
204 C63
208 CLK Convertble
208 CLk 320
209 CLK 55
123 240D
170 SLK230
230 SL500

Im not particularly brand loyal and MB certainly aren't the best car about (Rust cough) but there is something that tickles me about them obviously.

Last edited:

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Undoubtedly the vast majority of people visit forums because they have a problem with their car and don't want or can't afford the expense of a garage repair and are looking for advice. So, they won't contain many glowing reports from satisfied owners.
With Mercedes of an age I can afford 10+ years there will be problems that arise and it will only be possible to effect an economic repair by doing it myself and this is a consideration that should be taken before buying what is quite a complex machine. But if you choose carefully you will get a car with lots of modern technology and good to drive at a price below a more mundane model with similar running costs.I've encountered a few in the two years I've had mine but all things considered I'm happy at the moment.
From new I had 2 ordinary and 5 GTI Golfs none of which caused any problems (still have a 30 year old GTD in daily use), 2 MR2 GT's which had a few and a Subaru WRX the only one I had for more than 3 years (6 years) which was absolutely reliable driven hard every day. So of the first ones none where kept beyond about 50K miles and even the Subaru was serviced by the dealer, so you wouldn't expect any problems. Now with a Mercedes of 12 years and 60K I can't expect the same so the old spanners had to come out.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Undoubtedly the vast majority of people visit forums because they have a problem with their car and don't want or can't afford the expense of a garage repair and are looking for advice. So, they won't contain many glowing reports from satisfied owners.
With Mercedes of an age I can afford 10+ years there will be problems that arise and it will only be possible to effect an economic repair by doing it myself and this is a consideration that should be taken before buying what is quite a complex machine. But if you choose carefully you will get a car with lots of modern technology and good to drive at a price below a more mundane model with similar running costs.I've encountered a few in the two years I've had mine but all things considered I'm happy at the moment.
From new I had 2 ordinary and 5 GTI Golfs none of which caused any problems (still have a 30 year old GTD in daily use), 2 MR2 GT's which had a few and a Subaru WRX the only one I had for more than 3 years (6 years) which was absolutely reliable driven hard every day. So of the first ones none where kept beyond about 50K miles and even the Subaru was serviced by the dealer, so you wouldn't expect any problems. Now with a Mercedes of 12 years and 60K I can't expect the same so the old spanners had to come out.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I agree completely Oldspanners...Its the price you pay for buying " Pre Loved " ( or not as the case may be...and it's only afterwards that you discover that not only were they not loved, but actually abused ,,,,,, :mad: ) But as they say, "You pays your money and you takes your chances....:). This is what I have done anyway, and so far, so good. Following the advice I received here on the forum I have done as much as can be done in the line of preventative maintenance, so now I will drive on, and hope for the best. One question for you Spanners, you mention that your Merc is 10 +years old, with only 60 K travelled. Normally I would consider a Merc with only 60K as barely run in....so I guess that the problems you are facing are age related? Especially perishable parts, Rubber Bushings etc?
Wishing you many more miles of happy motoring.
Regards, Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have had 1 X Vauxhaull 1 X Fiat, 1 X Renault and

168 a class
168 a class
210 e class
210 e class
210 e class
210 e class
202 C class
203 C class
203 C class
215 CL
221 S
204 C63
208 CLK Convertble
208 CLk 320
209 CLK 55
123 240D
170 SLK230
230 SL500

Not brand loyal????// I believe you ( but there are millions out there who would not, and they are not all in China either !!!! LOL ):D:D:D:D:D:D

Im not particularly brand loyal and MB certainly aren't the best car about (Rust cough) but there is something that tickles me about them obviously.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
I agree completely Oldspanners...Its the price you pay for buying " Pre Loved " ( or not as the case may be...and it's only afterwards that you discover that not only were they not loved, but actually abused ,,,,,, :mad: ) But as they say, "You pays your money and you takes your chances....:). This is what I have done anyway, and so far, so good. Following the advice I received here on the forum I have done as much as can be done in the line of preventative maintenance, so now I will drive on, and hope for the best. One question for you Spanners, you mention that your Merc is 10 +years old, with only 60 K travelled. Normally I would consider a Merc with only 60K as barely run in....so I guess that the problems you are facing are age related? Especially perishable parts, Rubber Bushings etc?
Wishing you many more miles of happy motoring.
Regards, Jim2
The problems;
Passenger seat electric motor wiring shorting, easy fix after dismantling.
Faulty after cat O2 sensor, changed.
Pilot bushing gear box oil leak, oil change and filter at the same time.
Cam magnet oil leak into wiring harness, changed, blockers fitted and connectors cleaned.
Heater flap operating arms, still to be attacked.
A self inflicted oil leak!
So, mostly just well known faults that may have been already fixed on a higher mileage car but I settled for this car mainly due to time pressure and fear of the dreaded single cam chain problem. Which is where this thread started.
Thanks, wishing the same to you.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom