Leaky seal 2003 SL55

titch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 2003
Hi,

With all the recent weather a mediorce problem has turned into a larger one resulting with a wet bum after any long night with consistant rain! The SL has a leaky roof, with water coming in from the driver side roof where the hard top touches the top of corner of the windscreen.

I have read vairous fixes on threads.. i.e. using vaseline, silicon sealant etc but nothing has worked to date.. any ideas?

In addition, I have also discovered a leak in the boot. Again driver side, where the little well of boot space was severely soaked and is now drying out in the bathroom.

How much would it cost to get the seals replaced and any ideas on where to get them changed cheap? If anyone has any ideas on easy fixes please enlighten me.:confused:

Kind Regards
Titch

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi,

With all the recent weather a mediorce problem has turned into a larger one resulting with a wet bum after any long night with consistant rain! The SL has a leaky roof, with water coming in from the driver side roof where the hard top touches the top of corner of the windscreen.

I have read various fixes on threads.. i.e. using vaseline, silicon sealant etc but nothing has worked to date.. any ideas?

In addition, I have also discovered a leak in the boot. Again driver side, where the little well of boot space was severely soaked and is now drying out in the bathroom.

How much would it cost to get the seals replaced and any ideas on where to get them changed cheap? If anyone has any ideas on easy fixes please enlighten me.:confused:

Kind Regards
Titch

One of the SL AMGs currently being used for the "Driving Experience" at MB World has the same problem! Suggests it is not unusual, and perhaps not so simple to fix?

OP
T

titch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 2003
Well if MB can't get it right on there own cars I suppose I'm doomed!!! lol

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Would you like the details of how to adjust this if possible

OP
T

titch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 2003
Yes please television!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry for the delay,,I have found this one that maybe your problem,,let me know what you think

OP
T

titch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 2003
Thanks Malcolm,

I'll give it a shot and let you know how I get on! :p

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm,

I'll give it a shot and let you know how I get on! :p

That was the area wher you say the leak is,, I do have more but that is the main one for your leak

tony5535

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 350SL, A170,ML320
water leaks

Malcolm, could you mail the details on repairing a leaky boot and water on carpet behind passenger seat on my '04 SL 350.
My email address is pendragon12@ntlworld.com

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would love some information also!!!!! rocky@hauhe.com

Thanks in advance

I cant do this until i have done another car and take the photo's
Please edit out your address for now,,and I will do it as soon as possible,,it is too hard without

Welcome to the forum

lalexander

New Registration
Reaction score
Leaky Roof

Sorry for the delay,,I have found this one that maybe your problem,,let me know what you think

Hi Malcolm, details of adjustment to prevent further front leakage would be appreciated

Thanks
Lex:)

Matt45

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230
Hi Malc,

Having read this thread I think this is a common problem. I occasionally get drips of water comming in at the windscreen roof joint just by the window where the trim bulges slightly around the locking point. I put it down to just heavy rain as I only notice it when I get in the car. With the door shut it's dry. However, I'd appreciate the adjustment notes you have to see if it helps. Could you PM me them or do you need my e'mail? Hope you're well, Matt

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm, details of adjustment to prevent further front leakage would be appreciated

Thanks
Lex:)

Hi Malc,

Having read this thread I think this is a common problem. I occasionally get drips of water comming in at the windscreen roof joint just by the window where the trim bulges slightly around the locking point. I put it down to just heavy rain as I only notice it when I get in the car. With the door shut it's dry. However, I'd appreciate the adjustment notes you have to see if it helps. Could you PM me them or do you need my e'mail? Hope you're well, Matt

I can give you this info,,but not today,,I am not feeling so good:(

SL500UK

Reaction score
Could I also have a copy please? mail to: many thanks.

Last edited:

Chillbrazil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Range Rover, 993 and SL
Hi
Been speaking to Malcolm on this water problem with my 04 SL with 13000m and just received a call today the MB Portsmouth, they were not interested and would be happy to lighten my pocket by £2600.00 to fix the problem and as I did not fit the criteria after applying for a goodwill gesture from MB they help no further.
I am astounded that a car like this should suffer a problem fundamental to is design yet alone be told I don't fit the criteria :confused: you cannot get much lower mileage. Seems to me the design is not fit for its intended purpose.
Anyone find any details on MB replacing and admitting to the fault, I found some info on an article in Evo stating that a fix was implemented on the 2005 and on models not sure if the rubber fixing / design changed.
C

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its a shame that we could not all have a big meet and do them all together :D:D

My car was out all last week and it stayed bone dry, so no problem with what I do.

The new rubbers are self adhesive, that is the only difference the design is the same,,in all they cost £4000.

I will take loads of pictures and do a very good complete write up and this is about 2 weeks away.

I had 2 struts fail at 15k miles and MB offered next to nothing to help out with

Chillbrazil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Range Rover, 993 and SL
Yes I think you are right, all lined up would make a lovely :rolleyes: publicity shot to send MB Europe.

Lovely day today so after opening the roof half way as advised lubed up all rubber and found as seems to be the case with most my rear rubber attached to the bottom of the glass was 'rotten'. Full of mess and peeling away, all others seemed ok. Why :confused: did MB in Portsmouth offer to replace ALL at £2600 when only the window one needs doing from what I can see, in fact the service fella told me it was only the rear. This has caused so much ill feeling with no one winning.

Given this I will need to purchase a new one, remove old and clean so when you have done your photos etc please do send a copy. Hopefully not to complicated only concern was how long can you leave the roof half open to get it off clean and refit the new one.

Thank you for all your help and assistance it is very much appreciated.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom