Led scuff plates

Big Gordy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Previous c200k coupe, c350 petrol coupe, clc220d, e350cdi coupe present E220d coupe 2015
Hi guys. Need a bright spark lol to help with wiring the LED scuff plates I bought. I need a source thats live when Car is unlocked but off when Car is locked. No use a source that goes live with key in ignition. I tried the footwell light but it’s on canbus and doesn’t work. Light on bottom of door works but I’m having a nightmare trying to get wires to it from inside cabin. Cigar lighter doesn’t go live till keys in. Any help would be Brilliant

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
I doubt you will find a usable live that works in the way you describe.
You could use a permanent live and go to the LED via a microswitch that switches on when the door is unlocked.
You would have to rig the switch up in a position next to the moving locking mechanism, so when the door unlocks, it pushes the microswitch arm.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You should be able to take a feed from the interior light.

OP
Big Gordy

Big Gordy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Previous c200k coupe, c350 petrol coupe, clc220d, e350cdi coupe present E220d coupe 2015
Think the lights on the door would be ok they don’t dim like the interior light do. Just watched s post on YouTube that shows how to do it although a different model should be similar.

OP
Big Gordy

Big Gordy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update for anyone wanting to fit led scuff plates. Piggy back onto the wires from either the red door light or the puddle light at bottom of the door it’s a bit awkward to get the wire thru into the cabin but it works perfectly. Led lights up with the door being opened without key in ignition.
There is a YouTube guide how to by a guy called Raymond Urias called how to install a light up door sill on a Mercedes Benz.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
That would be the usual way to do it but you said you wanted them on when the doors were unlocked and off when they were locked?

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When I retrofitted the illuminated door sills (OEM) to my car, I looked at the 'official' way to do it (I bought a brand new, full kit with the wiring harness), as per WIS, and decided it was too cumbersome - half the car had to be stripped, and SAM plugs re-pinned, etc.

Essentially the actuation for the door sills, is exactly the same as the courtesy door lights, as Big Gordy indicated above: ON when open, goes OFF after 5 min; and OFF when door is closed.

It was pretty easy to pick a signal off a door control modules, and feed through to the sills controls.

One thing to remember - at least for the C169 / W169 - the OEM lights are not run on 12V, and need their own power supply units, which come as a part of the wiring harness - something to remember, if buying used sills.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
When I retrofitted the illuminated door sills (OEM) to my car, I looked at the 'official' way to do it (I bought a brand new, full kit with the wiring harness), as per WIS, and decided it was too cumbersome - half the car had to be stripped, and SAM plugs re-pinned, etc.

Essentially the actuation for the door sills, is exactly the same as the courtesy door lights, as Big Gordy indicated above: ON when open, goes OFF after 5 min; and OFF when door is closed.

It was pretty easy to pick a signal off a door control modules, and feed through to the sills controls.

One thing to remember - at least for the C169 / W169 - the OEM lights are not run on 12V, and need their own power supply units, which come as a part of the wiring harness - something to remember, if buying used sills.

One of mine is scuffed so I found some with LED lights. Like you I looked up the officail WIS Upgrade process.
I was shocked at the amount of work involved. Honestly it would have been cheaper to upgrade the car than have that done in an MB shop!
OK I am not handy like you are, but the amount of stuff you have to strip out on a CL C216 is unbelievable.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, it's pretty much the same across the board, for a similar age models: carpet out, battery out (169/245 specific, as it's under the driver's feet), disconnected for sure for others; seats out; both sides of under the dash covering out; fuse box out and re-wired; glove box out; door seals partially out; SAM unplugged, at least two plugs re-pinned, etc etc - just insane ...

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Yes, it's pretty much the same across the board, for a similar age models: carpet out, battery out (169/245 specific, as it's under the driver's feet), disconnected for sure for others; seats out; both sides of under the dash covering out; fuse box out and re-wired; glove box out; door seals partially out; SAM unplugged, at least two plugs re-pinned, etc etc - just insane ...

Yep and there was dummy me thinking
It is probably a matter of pulling off scuff panel, and clip the wiring into some female connector on the harness and push back the new plate :):)
Lol!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom