Legally speeding and camaraderie with an Audi driver

gr1nch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus 2017 Iridium Silver over Black Nappa
A nice run legally speeding on the way from Innsbruck to Stuttgart yesterday. After nearly 3 months of keeping to national speed limits, it was great to see how far the new car would go and what my own comfort zone is re road speed. Heading north of 200kph, noticed that Distronic Plus maxes out at this point. Smoothly moved up to a sustained 240kph before having to slow for traffic. Then before heading off the autobahn, pushed the pedal to see if I could get to 250kph, which the car did with ease. Not bad for a 3 litre diesel!

* 240kph in top gear, D9, at 3K rpm. At 250kph I was too focused on driving to check the rpm!

For the high speed sections this Dutch registered V10 Audi (with a rarher nice exhaust note) kept us company, each doing our own thing of course, which turned out to be very similar. Early on, he slowed so I would pass, to see what car was keeping pace with him I guess, then he gave a wave as did I. Out "paths" crossed quite a few times, each with a respectful and interested wave. First time this camaraderie has happened to me, which was nice!

As this kind of camaraderie was new to me, I asked my wife to take a pic of the debadged Audi - an RS6 Avant maybe?
0c80ed5e9f1a5314a7c6538e905a50a3.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Driving at speed like that, my first thought was you need to go on a speed awareness course ;)
Then I read more and found you were very much aware of your speed :cool:

250kph is 155mph so I guess you hit the speed limiter but it would have been a soft touch so it wouldn't be noticed.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Sounds like a lovely experience. All I can say is Mrs gr1nch is very understanding! I didn't get much beyond 110mph when we were in Germany before Mrs L "asked" me to slow down :confused:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
My wife would be very loud vocally by then. In my younger days I did drive a Ferrari at 155mph on the A1. There wasn't the traffic around in those days of course. I have also been a passenger with Danny Blundell, Mark Blundell's father, a couple of times at that sort of speed, he drove everywhere flat out !! :rolleyes:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I did have a nice drive last year in Germany in a RS6 up to 280km/h, amazing how quickly you catch up the traffic in front!

ansta1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s500LWB/2002
I did have a nice drive last year in Germany in a RS6 up to 280km/h, amazing how quickly you catch up the traffic in front!

Having pushed the ageing s500l up to an indicated 140ish on a european road trip the other year. I was more interested in how what was a 'straight road' turns into a proper bend.

Top Bottom