Let the fun begin...

OP
LostKiwi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Well a few trips further on and the left rear strut is permanently wet with oil but isn't dripping. I'm thinking of making use of these guys to rebuild our strut:
http://www.rebuildmastertech.com/me...pneumatic-suspension-strut-single-2303200213/

As we're sending ours to them and getting the same one back it should minimise (or eliminate hopefully) import duty.

Its a bargain compared to UK pricing!!!
By comparison:
Aerosus want £888 exchange
Arnotts want £1419 exchange (!!)

Other options:
AliExpress - £600 outright (hmmmm - this is almost tempting)
eBay - £350 used
New genuine (ex USA) - $1500 + shipping and taxes

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Well a few trips further on and the left rear strut is permanently wet with oil but isn't dripping. I'm thinking of making use of these guys to rebuild our strut:
http://www.rebuildmastertech.com/me...pneumatic-suspension-strut-single-2303200213/

As we're sending ours to them and getting the same one back it should minimise (or eliminate hopefully) import duty.

Its a bargain compared to UK pricing!!!
By comparison:
Aerosus want £888 exchange
Arnotts want £1419 exchange (!!)

Other options:
AliExpress - £600 outright (hmmmm - this is almost tempting)
eBay - £350 used
New genuine (ex USA) - $1500 + shipping and taxes

Have you tried getting a price from MB UK? I would be really laity of having a rebuilt strut from a foreign source, especially that home of dodginess and shoddy foreign workmanship (the USA :) )

OP
LostKiwi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Have you tried getting a price from MB UK? I would be really laity of having a rebuilt strut from a foreign source, especially that home of dodginess and shoddy foreign workmanship (the USA :) )

I've emailed them to check on warranty. They say that:
This warranty is voided if the installation is not performed by an ASE certified technician / mechanic. It is required to submit a receipt or proof of installation that was completed by an ASE certified technician / mechanic with your warranty claim. You must email reciept or proof of installation by an ASE certified technician / mechanic to info@rebuildmastertech.com

Now given we don't have ASE certifications here (as far as I'm aware) that could be a show stopper so I've asked the question "What would they require for a UK customer in terms of warranty validation...."
The warranty in the US is lifetime so if they will honour that in the UK with appropriate paperwork its pretty much a done deal as far as I'm concerned!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom