Likely water ingress, thoughts please

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
The lovely new Viano, still not driven any distance by me, has been on axle stands for the best part of a week waiting for the weather to let up so I can replace the 2 front springs, I put the struts back on today in between rain showers.

The battery has been playing up and struggling to hold charge, problems with low voltage a few days ago I removed it and put a good battery into the passenger foot well and connected by jump leads, so it wasn't going to fail to lock at the end of a day.

When I did lock it the o/s indicators didn't flash just the n/s. Testing and the n/s dipped beam failed to illuminate. My thoughts were front SAM issue.

The removed battery charged, and seemingly holding charge (but we'll see) back in, and the same issue with the lights / indicators, voltage still looking good so not just low voltage (jump leads could cause volt drop too). Another fairly obvious check is water ingress round the screen and getting to the light switch, had that before on a C class where it confused the SAM, all dry, no issue there.

So today, jack up to put it back down on all four paws. Jack off the stand, lower stand a bit, round t'other side for same till all down.
Each time I jacked the nearside the n/s electric rear door opened itself. I wonder if some water sloshing about is causing the issue now.
To get to the top of the struts I need to remove plastic and metal trays that sit below the screen, recognising the risks of rain getting in easier I've been careful but at some point during previous repairs 'bits' have been omitted, such as 2 rubber below bonnet IP protectors.

Any thoughts as to where water might be to cause this,
or other reasons??

BTW sorry for the long read.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
sunroof drain tubes (if it has a sunroof) or (unlikely but possible) heater matrix? I'm assuming you have checked the usual heater drain points etc?

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not yet Pete, time, rain and all that.

The under bonnet drains were silted but not blocked. There are many leaves in various places.
It looks like I'll be learning where all the drains are on this.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I pulled the SAM this evening, screws missing suggest it's been out before.
Stripped down and there's no evidence of water ingress but I did notice the fuse enclosure is distorted and not sealing on a corner.

Anyway checking numbers of both the SAM case and the cct board and it looks like it's the same SAM as in the Vito 115, but before I order a pre owned, am I missing anything being as this is the V6 with many more toys?
I guess a replacement may need to see star to tell it there are side doors, sunroofs and such like??

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I swapped SAMs between the Vito and the Viano,
the faults transferred to the Vito, and the Viano was without faults, so at least I know the SAM is the problem.

Side doors, both sun roofs and the heated seats worked as they should.
I didn't check functionality of all toys but it seems possible a replacement SAM (from a 2.1 litre) will plug and play.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom